October 09, 2023
2515 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2716 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What KICKSTARTER(S) are you BACKING and WHY?

More
15 Jan 2020 09:20 #306174 by charlest
Batman was not great, agreed. Conan is magnificent though in my opinion and I was hesitantly looking forward to more Conan content. I don't want this versus system they're pitching though and this campaign is a disaster.

Fred Henry posted some comments in French on the Monolith forums that basically states the company is going to shut down if this doesn't fund. Said they still haven't turned much of a profit and he doesn't want to spend his time attending to a business that is not successful.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Jan 2020 09:25 - 15 Jan 2020 09:27 #306176 by the_jake_1973
I am an unabashed sucker for media surrounding the Battle of Britain. The story of Squadron 303 is fantastic. The Kickstarter for the game, 303 Squadron got it's hooks in deep. I liked the 303 game on the Polish Institute of Remembrance site, but never picked up the physical copy.

I'm excited to get it to the table. I'm also excited to paint the planes.
Last edit: 15 Jan 2020 09:27 by the_jake_1973.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Turek

More
15 Jan 2020 09:26 #306177 by jpat
The projection and the buzz suggest that the Conan KS will fail to meet its (fairly realistic?) funding point. I feel like this has already been beaten to death, but this Conan campaign confused nearly everyone and frustrated about as many. I'm not pledged, though I have most from 2015/16, but when you sort through the mess, there's not all that much for original backers, especially "king"-pledge backers, and what there is is either at a pretty high price point for what one gets or involves proxies. And there are no reprints of the boxed expansions, which I gather were prohibitive to make the first time and redo this time, but still.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
15 Jan 2020 09:40 #306178 by fightcitymayor

charlest wrote: Fred Henry posted some comments in French on the Monolith forums that basically states the company is going to shut down if this doesn't fund. Said they still haven't turned much of a profit and he doesn't want to spend his time attending to a business that is not successful.

Given their previous association, I wondered if Mythic would offer up a few shekels for some of their properties if Monolith were going under. But then I remembered Pascal Bernard is suing his Mythic pals for non-payment regarding the Joan Of Arc 1.5 Kickstarter, so money may be kinda tight right now. Not to mention the Mythic fracas escalating this week, with Pascal and Leo sparring in the Joan Of Arc BGG forums, so probably a bad time for them.

More
15 Jan 2020 09:42 #306179 by charlest
Yeah Mythic is having a ton of issues. I'd be fine if both Conan and Mythic Battles: Pantheon were done. Both feel more than complete to me.

More
15 Jan 2020 09:45 #306180 by Jackwraith

charlest wrote: Conan is magnificent though in my opinion and I was hesitantly looking forward to more Conan content.

I'm a huge Conan fan and was the only one of my group that appreciated Age of Conan at all. Since no one else would play it, I sold it and managed to trade for a copy of Monolith's Conan last year. The problem is that I still can't find enough Conan fans to play it, since most have only the vaguest connection to the stories via the 1980s film(s.) I'm so tempted to try to to trade for more of it, but it would just be more stuff sitting on my shelf, at this point. Maybe it will be easier/cheaper to obtain if/when Monolith implodes and people sign off with no more content being produced.

More
15 Jan 2020 10:40 #306187 by Josh Look

charlest wrote: Fred Henry posted some comments in French on the Monolith forums that basically states the company is going to shut down if this doesn't fund. Said they still haven't turned much of a profit and he doesn't want to spend his time attending to a business that is not successful.

Wait, you’re telling me that a publisher founded on a big, everything in one go, 5 years worth of material in one project, some of it works, some of it doesn’t, some of it you just kind of figure out for yourself that followed that project up with an even bigger, more bloated, haphazardly thrown together game that pays respect to its IP in name alone and that they found a Den of Geek article about the top 10 weirdest Batman characters is having financial woes? Huh. Color me surprised.

Good. I hope it crashes and burns. Conan was great if sloppy fun, but responsibility for Batman and some terrible business choices should result in being snuffed out. And this going on social media and belly aching about how you’re not making money (when the solutions should have been obvious) and that you’re going to shut down the company is some cry for attention bullshit of the worst kind.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Msample, Frohike

More
15 Jan 2020 10:45 #306188 by Josh Look

Jackwraith wrote:

charlest wrote: Conan is magnificent though in my opinion and I was hesitantly looking forward to more Conan content.

