October 09, 2023
2518 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2716 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching?

More
16 Nov 2020 10:13 #316185 by Rliyen

hotseatgames wrote: Finished season 1 of Stranger on Netflix. I started season 2. It's a very enjoyable show, even if it is sort of Law and Order: Korea. The main characters are likable, which goes a long way. It's also one large story, not something that is wrapped up in an hour.

American drama writers should take a page from this series on how to write. S1 and 2 was so full of twists, I had a hard time keeping up with them. It kept you guessing and that's why I love the series. I'm hoping there's a S3.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Nov 2020 13:03 #316192 by hotseatgames
I'm 3 in on season 2... it's a slow start but I expect they will kick it up a notch soon. I hope.

More
16 Nov 2020 13:45 #316197 by Rliyen
Oh it will. Not all is as it seems.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
16 Nov 2020 21:54 #316212 by Gary Sax
My spouse has been watching Umbrella Academy. It's like... fine? It's like a series of mysteries and personal crises I'm only somewhat interested in seeing the answer to.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
16 Nov 2020 22:03 #316213 by jason10mm

Gary Sax wrote: My spouse has been watching Umbrella Academy. It's like... fine? It's like a series of mysteries and personal crises I'm only somewhat interested in seeing the answer to.

I didn't really care for it. My wife dug it. Season 2 is a step down in all respects IMHO. It has its moments but it is mostly just really fucked up people acting really fucked up.

More
18 Nov 2020 20:57 #316318 by ChristopherMD
The Queen's Gambit - I enjoyed this even though I hate chess. It deftly avoided a lot of tropes and Anya is a great actress. It was nice to see her excel through practice and study (and drugs) to the top of her field.

More
19 Nov 2020 09:58 #316326 by jason10mm
Are PEDs a thing in competitive chess? Adderall and the like to help focus or something?

Next time I play Agricola with someone I'm totally getting them tested first :p

More
19 Nov 2020 10:37 #316331 by dysjunct

jason10mm wrote: Are PEDs a thing in competitive chess? Adderall and the like to help focus or something?

Next time I play Agricola with someone I'm totally getting them tested first :p

They probably are, but in the QG show, the protagonist took barbiturates to calm her nerves.

More
19 Nov 2020 10:37 #316332 by Gary Sax
I want to say Adderall *is* used in stuff like that, but I don't remember.

More
19 Nov 2020 10:51 #316333 by Gregarius
I really enjoyed Queen's Gambit as well. I loved the sets and clothes from the time period, too.

I'm absolutely terrible at chess, but I've always loved it. There's just something so beguiling and captivating about it, and I think this show captured some of that. I also really liked that they showed that it isn't enough to be naturally talented, you have to work and study as well (two things I avoid, which keep me terrible at chess).
The following user(s) said Thank You: allismom3, ChristopherMD, Jackwraith

More
19 Nov 2020 11:55 #316341 by Jackwraith

Gregarius wrote: I also really liked that they showed that it isn't enough to be naturally talented, you have to work and study as well (two things I avoid, which keep me terrible at chess).

Exactly. This has been my thing with Go, as well. I'm fascinated by the concept of the simplicity of the game and have always had an urge to be better at it. But to be good at it, you have to play a lot and work at it. I guess it's one of those things that I'd like to improve at, but then I think of all the other games to play and hobbies I have and work I'm doing and... Yeah. I guess my fascination has limits.

More
22 Nov 2020 22:08 #316443 by Shellhead
Still doing a leisurely binge of Buffy the Vampire Slayer via Amazon Prime. I'm near the end of season three now, and it really is the best season. Several top ten episodes: Homecoming, The Wish, Helpless, and The Zeppo, No Riley or Dawn yet, and both Faith and the Mayor make for wonderful adversaries. Vampire Willow is really fun, and not to be confused with the Dark Willow of season six. Angel is finally allowed to become pretty cool instead of cringing in Buffy's shadow or going all out evil, and gets launched into his own spin-off show after this season. First appearances of Anya and Wesley, plus a final appearance for my show crush Jenny Calendar.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, mads b.

More
22 Nov 2020 22:55 #316444 by mc
Replied by mc on topic What TV SHOWS are you watching?
I think that episode where Giles and buffy's mother revert to their teenage selves is in that series isn't that, that one is great.

The mayor was a great character too.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
23 Nov 2020 10:52 #316453 by ubarose
WE are re-watching Buffy too. Just an episode a night as a family.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, WadeMonnig

More
23 Nov 2020 11:21 #316455 by Sagrilarus

ubarose wrote: WE are re-watching Buffy too. Just an episode a night as a family.

We're doing the same thing with Malcolm in the Middle, which is dependably hilarious and on occasion pretty doggone artistic. There's an episode where the boy in military school is playing pool against the commandant, both intentionally trying to lose each game. So instead of a montage of fantastic winning trick shots, it's a montage of fantastic trick shots to scratch on the eight. Really well done. Quite a play on the movie trope.

I was of the opinion that we only caught the show occasionally when it was on, but I have memories of virtually every episode we've watched. I think the show doesn't get the credit it deserves.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Shellhead, birdman37

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.567 seconds