October 09, 2023
2522 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2723 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching?

More
31 Dec 2018 10:26 #288934 by Gregarius

Grudunza wrote:

Gregarius wrote: Well, that's frustrating to hear. I was looking forward to watching it, but now I'm not sure if it's worth the effort.

Do you like the book? If so, it’s definitely worth watching. In some respects it’s quite good, and definitely captures what’s great and epic about the story. I enjoyed my time with it, for sure. Just disappointed that it wasn’t better animated, when we clearly have the capability now to do that very well.

I couldn't stop myself from watching it anyway (I still have the last episode to watch).

The voice acting and story are great, but that animation is so distracting. It looks like a cutscene from an old video game. And something about the rabbits' legs looks off to me, so that they look more like crouched dogs.

So, basically, I'm liking it and disliking it at the same time.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Dec 2018 10:47 #288937 by Sagrilarus
(Letterkenny)

Black Barney wrote: Can’t help you. I’m the only one up here that isn’t a fan

It's like watching a bunch of auctioneers do a sitcom. Even if you understand all the references you need to concentrate just to keep up with them.

I'm only two episodes in, and I don't see how they can keep it up show after show.

More
31 Dec 2018 11:09 #288940 by stormseeker75
We just finished season 1 of Happy. What a fantastic show. It's incredibly weird. The acting is fantastic. If you want something different and don't mind ridiculously over the top violence, this is entertaining.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

More
31 Dec 2018 11:10 #288941 by hotseatgames
Started watching Baki on Netflix. It's an over the top anime essentially re-creating Bloodsport. Not for children.

More
31 Dec 2018 11:40 #288945 by Jackwraith
About halfway through Trotsky on Netflix. I like it because it's an opportunity to teach my girlfriend about a lot of early 20th-century radical politics and contrasting viewpoints. It has good production quality. I can't say that there are any performances that stand out. They've taken a certain amount of creative license with Trotsky's overall character, too, since he's being played as far more the egotist than most of his writing and contemporaneous accounts would indicate. It's worth a look-see if you don't mind subtitles (plus Russian voiceover when they're speaking Spanish in the Mexico City scenes) and/or have any interest in the history.

More
31 Dec 2018 16:50 #288961 by Colorcrayons
I've been watching Louis C K.'s show 'Horace and Pete' on YouTube.

It's like watching a many hours long theater drama. It has the same pacing with effective use of silence and scene management.

The humor can be on the rather dark side. For viewers of Louis, this is not surprising and on par.

Lots of good thespians here. Alan alda, Steve buscemi, etc.

I enjoy the portrayals of honesty on display. One 45min long episode consisted solely of Laurie Metcalf exposing dark secrets to her ex Louis. Just pure dialogue between the two If you like unmade beds, then you might like this short series too.

A point of trivia about it on YouTube is the lack of the music by Paul Simon. I'm assuming this muting is to circumvent YouTube's copyright detection algorhythm.

More
01 Jan 2019 14:40 #288994 by hotseatgames
Louis CK can go fuck himself.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jay718, repoman, GorillaGrody

More
01 Jan 2019 20:36 #289010 by Black Barney
were his comments about the Parkland survivors part of a comedy routine or was it just off the cuff?

More
01 Jan 2019 21:24 #289012 by hotseatgames
A "comedy" routine.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
02 Jan 2019 08:13 #289031 by Black Barney
Right so then it’s fine, no? You take any sound bite out of an Anthony Jeslynk piece out of context and he will sound like a monster.

Btw, I didn’t find what Louis said to be funny , nor did I agree with it, but this is a common sense thing. I think people just really need lightning rods to hate these days

More
02 Jan 2019 10:34 - 02 Jan 2019 10:43 #289063 by repoman
Been watching season two of The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel on prime. It's interesting to watch after having binged watched all 7 seasons of Gilmore Girls on which Amy Sherman-Palladino, who is the creator of Maisel, was the creator and also a writer.

I am a fan of the Gilmore Girls or a fan of the early seasons. I felt the show began a slow decline and it became more and more pretentious and self indulgent as time went on. The "Mary Sue" aspect of Rory became increasingly apparent and annoying. The need to keep Luke and Lorelei apart in order to keep the show going was also a death blow.

Anyway, there is a lot of awesome in the new season of Maisel. The rapid fire dialog is still entertaining and the acting is top notch. Yet, I sense some of the same flaws creeping into the show that killed Gilmore Girls. I particularly don't like the cast of supporting characters becoming more and more "kooky". Like the residents of Star's Hollow or in a similar way to the town's folk on Northern Exposure, though that was written and created by someone altogether different.
Last edit: 02 Jan 2019 10:43 by repoman.

More
02 Jan 2019 11:33 - 02 Jan 2019 11:34 #289077 by Sagrilarus
Yep, I agree on Maisel. The second season is good, and it's had some really stellar moments. But they're messing with the formula and I think they do that at risk.

One of the features of Season 1 was that Midge had a stand-up piece in each show. They were excellent, and the moment you looked forward to. Season 2 has skipped that in a couple of episodes which is pretty glaring because the eps that have it have had super-good stand-ups in them. I'd like to know who's writing the stand-up parts, because they're not your typical sit-com writing material. It's really excellent stuff and the actress delivers.

I'm about halfway through Season 2. We're looking to stretch it out a bit so we aren't binge watching.

At the moment we're struggling to find other good comedic shows. We've cut the wire in the new house so we're on Hulu and Prime and Netflix mostly. That's our cable package at the moment, about $20 for two of them and the third we get essentially at no additional charge.

Still the best show on television, at least that we've found. A shame that Good Behavior got canceled, as that was our other go-to show last year.
Last edit: 02 Jan 2019 11:34 by Sagrilarus.

More
02 Jan 2019 11:41 #289078 by DarthJoJo
It’s not entirely a comedy, but Prime has a documentary series called Inside Joke(s?) about comedians trying to get into the Just For Laughs new faces showcase. I’ve only watched the first episode so far, but it’s intriguing and has plenty of stand-up. Might be worth a shot, Sag.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus

More
05 Jan 2019 13:01 #289279 by Black Barney
Finally watched my first episode of Black Mirror. Chose to go with the Shut Up and Dance episode. I had a 5 hour drive shortly after and thought about it for most of the drive. I think it messed me up! :)

Next one I will try when I feel brave enough is the black and white one with the killer robot dogs

Pretty cool show

More
05 Jan 2019 18:27 #289289 by Michael Barnes
You really should watch San Junipero before any others. It is not really a typical Black Mirror in some ways, but it is the best episode. White Christmas is also a must-see. USS Callister is on of the top episodes and I think you will dig the Trek references. Nosedive is fun and has Bryce Dallas Howard in it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.883 seconds