I'm a huge Conan fan and was the only one of my group that appreciated Age of Conan at all. Since no one else would play it, I sold it and managed to trade for a copy of Monolith's Conan last year. The problem is that I still can't find enough Conan fans to play it, since most have only the vaguest connection to the stories via the 1980s film(s.) I'm so tempted to try to to trade for more of it, but it would just be more stuff sitting on my shelf, at this point. Maybe it will be easier/cheaper to obtain if/when Monolith implodes and people sign off with no more content being produced.

(I’m going to come across as being heavy handed here, but please don’t take my tone as me being serious)

Tell your group to stop being shallow and getting hung up on the IP and just sit down and enjoy one of the best skirmish and 1vAll games of the last 10 years. If they continue to protest, call them all dogs, draw your sword and decapitate them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Jackwraith, Frohike

More
15 Jan 2020 11:05 #306190 by hotseatgames
I sold Conan after 2 plays, bought DOOM, and never regretted it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith, Josh Look

More
15 Jan 2020 11:18 #306196 by Josh Look

hotseatgames wrote: I sold Conan after 2 plays, bought DOOM, and never regretted it.

You know, I think that was the right move.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
15 Jan 2020 12:00 #306211 by n815e
There is a retail copy of Conan at my flgs and I’ve been wondering if it is worth it or if it is missing a lot of good (or necessary) ks content, as so many retail versions of ks games do.

I have been looking at this new ks and thinking they could have done a better job.

It would be a shame to see Monolith fail, I was looking forward to Mythic Battles Ragnarok after getting Pantheon and absolutely loving it.

I am glad I had second thoughts about Joan of Arc and only pledged the $6 to wait and see. That is a mess and someone on Reddit pointed out one of the original partners is running the company that has the messy Confrontation ks, which also lost the Call of Cthulhu license due to not paying royalties. So who knows. In any case, it’s not something I want to risk any money on any longer.

More
15 Jan 2020 15:41 #306217 by Jackwraith

hotseatgames wrote: I sold Conan after 2 plays, bought DOOM, and never regretted it.

I, uh, actually have both. I forgot about Doom when I was thinking about 1vAlls I own as I was writing a few thousand words about The Others.

@Josh: I agree that they could try a little harder. But I have trouble steering most of them away from Euros most of the time. I have two hardcore reliables that will play ANYTHING, but everyone else is a random draw.

More
15 Jan 2020 16:50 #306219 by cdennett
And Beyond the Monolith is officially dead: final Update .

Sounds like the Conan fans will get what you want in a couple of months with a project only for Adventure Mode. Personally I have no love for the Conan source material outside of the 80s movies (and the representation in the game is horrendous). I'll just maybe try some variants on the Batman game to see if I can tease out the fun from my box of toys.

More
15 Jan 2020 20:17 #306231 by drewcula

Josh Look wrote: I wouldn’t go anywhere near anything by Monolith after how tremendously awful Batman was. Has to be my pick for the worst game of 2019.

Worst? Fascinating. I dig it. I've only played 6x, and the icon salad is a bit much - but my familiarity with Conan* helped my understanding of the rules. I've also been having a good time painting it.

* I think I prefer Conan.

More
15 Jan 2020 21:43 #306236 by Frohike
I’ve been trying to put my finger on the reasoning that makes me feel ok about Monolith’s KS being shut down by a vocal (& fiscally withholding) fan base while feeling nothing but exasperation for the hypercritical/demanding fans in the Oath campaign. I think it comes down to the cynical FOMO culture that Monolith decided to instrumentalize, only to discover that it had... sort of created a monster. On the other hand, Leder Games seems to just be getting the usual background radiation of any contemporary KS campaign and hasn’t fanned the flames with stretch goal idiocy, etc. I guess it comes down to a basic idea: mind what you are cultivating.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Gary Sax, Msample, Jackwraith, fightcitymayor

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.367 seconds