October 09, 2023
2520 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2721 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching?

More
21 Dec 2018 19:33 #288633 by Cranberries
I've been re-binging the first season of Justified. Ten episodes in, and I had forgotten how delightful it is, in a gritty sort of Kentucky-noir way. Also fun and unsettling knowing what fate awaits various characters.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, hotseatgames

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Dec 2018 20:17 #288639 by Gary Sax
Is it on a service, cranberries? I'd like to rewatch the guy from Deadwood pretend to be a gigantic strutting metaphor for a penis for a few seasons again...
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
21 Dec 2018 21:48 - 21 Dec 2018 21:50 #288643 by Cranberries

Gary Sax wrote: Is it on a service, cranberries? I'd like to rewatch the guy from Deadwood pretend to be a gigantic strutting metaphor for a penis for a few seasons again...

It really is kind of a frat boy series. It's on Amazon Prime . Definitely a vacation binge.
Last edit: 21 Dec 2018 21:50 by Cranberries.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
21 Dec 2018 22:59 #288648 by Gary Sax
bummer, we gave up prime this year! Wanted something light after our Bryce trip.

More
22 Dec 2018 05:30 #288653 by mtagge

CranBerries wrote: I want to know what Mtagge was doing in Moscow, and if Mtagge has seen The Americans.

Foreign Service. It means I am unplugged from popular Western culture, don't always have reliable Internet access, live in cultures where intellectual property theft is rampant (as legally acquiring things is difficult to impossible). In fact I am breaking the law right now by posting here.

I watched a little of The Americans. In reality hostile intelligence is ham fisted and bulk gathered. The Russians broke into our place constantly. It was a bit actiony for my tastes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Jackwraith

More
22 Dec 2018 09:02 #288654 by BillyBobThwarton
Walton Goggins is the reason I enjoyed Justified.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Gary Sax, hotseatgames

More
22 Dec 2018 13:09 #288665 by Shellhead

CranBerries wrote: I've been re-binging the first season of Justified. Ten episodes in, and I had forgotten how delightful it is, in a gritty sort of Kentucky-noir way. Also fun and unsettling knowing what fate awaits various characters.

I liked Justified, but by the end of the fourth season, I was tired of watching Timothy Olyphant's smirk. Also, it seemed like the show peaked with the excellent second season. So I still haven't gotten around to watching season five.

More
28 Dec 2018 15:18 - 28 Dec 2018 18:10 #288805 by Grudunza
Watership Down is my favorite book of all time, and I recall seeing some early Pixar movies and thinking, hey, they could do a terrific CGI version of Watership Down now! Wouldn't that be amazing?! Well, we finally got it, with a BBC series on Netflix, and it's... only okay.

I should say that for the most part, this version serves the story very well. The voice cast is great, and several moments and scenes are nicely depicted. And visually, there is some good scene direction and shot composition. But whew, the animation just isn't great for a lot of it. Pretty much any time anything moves. And you can look past that and still enjoy the great story and adventure, but it does bring it all down, unfortunately. With the movement animation being so poor, I'd have rather seen a less realistic style of graphics... that might have made that all work better. But they went for realism, and while some of the individual imagery was very nice, the movement really jolted you out of that. I rewatched A Bug's Life after this, which is a little rough by Pixar's current standards, and that was still much more smoothly animated than this. And that was released 20 years ago in 1998!

Another disappointment about this version is that they didn't do ANY of the El-Ahrairah stories that are in the book. Well, they did the intro story. And that is spectacularly done, with a more puppetry style of animation. And I expected to see at least one more of the fun El-Ahrairah stories depicted that way at some point. But they never did. They showed a few times where a rabbit started to tell one of those stories, but that was it. Yes, that could have been too much of a break from the narrative to do the side stories as often as they are told in the book, but still, those stories in the book are so engaging, and even just one of them shown in full at a midpoint in the series would have provided a really nice experience.

Well, maybe in another 10-20 years someone will make this again, and it will all be top notch. While the 1978 2D animated film was far less complete, and differed in more respects from the book, it remains the better animated version of Watership Down, overall.
Last edit: 28 Dec 2018 18:10 by Grudunza.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gregarius, WadeMonnig

More
28 Dec 2018 16:22 #288811 by Gregarius
Well, that's frustrating to hear. I was looking forward to watching it, but now I'm not sure if it's worth the effort.

More
28 Dec 2018 17:48 #288818 by the_jake_1973
Watched a couple good shows this past week:
Flowers: This is a 12 episode series from BBC. At turns comedic, uncomfortable, poignant, and touching. I recommend it. 
Derry Girls: I would never have thought that there would be a comedy about a groups of girls in high school that takes place in Northern Ireland during The Troubles and that I would find it entertaining. It is an ensemble in the same vein as The Inbetweeners. It is only the first season, but a decent show. 

More
28 Dec 2018 17:55 - 28 Dec 2018 18:06 #288820 by Grudunza

Gregarius wrote: Well, that's frustrating to hear. I was looking forward to watching it, but now I'm not sure if it's worth the effort.

Do you like the book? If so, it’s definitely worth watching. In some respects it’s quite good, and definitely captures what’s great and epic about the story. I enjoyed my time with it, for sure. Just disappointed that it wasn’t better animated, when we clearly have the capability now to do that very well.
Last edit: 28 Dec 2018 18:06 by Grudunza.

More
28 Dec 2018 18:00 #288821 by WadeMonnig

Grudunza wrote:

Gregarius wrote: Well, that's frustrating to hear. I was looking forward to watching it, but now I'm not sure if it's worth the effort.

Do you like the book? If so, it’s definitely worth watching. In some respects it’s quite good, and definitely captures what’s great and epic about the story. I enjoyed my time with it, for sure. Just a disappointed that it wasn’t better animated, when we clearly have the capability now to do that very well.

The BBC is clearly awful when it comes to animation. I just don't get it, between this and the Doctor Who recreations, it is literally just beyond forgivable. 

More
30 Dec 2018 12:20 #288882 by hotseatgames
I finished the Netflix anime series Hero Mask. It's about a shady corporation that creates a set of paper masks. The wearer is granted special powers, but there is a cost.

A branch of the police gets involved in trying to take down the corporation, and hijinx ensue. I enjoyed it. The most maddening aspect is that there are 15 episodes and all of them end on cliff-hangers, so you'll be frustrated when you have to turn the show off.

More
30 Dec 2018 15:51 #288890 by Sagrilarus
Can someone from Canuckistan please explain to me how Letterkenny managed to get produced? One of the most remarkable shows I have ever seen on TV. But damn, hold on tight when you watch and listen very carefully.

More
30 Dec 2018 16:25 #288891 by Black Barney
Can’t help you. I’m the only one up here that isn’t a fan

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.553 seconds