October 09, 2023
2218 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2438 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
31 Oct 2009 20:49 - 14 Jan 2012 20:05 #45861 by ubarose
Tell us what movies you have been watching.

• Use this thread for short, conversational posts and updates only, NOT in depth reports, lengthy discussions, mini-reviews, recommendation requests etc.
• Please start new threads in the Movies and TV forum for longer, more in depth posts and discussions of specific Movies and related topics.
Last edit: 14 Jan 2012 20:05 by ubarose.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Jun 2015 22:35 #204729 by SebastianBludd
Mad Max: Fury Road is only showing in two places around here so I decided to take my son and his cousin to see it before it's out of theaters. It was even better the second time; I knew what was coming so I could soak up all of the little details I overlooked the first time. This time I noticed that the way the double-barreled shotgun is used (a misfire, and used to coerce even though it's empty) mimics how it's used in The Road Warrior, and I finally caught on to the double-meaning of the War Boys calling each other "Half-Life," where Half-Life could be construed to refer both to the radioactive decay that sickens them as well as their Valhalla death cult.

Another detail that clicked was how The Dag (i.e., the skinny, feisty blond who isn't Splendid) is set up as the parallel to the old woman who has the heirloom seeds. I think the movie means to imply that she has an affinity for old books because, after establishing the books in the breeders' chamber, she quotes something she's read (I think it was a quote, it sounded like one) when she spots the war parties on the horizon after their first encounter with Max. Then she's the one who bonds with the seed woman and takes the satchel after she dies. Considering that, as well as the fact that she gets one of the movie's best lines ("He's a smeg who eats schlanger!"), I think she's my favorite of the wives.

My favorite part of taking my son was how he looked at me at least 3 times during the film with an incredulous smile that said, "What the hell am I looking at?" I got that look from him during the first big action scene with the russians, and also near the end when the pole cats attacked.

On an unrelated note, I would support a change of the "Thank You" button to "Awesome!", "Witness!", or even, "What a Lovely Post!"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Turek, Cranberries, JMcL63, Black Barney, Gregarius

More
21 Jun 2015 23:43 #204731 by Gary Sax
Yeah, I like "Awesome!" or "What a Lovely Post!" too... good idea.

More
22 Jun 2015 03:29 #204734 by Hex Sinister
Saw a matinee of Dino World 4... it's just what you think it's going to be like. I didn't hate it but it wasn't even "next level" and franchise innovations were nil. Super unimaginative 2 stars.

In the evening we switched up and played Melancholia by LVT. Man, it's as sad and heavy as expected but super good. I was kind of anxious for it to be over because it was draining, emotionally. I was probably over emotional about it but if you're going to watch something like this and you don't open those doors then you might as well not bother to begin with. Unforgettable film.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gregarius

More
22 Jun 2015 08:22 #204735 by charlest
Boyhood was ok, nothing special in my opinion. If they didn't film it in the way they did it would be a quickly forgotten movie.

Rewatched Prometheus (haven't seen it since theaters) and still enjoyed it despite some of the stupid elements.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
22 Jun 2015 10:37 #204744 by Shellhead
The Rum Diaries was okay. It was a thinly-veiled account of an early phase in Hunter S. Thompson's career as a journalist. It's been many years since I read the book, but the movie seemed to have more of a story to tell than the random but interesting observations of the book. Depp does a decent job, but the material is a bit thin. The visuals are nice and the music is very good. The villain of the piece is played by the same actor who played Two-Face in The Dark Knight. The film comes across a bit like a comic book origin for Hunter S. Thompson, as his stand-in character vows to expose and battle greed and corruption wherever he encounters it. The movie is a moderately enjoyable way to spend a couple of hours.

More
22 Jun 2015 10:50 #204747 by Black Barney
Seb, after four times seeing the movie, the Dag has also really warmed up to me. She's super feisty and judgmental. Are those her real teeth or is that a special effect? I still have the redhead as my favourite but the young one who wants to bolt and give herself back to Joe is obviously adorable.

...nope, gotta stick with the redhead. she's my manifest destiny.

charlest wrote: Boyhood was ok, nothing special in my opinion. If they didn't film it in the way they did it would be a quickly forgotten movie.

Rewatched Prometheus (haven't seen it since theaters) and still enjoyed it despite some of the stupid elements.

GAH!! I can take the not digging Boyhood, but to have that in the same post that then insinuates that Prometheus is the better movie....ouf, that I cannot abide. Time to give you up to the Lord of Light.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
22 Jun 2015 10:54 #204748 by charlest

Black Barney wrote: Seb, after four times seeing the movie, the Dag has also really warmed up to me. She's super feisty and judgmental. Are those her real teeth or is that a special effect? I still have the redhead as my favourite but the young one who wants to bolt and give herself back to Joe is obviously adorable.

