October 09, 2023
2518 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2719 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Notes on Board Games

More
20 May 2019 12:03 #297352 by ThirstyMan
Replied by ThirstyMan on topic Notes on Board Games
..and I like people more than computers

Yeah, we are polar opposites there.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 May 2019 12:23 #297358 by GorillaGrody
Replied by GorillaGrody on topic Notes on Board Games
1) Acknowledged that you have thoughts about Jonathan having had thoughts about thoughts. I take it in good faith that you do not believe that this is where epistemology ends generally, but that in this case, you'd simply like to end this discussion with a win in your favor, and thus would like it all to end now. Got it.

2) However, if above is to be taken seriously, what you'd really like is a big game manual to cover all the other game manuals so that we can stop all of this jibber jabbering about anyone's intent, and thus the science of real pragmatic thinking was born, right here in this forum, and no one ever had to waste their time again.

3) Jonathan did not rip open the "Board games and Masculinity" wound. I sensed that he was deliberately and carefully steering clear of it. He mentioned violence as an assumed principle in board games, which is one of many threads we could have pulled on and discussed. Instead, someone felt threatened and pulled the super-insecure "yeah but men's rights tho" thing, apropos of exactly nothing in the above article, except that someone didn't know where they stood in the more-complex-than-average writing and then clutched their balls and started crying.

4) You know you can do all the ball-clutching at the other site you want, no problem, right? It's pretty much just that, at this point. If you left the other site ten years ago because it was a bunch of Eurofied fun killers, I'm here to tell you it's safe to go back. It's just pretty much men being insecure about their mounds of plastic and their masculinity there. It's the reason why there's a new batch of writers and players at TWBG now. We got tired of swimming upstream through that shit.

5) To be clear, in anticipation of your argument, no one needs to be protected from swimming upstream through shit. It's simply necessary to avoid those places and to be minimally cleanly.

6) I left an email to this effect to some the writers and editors who have participated in this forum, but I haven't received an answer, so I'll put it here. Dumping on an author's article when you're part of the infrastructure of the site's editorial team is not cool. If you don't like an article you're editing, before you publish an article is the time to bring it up, not after. It's certainly not cool to dump a bucket of chum into the water in the forum and let the sharks do the editing for you.
The following user(s) said Thank You: boothwah

More
20 May 2019 12:33 #297364 by Vysetron
Replied by Vysetron on topic Notes on Board Games
Who was this directed at? I'm pretty sure the last point was for Jackwraith, but I'm completely unclear on the rest. Trying to follow what you're saying.

I don't think this place needs to be particularly harshly vetted or professional. I like it being a public forum where people shout at each other with varying degrees of articulation.

More
20 May 2019 12:59 #297368 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Notes on Board Games
I can't tell if Thirstyman's post is a troll I don't understand or just weirdly off topic. So for now it's staying. The discussion has been about the content so far and not overly hostile so I haven't had to moderate anything, please continue to keep it focused on content discussion and try to tamp down personal hostilities.

Jonathan, just as an aside, definitely do not confuse the people who post in the comments or the discussion board for the readership of the front page, or even representative of the readership of the front page.

More
20 May 2019 13:47 #297371 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Notes on Board Games

Vysetron wrote: but there is so much great material out there on the topics that you brushed past here. Dig into these topics. I want to see what you actually think, not just that you think about them.

Well, I think the point of the essay is not for the author to "dig in," but for the reader to "dig in." It's pushing the reader to think about what they actually think.

Also, interestingly, this essay has a comments area which allows the reader to engage with author. So the reader could, if they want to, ask the author what he actually thinks regarding a specific topic referenced in the essay. The reader and the author could even possibly have a discussion about that topic.

More
20 May 2019 14:02 #297373 by Vysetron
Replied by Vysetron on topic Notes on Board Games
Very cool to see moderators pat the author on the back while simultaneously going after anyone who didn't like the piece.

