Front Page

Content

Authors

Game Index

Forums

Site Tools

Submissions

About

O
oliverkinne
March 05, 2021
265 0

Kittin Review

Board Game Reviews
MB
Michael Barnes
March 04, 2021
335 0
T
thegiantbrain
March 04, 2021
299 0
B
boardgameinquisition
March 04, 2021
310 0
W
WadeMonnig
March 03, 2021
521 0

Fantasy Fluxx Board Game Review

Board Game Reviews
JL
Josh Look
March 02, 2021
498 0
O
oliverkinne
March 02, 2021
511 0
JF
Jenny Ford
March 02, 2021
513 0
MT
Matt Thrower
March 01, 2021
962 0

Play Matt: Wavelength Review

Board Game Reviews
JL
Jason Lutes
March 01, 2021
480 0
T
TabletopIsland
February 27, 2021
322 0
T
TomerHelzer
February 26, 2021
500 0
O
oliverkinne
February 26, 2021
777 0
MB
Michael Barnes
February 26, 2021
1023 0
U
ubarose
February 25, 2021
563 0
U
ubarose
February 25, 2021
583 0
×
Bugs Update: Recent Topics & Main Menu (11 Dec 2020)

Main Menu drop down bug has been fixed. You may need to clear your cache to pick up the new code.
Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place for boardgame traitors.

Cyberpunk 2077

More
24 Dec 2020 20:41 #317499 by hotseatgames
Replied by hotseatgames on topic Cyberpunk 2077
I finished Cyberpunk 2077. Twice, technically, since I wanted to see the results of two different choices. One choice ends the game pretty abruptly, and another has it continue for a while longer. There is a third ending I could have chosen, and may do that in a future playthrough. I can tell you that this is the kind of game that ends, you don't wind up back in the world to complete unfinished tasks at your leisure.

This game is the anti-Witcher; its main questline is fairly compelling, and its side quests are pointless and boring. As a result, I rarely interacted with side quests. I completed the game having a character at level 18. I would estimate that my game time is around 28 hours. Some perks don't unlock until you are level 30, and I really can't imagine playing enough of this game to become level 30.

The game is of course notorious for its bugs, and there are many. They are patching frequently but if you play it now there is zero chance that you won't encounter some.

Whatever they paid Keanu Reeves, it was worth it. His character is my favorite part of the game.

I hope they fix the obnoxious constant calls and texts from 50 people in the city you don't care about, and constant offeres to buy a car. You NEVER need to buy a car. Further more, you won't be able to afford it unless you grind cash by selling loot. I ended the game with $44000. Some cyberware mods cost $45000.

I decided to level up my crafting so I could make a legendary weapon. But I never found out how to acquire legendary crafting components ( I suspect you have to break down a legendary item, but am not sure). Further, the game straight up gives you legendary gear at certain points in the story, thus making my crafting points useless.

I hope they speed up the walking speed when you are forced to follow characters, which is far too often. It is sloooow.

I will absolutely play this game again, when it is a totally different game than what it is now. I will make alternate choices, and probably have a great time, as I generally did this time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, RobertB

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Dec 2020 16:14 - 25 Dec 2020 16:16 #317508 by RobertB
Replied by RobertB on topic Cyberpunk 2077

hotseatgames wrote: I finished Cyberpunk 2077. Twice, technically, since I wanted to see the results of two different choices. One choice ends the game pretty abruptly, and another has it continue for a while longer. There is a third ending I could have chosen, and may do that in a future playthrough. I can tell you that this is the kind of game that ends, you don't wind up back in the world to complete unfinished tasks at your leisure.

This game is the anti-Witcher; its main questline is fairly compelling, and its side quests are pointless and boring. As a result, I rarely interacted with side quests. I completed the game having a character at level 18. I would estimate that my game time is around 28 hours. Some perks don't unlock until you are level 30, and I really can't imagine playing enough of this game to become level 30.

The game is of course notorious for its bugs, and there are many. They are patching frequently but if you play it now there is zero chance that you won't encounter some.

Whatever they paid Keanu Reeves, it was worth it. His character is my favorite part of the game.

I hope they fix the obnoxious constant calls and texts from 50 people in the city you don't care about, and constant offeres to buy a car. You NEVER need to buy a car. Further more, you won't be able to afford it unless you grind cash by selling loot. I ended the game with $44000. Some cyberware mods cost $45000.

