October 09, 2023
2532 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2735 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

Southernman Where art Thou?

More
10 Feb 2012 15:14 #115876 by ubarose

Chapel wrote:
Do people having gaming friends that just don't follow the hobby online?

Yes. Many of the gamers I know F2F just get information on new games by word of mouth. If they are getting information on line, it's through facebook friends

Distorted information gets passed around as well. Like when someone pulls out a game and suggests we play there's always the guy who repeats something he heard from someone else who heard it from someone else who read something on BGG, such as "That game is broken" and "That game has been solved."

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Feb 2012 15:22 #115877 by MattFantastic

scissors wrote: For the second time in a month, Loter has caused a topic to be split and the controversial bit dumped in the bowels of the Fortress.

No fucking apologies this time!

I'm not apologizing for shit on this. I'll certianly apologize for being overly dickish to certain people when it happens but I'll NEVER apologize for thinking it's not cool to use mysoginistic and homophobic slurs, even if you yourself don't think they are. He's always been a big boy about arguing on here and if he wants to be a baby about it now "defaming his character" or whatever cause I shit on his little lovefest thread, fuck him. You call someone a faggot or a cunt and I won't back down from publicly saying you're a fucking asshole, especially when you've made it clear that you don't give a fuck what the power of words like that can be.

See you in the fucking dicks bullshit...

More
10 Feb 2012 15:24 #115878 by El Cuajinais

Chapel wrote:

El Cuajinais wrote: That was me. This is something I’ve always wondered. We all form bonds online, but generally it is not the case that internet forum members meet regularly in real life. (Conventions don’t count). This community seems to keep in touch in the real world but still, I think it is very possible that someone could die and we would think he simply took off to pursue other interests. This bothers me. Am I alone in this or is this something other F:ATies think about too.

I think it's interesting to know that there are people on here that no one really knows in real life on a regular basis. I'd assume that like minded gamers who play in the same gaming groups would frequent the same online forums. I mean, almost everyone in my gaming circles are either on here or BGG. I assume if I kicked the bucket, someone would be able to tell everyone.

I for example don’t have a gaming group to begin with. My largest span of being able to play games with a group consecutively is maybe 4 weeks tops. It’s always an on and off thing. Which is why I hate when people who have regular game groups here bash others for trying to “convert” their spouse to gaming. It REALLY sucks to love a hobby you can’t partake in. It’s similar to being passionate about a sports cars and yachts, only worse because you can actually afford board games.

So anyway yeah, I’m sure there are many people here who no one would know if they died (again, me). What’s more, it is quite possible that this has already happened. Some past F:ATie that stopped posting might have also stopped breathing.

More
10 Feb 2012 15:29 - 10 Feb 2012 15:31 #115879 by Chapel

ubarose wrote:

Chapel wrote:

Yes. Many of the gamers I know F2F just get information on new games by word of mouth. If they are getting information on line, it's through facebook friends

But you know some people who have an online presence. If you died today, there would be "someone" to tell everyone. Of course this doesn't account for those who just game with immediate family. But hobbyists? I'm just amazed that people have even found like minded hobbyists through traditional routes that don't include online venues in todays society. Facebook has the biggest footprint by far, but people who get into it long enough search out venues.
Last edit: 10 Feb 2012 15:31 by Chapel.

More
10 Feb 2012 15:30 - 10 Feb 2012 15:30 #115880 by Chapel
HATE THE EDIT.
Last edit: 10 Feb 2012 15:30 by Chapel.

More
10 Feb 2012 15:35 #115883 by SuperflyPete

Chapel wrote:

ubarose wrote:

Chapel wrote:

But you know some people who have an online presence. If you died today, there would be "someone" to tell everyone. Of course this doesn't account for those who just game with immediate family. But hobbyists? I'm just amazed that people have even found like minded hobbyists through traditional routes that don't include online venues in todays society. Facebook has the biggest footprint by far, but people who get into it long enough search out venues.

Virtually all of the people I game with are not getting info online; not BoardGameGeeks or F:ATties.

And were I to drop dead tomorrow, it would probably be a while before anyone here knew. Most of my family members are "Friends Only" posters rather than "Friends of Friends".
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fallen

More
10 Feb 2012 15:39 - 10 Feb 2012 15:39 #115885 by Chapel

El Cuajinais wrote:
I for example don’t have a gaming group to begin with. My largest span of being able to play games with a group consecutively is maybe 4 weeks tops. It’s always an on and off thing. Which is why I hate when people who have regular game groups here bash others for trying to “convert” their spouse to gaming. It REALLY sucks to love a hobby you can’t partake in. It’s similar to being passionate about a sports cars and yachts, only worse because you can actually afford board games.

I guess I find that interesting too. For me gaming and socializing go hand and hand. I think if I were just unable to find people to game with, I wouldn't be here, and find something else to do. The only reason I am here is to talk about games that I "play". I love gaming, but not becuase of the games, but because it's a shared experience.
Last edit: 10 Feb 2012 15:39 by Chapel.

More
10 Feb 2012 15:51 #115888 by MattFantastic
I play with a lot of people who don't ever look at BGG, most of them know it sort of exists but they never check it out and some of them have no idea about it at all. It's amazing how easy it is to fall into the echo chamber of thinking the whole hobby gives a shit about most of what's on the internet, cause they really don't.

I think Josh would let people know about my death from autoerotic asphyxiation, if for no other reason than to laugh at me.