...nope, gotta stick with the redhead. she's my manifest destiny.

charlest wrote: Boyhood was ok, nothing special in my opinion. If they didn't film it in the way they did it would be a quickly forgotten movie.

GAH!! I can take the not digging Boyhood, but to have that in the same post that then insinuates that Prometheus is the better movie....ouf, that I cannot abide. Time to give you up to the Lord of Light.

If I said I find Melisandre more attractive than any of the women in Fury Road, would that twist the knife a bit more?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
22 Jun 2015 11:16 #204752 by Shellhead
Prometheus is easily one of the most disappointing movies that I've ever seen. It's still visually impressive, so hopefully the next time that I watch it will be with the sound off and some good music playing instead.

More
22 Jun 2015 11:29 #204754 by ChristopherMD

Black Barney wrote: GAH!! I can take the not digging Boyhood, but to have that in the same post that then insinuates that Prometheus is the better movie....ouf, that I cannot abide. Time to give you up to the Lord of Light.

This from the guy who keeps comparing Mad Max with Phantom Menace and Gravity. Time to give you to Ramsey Bolton.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, charlest

More
22 Jun 2015 15:53 - 22 Jun 2015 15:54 #204768 by Black Barney
TAKE IT BACK! I'LL HAVE NIGHTMARES!

Also, i'm hung like a Greyjoy so that could be even more of a tragedy than burning a little girl alive.
(how focked up of a TV show is it to be able to say sentences like that)

Mad dog, i think you're oversimplying (in true Barney strawman fashion) what I said. I'm not comparing Mad Max quality to Phantom Menace (which is worse) or Gravity (which is better, shoot me), I'm saying these movies have the heroin-type initial rush the first time you see them that you need that hit again, right now...again, hit me again....

Shellhead, I agree about the disappointment factor of Prometheus, epic disappointment. Which was more disappointing though, Prometheus or Tron Legacy?

charlest, yes that would twist that knife more :) I've got questionable taste in women but wow is that observation of yours ever hard to process. If we want to go full geek we should stack up the Dag versus the Mother of Dragons.

edit: the style of this post reminds me of when I used to post in BBS forums
Last edit: 22 Jun 2015 15:54 by Black Barney.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
22 Jun 2015 16:16 #204769 by ChristopherMD

Black Barney wrote: Mad dog, i think you're oversimplying (in true Barney strawman fashion) what I said. I'm not comparing Mad Max quality to Phantom Menace (which is worse) or Gravity (which is better, shoot me), I'm saying these movies have the heroin-type initial rush the first time you see them that you need that hit again, right now...again, hit me again....

I was oversimplifying as a joke. Unfortunately now you actually said that piece of shit Gravity was better than Mad Max: Fury Road. I didn't feel any rush to see Phantom Menace or Gravity again...ever...ever again. Fury Road I will assuredly watch many, many times. You should be taken out and shot for your incorrect opinions.

More
22 Jun 2015 16:23 #204771 by SebastianBludd

charlest wrote: If I said I find Melisandre more attractive than any of the women in Fury Road, would that twist the knife a bit more?

Melisandre haughtiness reminds me of what I imagine an art teacher at a community college would be - where her pretentions outpace her actual ability - so she loses points for that, but she's been topless about a dozen times, so she edges out the redhead in Fury Road.

Black Barney wrote: If we want to go full geek we should stack up the Dag versus the Mother of Dragons.

The Dag, easily. Daenerys is prettier, but TD trounces her when it comes to personality. I'd listen to her curse me out in Australian slang and watch her kick chastity belts all day.

More
22 Jun 2015 16:53 #204779 by Shellhead
I am disappointed with the tv version of Daenerys. While reading the books, I was expecting something along the lines of a non-buff Barbara Denton Norris (Marvel's Valkyrie). The tv show Dany has these huge gigantic eyebrows in some color that is apparently darker than black. I can't even focus on what she is saying because I am so distracted by those eyebrows.

More
22 Jun 2015 18:21 #204790 by Black Barney
I'm distracted that Emily Clarke doesn't want to do anymore nude scenes in a role she chose to accept that launched her into stardom. Her nekkid isn't anything to write home about, it's not that, it's just the principle of the thing. It would be like Suzie on Curb saying halfway through season 3, "i don't want to swear anymore on the show."

Seb, I totally get that. I want to go for dinner with TD so bad just to hopefully see her get annoyed with me, judge me and then curse me out. I think you're right about Dany, I think she would just be above all that the entire meal and i'd get bored to bits. Besides, I'd feel guilty stepping in the way of Mormont.

Mad dog, after you saw Phantom Menace the first time, you didn't want to see it again?

speaking of which did anyone see that Jake Lloyd just got arrested?

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.153 seconds