October 09, 2023
2550 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2746 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching?

More
29 Oct 2020 09:51 - 29 Oct 2020 09:52 #315691 by ChristopherMD
Halfway through the 3rd season of A French Village and its blowing me away with how good it is. They do good at fitting the story to the time period with different aspects of the occupation being explored. The characters are really well developed and even the collaborator I hate most did something good and selfless at one point. So its not completely black and white with collaborator vs resistance even if most non-German characters are filtering into one of those two sides. Where the 2nd season plot revolved around the Communist characters and their sort of proto-resistance, the 3rd season has focused more on the Jewish. Watching them round up the foreign Jews (with a quota to meet no less) to hand over to the Gestapo has been very emotional. This was certainly a watercooler show in France. I constantly want to comment on stuff in every episode but alas I'm watching it alone.
Last edit: 29 Oct 2020 09:52 by ChristopherMD.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus, Jackwraith

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Oct 2020 10:26 #315693 by Jackwraith

ChristopherMD wrote: I constantly want to comment on stuff in every episode but alas I'm watching it alone.

Trying to get to it! I've sold my girlfriend on the idea and we've kinda cleared the decks as far as other series go, so I should be able to give some feedback soon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
29 Oct 2020 19:06 - 29 Oct 2020 19:09 #315721 by Sagrilarus

Jackwraith wrote:

ChristopherMD wrote: I constantly want to comment on stuff in every episode but alas I'm watching it alone.

Trying to get to it! I've sold my girlfriend on the idea and we've kinda cleared the decks as far as other series go, so I should be able to give some feedback soon.

I have to purchase it . . . apparently Prime ain’t enough.
Last edit: 29 Oct 2020 19:09 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
29 Oct 2020 19:16 #315723 by hotseatgames
I just finished all 7 seasons of The Shield. I watched it when it originally aired, and had the first couple of seasons on DVD way back, but it had been a long time since I had seen it. I picked up the entire blu-ray set, which is a very nice set, by the way.

This show has highs and lows, but as a whole, it really holds up. Great performances, great writing. One minor annoyance is how they tend to throw someone into the background after their "arc" is complete, and it's almost like they were never there.

This is one of the best cop shows around (not as good as The Wire, but much more exciting), and I'm sure I'll watch it all again some day.
The following user(s) said Thank You: allismom3, ChristopherMD, Msample, Jackwraith

More
29 Oct 2020 19:42 - 29 Oct 2020 19:46 #315724 by ChristopherMD

Sagrilarus wrote:

Jackwraith wrote:

I splurged on the complete DVD set.

MHz are the rights owners in US and looks like they have a free trial subscription to try streaming it.
watch.mhzchoice.com/a-french-village

Edit: Do not watch the trailer. It's for season 7.
Last edit: 29 Oct 2020 19:46 by ChristopherMD.

More
29 Oct 2020 19:48 - 29 Oct 2020 20:08 #315725 by Ah_Pook
We've been watching series 10 of Taskmaster as it comes out, and it's really quite good so far. Katherine Parkinson catapulting a shoe on the episode today is one of the funniest things I've seen in a long time.
Last edit: 29 Oct 2020 20:08 by Ah_Pook.

More
29 Oct 2020 21:43 #315729 by Msample

hotseatgames wrote: I just finished all 7 seasons of The Shield. I watched it when it originally aired, and had the first couple of seasons on DVD way back, but it had been a long time since I had seen it. I picked up the entire blu-ray set, which is a very nice set, by the way.

This show has highs and lows, but as a whole, it really holds up. Great performances, great writing. One minor annoyance is how they tend to throw someone into the background after their "arc" is complete, and it's almost like they were never there.

This is one of the best cop shows around (not as good as The Wire, but much more exciting), and I'm sure I'll watch it all again some day.

Walton Goggins breakout role. If you like him here, check out JUSTIFIED. Not quite as violent as THE SHIELD, but better writing and some very good acting.

More
29 Oct 2020 23:12 #315733 by hotseatgames
I have seen all of Justified. Goggins is fantastic, and is THE star of the Shield, despite what it says on the box.

More
30 Oct 2020 04:45 - 30 Oct 2020 04:47 #315736 by Cranberries

hotseatgames wrote: I have seen all of Justified. Goggins is fantastic, and is THE star of the Shield, despite what it says on the box.

