October 09, 2023
2525 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2727 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

Avatars: Are they who they seem to be?

More
10 Feb 2012 19:46 #115952 by Schweig!
Ha, I also thought it was a picture of him from a LARP or something.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JoelCFC25, Black Barney

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Feb 2012 19:46 #115953 by san il defanso

Black Barney wrote: defanso, you have the most phoned-in selection of avatar image ever

For a while, it was a bear riding a horse. It was pretty awesome, and I still have it as my BGG avatar. But this one was a picture that was taken impromptu, and I've always liked it.

Also, shut up.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
10 Feb 2012 20:13 #115957 by OldHippy
Defanso's avatar is sweet.

Barney, yours is fucking creepy.

When I first heard the word avatar as applied to the internet I thought it was crazy. I think it's a Hindu word meaning a God has become a human vessel here on earth. So when I heard it I thought it was strange that's what geeks would choose to call their internet persona's.

Scissors avatar makes me feel uncomfortable. Anytime someone chooses a good looking female star I get uncomfortable. Summer Glau? I always thought it was the chick from BSG, the asian one. I sat beside her on a plane for five hours once and I kept looking at her because she was hot (although I tried not to) but she thought it was because of the show, which I always hated and would not have recognized her from. My buddies kept bugging me for info on her after the flight because they all recognized her. I wouldn't have.

I don't pay much mind to avatar's. They're just a colour scheme to me and I barely can tell who has what, I do get a sense of personality from multiple posts and the avatar helps me recognize it but has little effect on what I think about the person. It used to but that's faded over time.

How come no one's talking about mine! Assholes. Conan chopping my own head off! That is cool godammnit!

More
10 Feb 2012 20:19 #115959 by dave
My avatar isn't what it seems to be, let alone me.

More
10 Feb 2012 20:23 #115960 by scissors
Yeah, I'm gonna dump it -- but I need that fat general!

More
10 Feb 2012 20:32 #115962 by Ancient_of_MuMu
Lately I have been tempted to go back to Bill Drummond chomping a cigar and firing a tommy gun at the Brit awards, just because it is the most kick ass thing in music, showing a man full of integrity who won't back down (or just a fuckwit going for shock value, if your opinion rolls that way). However it came to feel quite stupid when I was arguing for gun control in a few posts.

Since then I have had my back tattoo and the fnord graffiti on anarchy bridge, but none feel as right to me as Bill Drummond.

Apart from that things do seem as they probably are:
Barnes a try hard provocateur
Ryan injecting a touch of class
Ken rockin that guitar hero axe
Skeletor conjures an image of a man child in his parents basement with a large collection of toy figures
Barney is well Richard Simmons
Avery is a man in a tank top rolling around in miniatures
Loter is a geek who thinks he is a tough guy
San is the caring dad
Sag is the wise old man imparting wisdom to us
For some reason Mabuse gives me the image of the ex-nerd pretending to be a drug addict selling magazine subscriptions in "Office Space"

Plus as much as people may change avatars, sometimes the original sticks in your mind, so JonJacob is the guy in the wig playing the mandolin. A bit of a goofball guy who is fun to have around.

More
10 Feb 2012 20:35 #115964 by Black Barney
JJ, did you sit beside the BSG girl or Summer Glau? There's a massive difference.

JonJacob wrote: Defanso's avatar is sweet.

Ok, because JJ posted this I actually looked at Defanso's avatar in more detail. Now in my defence, I'm running IE6 and everything on F:AT is like a dog's breakfast so it's kind of messed up. Also, I have a bad attention span. So previously, my quick glares at Defanso's avatar led me to believe it was a badly lit picture of him playing some game and he has some sort of weird tattoo on his arm.

Now that I've looked in detail, I can see it's a sleeping baby and he's trying to play a Catan rip-off game. It's a BEAUTIFUL picture.

So i retract my earlier statement and think this is superior to a bear riding a horse.

/shutting up

More
10 Feb 2012 20:37 #115965 by san il defanso

Black Barney wrote: JJ, did you sit beside the BSG girl or Summer Glau? There's a massive difference.

JonJacob wrote: Defanso's avatar is sweet.

Ok, because JJ posted this I actually looked at Defanso's avatar in more detail. Now in my defence, I'm running IE6 and everything on F:AT is like a dog's breakfast so it's kind of messed up. Also, I have a bad attention span. So previously, my quick glares at Defanso's avatar led me to believe it was a badly lit picture of him playing some game and he has some sort of weird tattoo on his arm.

Now that I've looked in detail, I can see it's a sleeping baby and he's trying to play a Catan rip-off game. It's a BEAUTIFUL picture.

So i retract my earlier statement and think this is superior to a bear riding a horse.

/shutting up

That would be Nexus Ops. Man you can't even compliment my avatar properly.

Also, Grace Park > Summer Glau. Just so everyone knows.

More
10 Feb 2012 20:38 #115966 by SuperflyPete
I'm always reminded of Fallout 3 when I see JonJacob's avatar. It reminds me of issue #43 of Grognak the Barbarian.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fallen

More
10 Feb 2012 20:40 #115967 by OldHippy

Black Barney wrote: JJ, did you sit beside the BSG girl or Summer Glau? There's a massive difference.

Chick from BSG. I love Firefly so I would have recognized Summer.

More
10 Feb 2012 20:42 #115969 by san il defanso
I love JonJacob's avatar. I think that if someone did some variety of cartoon involving me dying, that would be awesome.

My sophomore year in college, a friend of mine made a series of stick figure drawings of me getting killed in cartoonish ways. It was pretty cool. He covered my door in "Ways For Nate To Die."

More
10 Feb 2012 20:44 #115970 by Schweig!

JonJacob wrote: How come no one's talking about mine! Assholes. Conan chopping my own head off! That is cool godammnit!

Too violent!

More
10 Feb 2012 20:46 #115971 by jeb

More
10 Feb 2012 20:50 #115974 by Bullwinkle
To me, you people are your avatars. I can't stand it when you all change them. It's like I'm suddenly talking to a goddamn stranger.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, jur, Ska_baron, The King in Yellow, Ryan B., san il defanso, Dair, Fallen

More
10 Feb 2012 20:52 #115979 by scissors
Thanks, but that isn't the one. There's a pic on one the player boards...

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.190 seconds