I've written for a lot of websites, but this is the first time I've ever seen anyone say that the reader needs to create the actual content and bring it to the writer for their approval. Comment sections are supposed to be about the article above, not writing their next piece for them. Attempts at continuing the conversation have been ignored in favor of defending the piece against criticism and using minority groups (that the writer isn't a part of, I'll add) as a shield. The fact that something as simple as "I don't like thing" generated this response is absurd.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Virabhadra

More
20 May 2019 14:12 - 20 May 2019 19:20 #297374 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Notes on Board Games
oops mis-edit lol

-Frohike
Last edit: 20 May 2019 19:20 by Frohike.

More
22 May 2019 14:01 #297482 by Virabhadra
Replied by Virabhadra on topic Notes on Board Games
It is deeply ironic to watch the TWBG "staff" demand a respect for "authority" that got Michael Barnes kicked off of BoardGameGeek in the first place.

boardgamegeek.com/thread/156320/banning-michael-barnes

More
22 May 2019 14:14 #297483 by Virabhadra
I specifically asked you to explain how "Chess is the YASSSS Queen of the ancient world."

More
22 May 2019 16:01 #297488 by ubarose
What I would really like to discuss is the connection between Camp and Board Games (or Geek culture in general).

Like for example, Is Frank Frazetta Egyptian Queen Painting (which just sold for over 5 million dollars) Camp?

And as the person who enters in Kickstarter description where is the line between campy and cheesy?

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: dysjunct, JonathanVolk

More
22 May 2019 16:45 #297492 by Virabhadra
Great non-response.

More
22 May 2019 17:36 #297507 by ubarose
Well I assumed your question regarding why "Chess is the YASSSS Queen of the ancient world" was directed at the author, however, I can give you my interpretation, bearing in mind that explaining a joke inevitably makes it less funny. Also, I am not an English or Literature teacher so my skills at walking someone through the meaning and themes of a written work are not the best.

Yasss Queen! is a way of saying that something is fabulous, fierce or strong. Chess is the YASSSS Queen of the ancient world is a delightful play on words. Like saying Chess ROCKS! Which considering that Chess really is an excellent game, and there weren't all that many games in the ancient world, Chess did in fact ROCK! However it is also a reference to the fact that the Queen is the strongest Chess piece. So if you made a good move with your Queen, you might yell out "Yasss Queen!" So Chess is fabulous and the Queen is fabulous.

And it also has connotations around Ball culture, LBGT culture, popular culture, the way popular culture adopts things from LBGT culture and makes it mainstream. Which also makes one think about how things in Geek/Board Game culture also get adopted by mainstream culture. So there are a lot of different ideas and concepts packed into that one sentence for the reader to reflect on while also being rather witty and possibly making the reader laugh,
The following user(s) said Thank You: JonathanVolk

More
22 May 2019 19:13 - 22 May 2019 20:02 #297513 by ubarose
I ran out of time and had to leave. But let me pick up where I left off.

So Yaasss Queen has its roots in Ball Culture, which is a culture of artificial, exaggerated hyper-femininity.

Board game illustration also portrays artificial, exaggerated femininity. Which brings to mind the work of Frank Frazetta, which has had an enormous impact on board game illustration. Furthermore, the author mentions Conan, and it is almost impossible to mention Conan without bringing to mind Frank Frazetta's painting of Conan, which portrays artificial, exaggerated hyper-masculinity.

Furthermore, board games are perceived as celebrating the hyper-masculine, in both subject matter (which the author touches on) and in its competitiveness. So when we play board games we are embodying and acting out artificial, exaggerated hyper-masculinity. We are therefore metaphorical Drags Kings.

If I take this to its logical conclusion, that would make KotakuInAction (KiA) the internet home not of angry nerds, but rather the Drag Kings of Gaming. This thought amuses me.

Anyway. Is Frank Frazetta's work Camp?
Last edit: 22 May 2019 20:02 by ubarose.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus, san il defanso, GorillaGrody, BaronDonut, JonathanVolk

More
22 May 2019 19:38 #297514 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Notes on Board Games
LOL imagine posting that on Reddit.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, san il defanso

More
22 May 2019 20:12 #297515 by san il defanso
Replied by san il defanso on topic Notes on Board Games
Uba, thanks for writing that. I didn't really "get" this article, but walking us through it got me a little closer.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.315 seconds