I watched The Shield after having seen Justified. The Shield was great, but so bleak. It gave me TV-PTSD. Justified is delightful, but not without its flaws. Some seasons feel a little rote, with a "big bad" that has to be taken out at the end. But it's a much warmer, funnier show. I just wish
Warning: Spoiler!
. There's a figure in Mormon history named Porter Rockwell, who was Brigham Young's body guard and later a deputy US marshall. It was rumored he would rather shoot a fugitive because it was easier to bring them back, and that he would often dump the bodies in a well somewhere in the western part of the valley (where we lived at the time). Depending on who you talk to, he was either relentless or a serial killer. My belabored point is that Raylan Givens kills an awful lot of bad guys, which I guess is kind of the theme of the show and it's 2:45 a.m. and I woke up after a nightmare about a $40k car repair and hope I can get back to sleep.
Last edit: 30 Oct 2020 04:47 by Cranberries.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
30 Oct 2020 10:20 #315750 by ThirstyMan

Sagrilarus wrote:

Jackwraith wrote:

That's weird, I have an Amazon Prime US account (with a VPN) and A French Village is definitely on there, as I'm watching it right now.

More
30 Oct 2020 10:41 #315752 by southernman

CranBerries wrote:

hotseatgames wrote: I have seen all of Justified. Goggins is fantastic, and is THE star of the Shield, despite what it says on the box.

I watched The Shield after having seen Justified. The Shield was great, but so bleak. It gave me TV-PTSD. Justified is delightful, but not without its flaws. Some seasons feel a little rote, with a "big bad" that has to be taken out at the end. But it's a much warmer, funnier show. I just wish
Warning: Spoiler!
. There's a figure in Mormon history named Porter Rockwell, who was Brigham Young's body guard and later a deputy US marshall. It was rumored he would rather shoot a fugitive because it was easier to bring them back, and that he would often dump the bodies in a well somewhere in the western part of the valley (where we lived at the time). Depending on who you talk to, he was either relentless or a serial killer. My belabored point is that Raylan Givens kills an awful lot of bad guys, which I guess is kind of the theme of the show and it's 2:45 a.m. and I woke up after a nightmare about a $40k car repair and hope I can get back to sleep.

Ha - Justified was my Hot show in the very first post in this thread, great to see it still getting hotness.

I'm still working my way through all the Marvel TV series (Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, The Punisher) after getting Netflix when lockdown started, crikey great TV but takes a while.
Also watching Better Call Saul with my 21 yr old lad as he like it and wanted to watch it again.

More
30 Oct 2020 11:02 #315756 by Msample
I'd agree on the SHIELD being a lot more bleak; the last season especially is pretty grim - much like SONS OF ANARCHY.

I'd disagree that Goggins is the true star. While he was certainly a principal character , it was always an ensemble show, and Michael Chiklis as Vic Mackey was the head of the cast. JUSTIFIED started as a vehicle for Olyphant - in fact Boyd Crowder wasn't suppoed to live after being shot. But the feedback for Goggins' perforamce was so strong they changed their minds and the show became more of a duet between the two,l, with seasonal guest appearances for variety's sake.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, allismom3

More
30 Oct 2020 11:03 #315757 by Jackwraith

ThirstyMan wrote: That's weird, I have an Amazon Prime US account (with a VPN) and A French Village is definitely on there, as I'm watching it right now.

Prime covers seasons 1, 3, and 4, but not 2 and 5-7. At least, that's what I saw when looking at it last night.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, ThirstyMan

More
30 Oct 2020 11:25 #315759 by Shellhead
I'm still enjoying Deadwood, but I gave up on my binge watch of Justified a few years ago when I reached the end of season four. The prospect of enduring one more season of Olyphant's smirk was intolerable. Of the seasons that I saw, my favorite was season two.

I normally like to watch more horror movies in October, but I just haven't been in the right mood this year. Last weekend, I spotted Buffy the Vampire Slayer season one on Amazon and thought that maybe I would just re-watch that short first season. Now I'm already partway into season two. The quality of the entire series is a bit variable, including a few amazing episodes and a few lame ones, but overall season one was better than I remembered.

It does grate a bit to see such a lame version of Angel, consistently erring on the side of being overly sensitive, deferential, and surprisingly weak. But that is crucial to the girl power concept of the show. Men can be heroes, too, but they are not allowed to overshadow Buffy for more than a fleeting moment here and there. When the show originally aired, that disparity in gender treatment bothered me and kept me from being a regular viewer. Now that I'm older and have more perspective, I can see that it was a necessary break from decades of strong male heroes with weak, clingy female companions.

Anyway, the dialogue is often good, the stories are okay, and the long-term character development rewards a dedicated viewer. Season three is my favorite and the only season that I own, but I am looking forward to seeing season seven again. I might skip the Riley epsodes altogether. I don't hate the Riley character, but he was a basic dudebro with a measure of toxic masculinity, offset by a pleasant affect and good manners.

More
30 Oct 2020 11:29 #315760 by southernman
Just watched a full series re-run on the SciFi channel over here. I enjoyed it when I watched it a long time ago and the storylines and Joss's improving scripts and plots over the seasons are a good watch.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.771 seconds