More
10 Feb 2012 15:59 #115893 by san il defanso

MattLoter wrote: I play with a lot of people who don't ever look at BGG, most of them know it sort of exists but they never check it out and some of them have no idea about it at all. It's amazing how easy it is to fall into the echo chamber of thinking the whole hobby gives a shit about most of what's on the internet, cause they really don't.

I think Josh would let people know about my death from autoerotic asphyxiation, if for no other reason than to laugh at me.

I would hope that Josh would say that no matter how you died. It's the least he could do in your memory.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
10 Feb 2012 16:05 #115896 by Chapel

MattLoter wrote: I play with a lot of people who don't ever look at BGG, most of them know it sort of exists but they never check it out and some of them have no idea about it at all. It's amazing how easy it is to fall into the echo chamber of thinking the whole hobby gives a shit about most of what's on the internet, cause they really don't.

So how did you find your group? From your local store? Facebook? Just got some friends together? Are you considered the go to person to get the games, explain the rules, introduce new stuff?

More
10 Feb 2012 16:08 #115900 by repoman

El Cuajinais wrote: Do people having gaming friends that just don't follow
I for example don’t have a gaming group to begin with.

Hey man, we tried to get you into our little gaming circle but you just insisted that you had to fly home. You could still be living on Uba's couch playing all the latest and greatest games on a daily basis..but No! Blah blah blah..work...blah blah blah...family.

Anyway, If I were to die, you would all know because the resulting cataclysm created by my failed earthquake machine experiments would take the entire eastern seaboard with me and create new beach resorts in Pennsylvania and Tennessee.

More
10 Feb 2012 16:42 - 10 Feb 2012 16:46 #115907 by El Cuajinais

repoman wrote:

El Cuajinais wrote: Do people having gaming friends that just don't follow
I for example don’t have a gaming group to begin with.

Hey man, we tried to get you into our little gaming circle but you just insisted that you had to fly home. You could still be living on Uba's couch playing all the latest and greatest games on a daily basis..but No! Blah blah blah..work...blah blah blah...family.

Haha. Oh man you don’t know the half of it. I was like a I kid in a candy store in Uba’s guestroom. So many games I’ve always wanted to try. Based on the discussions here, I had always pegged most F:ATies as closet Euro gamers but that collection completely changed my mind.

ubarose wrote: Distorted information gets passed around as well. Like when someone pulls out a game and suggests we play there's always the guy who repeats something he heard from someone else who heard it from someone else who read something on BGG, such as "That game is broken" and "That game has been solved."

Flashback:
***repoman going over the combat rules for Eclipse***
Ok so depending on the weapon, you roll the number of dice shown…”
***El Cuajinais interrupts***
“Oh I read that torpedoes were broken in this game.”
Last edit: 10 Feb 2012 16:46 by El Cuajinais.

More
10 Feb 2012 16:48 #115910 by MattFantastic

Chapel wrote:

So how did you find your group? From your local store? Facebook? Just got some friends together? Are you considered the go to person to get the games, explain the rules, introduce new stuff?

I have a lot of groups these days and from all sorts of methods. We had a meetup group that was great for a while and those of us who were like-minded mostly just stole each other from that and started having regular nights on our own.

I'm also a pretty out in the open nerd so most people in my life know what I'm about so fellow nerds seek me out. I've got a lot of regular gaming friends I've met at the gym and just hit it off with. I live in a really college/adult nerd heavy city, so there are a lot of us running around.

I also have a few friends I've been gaming with since we were kids fumbling through D&D or spending countless hours blowing each other up in Risk and A&A.

Now I have to say that I play a fair bit with people I got to know through F:AT which is totally super awesome and easily makes this site one of the best things on the internet for me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: san il defanso

More
10 Feb 2012 18:49 #115937 by southernman

MattLoter wrote:

scissors wrote: For the second time in a month, Loter has caused a topic to be split and the controversial bit dumped in the bowels of the Fortress.

I'm not apologizing for shit on this. I'll certianly apologize for being overly dickish to certain people when it happens but I'll NEVER apologize for thinking it's not cool to use mysoginistic and homophobic slurs, even if you yourself don't think they are. He's always been a big boy about arguing on here and if he wants to be a baby about it now "defaming his character" or whatever cause I shit on his little lovefest thread, fuck him. You call someone a faggot or a cunt and I won't back down from publicly saying you're a fucking asshole, especially when you've made it clear that you don't give a fuck what the power of words like that can be.

Loter foaming at the mouth again .... /yawn/ .... I thought rabid dogs usually get put down, suppose he needs to bite someone first. Can't believe people let him teach their kids.

Now I've had a reminder of the site - not just Loter - I'll get back to my life.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Notahandle

More
10 Feb 2012 19:07 - 10 Feb 2012 19:28 #115938 by OldHippy

Southernman wrote:

MattLoter wrote:

Loter foaming at the mouth again .... /yawn/ .... I thought rabid dogs usually get put down, suppose he needs to bite someone first. Can't believe people let him teach their kids.

Now I've had a reminder of the site - not just Loter - I'll get back to my life.

What's funny is he uses "dickish" in the same paragraph where he tells us people who use cunt are all misogynists.

Edit: Loter if you respond remember, gay men have dicks as do several minority groups and the odd transgendered person.
Last edit: 10 Feb 2012 19:28 by OldHippy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: billyz

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.168 seconds