October 09, 2023
2518 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2721 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What VIDEO GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
02 Apr 2021 13:33 #321607 by Michael Barnes
I played some more of it and it is really interesting- I’m about 3-4 hours in and it is probably not at all what you would expect. Imagine Planescape Torment with no combat, all RP. In fact, I think it may be absolutely groundbreaking in how it introduces something that feels very much like real RP to a video game. It’s tons of dialogue, and the choices you get are RP choices that are shaping a character. Since the character has amnesia, it really seems to be about making this character through play. You have something like 24 internal voices that speak to you and may or may not influence your decisions. There are tons of skills but they are nothing like what you might expect.

Last night I had this dialogue with these two kids that may be one of the most intricately written exchanges I’ve seen in a video game. The whole dynamic Of the conversation shifts like 4 times. And wound up with a totally unanticipated outcome.

It’s a very, very interesting game. I’m not 100% sure it is going to hold my interest- I think some of it is needlessly opaque and it is like all dialogue...but it is also pretty experimental and innovative.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, jpat

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Apr 2021 14:02 #321608 by Gary Sax
How is the voice acting? That part is new for this release.

More
02 Apr 2021 14:55 #321610 by hotseatgames
There was a steam game festival a few weeks back, and a demo for a game called Intravenous came out then. After the festival, for whatever reason, the demo was made unavailable. However, if you go on the developer's discord, you can find a link to a list of steam keys for the demo. I snagged one and have been trying it out.

It is essentially Hotline Miami (one of my all time favorite games) meets Metal Gear Solid. Sounds like a recipe for success, right? I am not so sure yet. The demo is a single mission, in which you are tasked with eliminating all 17 enemies. I have never made it past 2 enemies without dying. The difficulty is incredible. Hopefully the full release makes "easy" difficulty WAY FUCKING EASIER. That aside, I like what the game has going on. But if it doesn't get easier, there is no way I'll be able to play it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen

More
02 Apr 2021 17:09 #321613 by Michael Barnes
So far the voice acting is really good- lots of personality and inflection. They definitely put some effort into it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
04 Apr 2021 11:03 #321636 by hotseatgames
Had the itch to play some more Borderlands 3, but my character is max level and completely loaded with legendary gear. I can steamroll most encounters. While that is fun, it does get old.

The solution was picking up the season 2 pass, which adds a mode called Arms Race. This is basically the battle royale I've always wanted, which is one with no multiplayer. You start with nothing, and your character can't use any abilities. This makes every piece of gear matter again, whereas before, I wouldn't even read the text on anything that wasn't legendary because I knew I was just going to sell it.

This mode is hard, especially solo. You can go around to these stations in the map (which is large, but in true battle royale fashion, is ever-shrinking) and basically teleport loot out of the map for safe keeping. If you survive the whole encounter, which I have done one time, you can keep everything you acquired. Somehow, when I won, I still managed to do this wrong and lost 4 legendaries in the process. Oh well, I'll figure it out the next time I win.

More
04 Apr 2021 14:52 #321644 by ubarose
I've gotten sucked into Graveyard Keeper. It's Stardew Vally, except you tend a Graveyard instead of a farm, and harvest meat from from the corpses. It's all pretty tongue in cheek. It's on sale on Steam for like $5.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, Gary Sax, hotseatgames

More
04 Apr 2021 16:14 #321646 by hotseatgames
That reminds me, I've also been playing Undermine, which is on game pass. It's essentially the mining portion of Stardew Valley, which works for me since that was my favorite part.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
04 Apr 2021 16:16 - 04 Apr 2021 16:17 #321648 by Gary Sax
Started playing battletech, which I picked up the expansions for recently. Just a very solid turn based tactics game with fun management aspects.
Last edit: 04 Apr 2021 16:17 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jpat, jason10mm

More
04 Apr 2021 16:39 #321649 by hotseatgames
Battletech is cool. I just have the base game and didn't spend as much time with it as I would have liked. Kind of how it goes with me and turn based games. I love them but usually fall off.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Ah_Pook

More
05 Apr 2021 09:46 #321660 by jason10mm
I liked Battletech quite a bit although there are some definite exploits around the knockdown capability that favor specific builds.

And be prepared to have mechwarriors LIVE in the med bay. I think a few of mine get discharged, go on a mission the next day, and BAM, back in traction for another 2 months :p
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, Gary Sax, BillyBobThwarton

More
05 Apr 2021 11:04 #321666 by Rliyen
After finishing work last Thursday, and in looking forward to a long weekend with the family, I dusted off Payday 2 to clear some more achievements. I'm becoming rather jaded on the Overkill skill rating for heists, so I dipped my toe into Mayhem. Mayhem is just like Overkill, only with more bodies they throw at you. Once I get fully comfortable, I may make it my default to play, as Overkill is my default normal. Anything less is not a challenge.

Anyway, I get to the splash screen, and what do I see? A community event challenge, gilding the spoon. What the Hell? So I click on the picture. Up comes a fill bar graphic, with the spoon being the bar and I notice it's about a third full. The devs came up with a silly challenge - 5,000,000 kills with the Comically Large Spoon. The only real requirement is that you opt in to have your metrics tracked (for kill purposes). So what do I do? Equip the CLS and begin braining police officers with it. By Saturday evening, the goal was met. I got an achievement and the CLS of Gold. It's actually a decent melee weapon and every so often, it sets the LEO on fire when they get hit. My guess is that it's a wink and a nod to the bar graph being full and the end of the spoon is wreathed in flames. My 12 year old self came out on occasion when using it, repeating a stupid meme line - GO TO HORNY JAIL *BONK*

More
05 Apr 2021 11:24 #321671 by RobertB

jason10mm wrote: I liked Battletech quite a bit although there are some definite exploits around the knockdown capability that favor specific builds.

And be prepared to have mechwarriors LIVE in the med bay. I think a few of mine get discharged, go on a mission the next day, and BAM, back in traction for another 2 months :p

I just about pulled the trigger on Mechwarrior 5 after I finished the Battletech campaign game. I see that it's marked down a little bit, and I still might pull the trigger.

Still playing Valheim. Remember, if you're using portals to make exploration easy, be sure to label them when you build them, lest you die and have to run all the way back.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
05 Apr 2021 12:08 - 05 Apr 2021 12:13 #321672 by Shellhead
Returned to Vampire: Bloodlines after a lengthy hiatus. Due to another significant delay in the release of Bloodlines 2, I haven't been feeling any particular time pressure. I left off in the middle of Pump Station 118A, the single most difficult part of the whole game. The first time that I played, back in 2004-5, this room was still slightly buggy, so I ended up using the no-clip cheat for the first and only time of my gaming career. No-clip turns your pc game character into a ghost who can just glide through walls, doors, and other barriers. I'm going to go into spoilers here because this game has been around a long time, and because this room is ridiculously difficult compared to the rest of the game.

Pump Station 118A is somewhere underneath Los Angeles, and is a subterranean water pumping station that is part of the water treatment system. I was trying to navigate out of the maze of sewer tunnels and crossed a metal walkway that abruptly collapsed, dumping me into a large, slightly flooded chamber. There are control panels on one side of the room and large fusebox thingie on another wall, and both are throwing off scary showers of sparks and small lightning. There are also some wooden pallets and rusty metal drums floating in the shallow water. Near the control panels, there is a ladder going up to the remains of the catwalk plus more control panels and a door, but the ladder is occasionally lit up like a Jacob's Ladder. And there are also some smallish but nasty monsters on the catwalk, easily dispatched if alone but more of a threat in a small group.

Spoilers:
Warning: Spoiler!

I wanted to try a few more times and get out of this difficult room, but my lack of recent play left me vulnerable to a touch of motion sickness from the game. So I called it quits for now, but will return soon. Worst case scenario, I will use the no-clip cheat again, but that shouldn't be necessary. And no-clip can produce more extreme disorientation and vertigo, because suddenly movement is way too fast.
Last edit: 05 Apr 2021 12:13 by Shellhead. Reason: spoilers
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
06 Apr 2021 11:59 #321715 by jpat
Using my new PC on Xbox Game Pass for now, playing Forza Horizon 4 and downloaded Star Wars Squadrons. Fun so far.

More
06 Apr 2021 17:25 #321738 by Shellhead

Michael Barnes wrote: It’s a very, very interesting game. I’m not 100% sure it is going to hold my interest- I think some of it is needlessly opaque and it is like all dialogue...but it is also pretty experimental and innovative.

hard-drive.net/frustrated-gamer-looks-up...s-for-disco-elysium/

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 2.306 seconds