I decided to level up my crafting so I could make a legendary weapon. But I never found out how to acquire legendary crafting components ( I suspect you have to break down a legendary item, but am not sure). Further, the game straight up gives you legendary gear at certain points in the story, thus making my crafting points useless.

I hope they speed up the walking speed when you are forced to follow characters, which is far too often. It is sloooow.

I will absolutely play this game again, when it is a totally different game than what it is now. I will make alternate choices, and probably have a great time, as I generally did this time.

A few things I know, playing it the opposite way (level 30 and about 30% of the main quest finished).

You're right - a car isn't necessary, but it's handy for some really long trips across the map. It's just like Witcher 3, in that you don't get Fast Travel nodes until you see them. One side effect of doing a lot of side quests is that if you don't want to be too much of a bad guy and carjack someone's ride you can just drive off with whatever car or motorcycle the people you've shot have left behind.

Some side quests are mildly interesting. I've got a little bit of a crush on Panam Palmer, and she drags you through a bunch of side quests.

If I have this right, I don't think disenchanting (yeah, yeah, disassembling, whatever) weapons give you the skill to make it, but you may be right. I think the plans are just drops you get, and you're at the mercy of the RNG Gods. I do know that to get the mats to upgrade legendary weapons you own, you need to kill a lot of bad guys.

If you do the side quests and loot the access points, you'll have enough money to buy what you'll need.

Keanu Reeves has been good in this. Not a nice guy, for sure. At least what I've seen.
Last edit: 25 Dec 2020 16:16 by RobertB.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Dec 2020 21:47 #317514 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Cyberpunk 2077
Looks like I may not get to play Cyberpunk 2077 anytime soon. My computer met the minimum specs except for the graphics card, so I found a deal on a refurbished graphics card that does meet the minimums specs and also didn't break my budget. Sadly, due to the stupidly balkanized production of PCs, my new graphics card is too big to fit inside my computer, and likely needs more power than my computer can offer. And addressing those issues may leave me with a system that runs too hot for the fan.

I stupidly thought that if I met minimum specs all around that the gear would be compatible, but I overestimated PC manufacturers. I just wanted to play a game without breaking my fairly limited budget, but now I have a very aggravating potential money pit to face. Or I can just ask for a refund and accept that I am not affluent enough to play a $50 PC game that I have already purchased. It's sad. I used to be able to just buy a PC game and load it and play on a normal desktop, but those consumer-friendly days are long gone.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Dec 2020 13:54 #317519 by Ah_Pook
Replied by Ah_Pook on topic Cyberpunk 2077
Refund both the game and the graphics card. Pc gaming be like that sometimes. I used to not mind faffing around with it, but my tolerance level for PC gaming BS has been non-existent for years.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Pugnax555

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Dec 2020 14:34 #317520 by RobertB
Replied by RobertB on topic Cyberpunk 2077

Shellhead wrote: Looks like I may not get to play Cyberpunk 2077 anytime soon. My computer met the minimum specs except for the graphics card, so I found a deal on a refurbished graphics card that does meet the minimums specs and also didn't break my budget. Sadly, due to the stupidly balkanized production of PCs, my new graphics card is too big to fit inside my computer, and likely needs more power than my computer can offer. And addressing those issues may leave me with a system that runs too hot for the fan.

I stupidly thought that if I met minimum specs all around that the gear would be compatible, but I overestimated PC manufacturers. I just wanted to play a game without breaking my fairly limited budget, but now I have a very aggravating potential money pit to face. Or I can just ask for a refund and accept that I am not affluent enough to play a $50 PC game that I have already purchased. It's sad. I used to be able to just buy a PC game and load it and play on a normal desktop, but those consumer-friendly days are long gone.

I bought a PC that had a GTX 1650 in it, to replace my old PC that (I thought) went belly up. Its GTX 970 was a step below state-of-the-art when it came out in 2014, so the 1650 is way faster, right? Wrong. It turns out the GTX 1650 is a lot newer and a little slower. However, the 1650 was smaller, and I think it doesn't need an extra power connection.

I think you can get the small card you're looking for, but I'd be surprised if you could find one powerful enough to run the game, new or used, for less than $100. That 1650 retails for around $200.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Dec 2020 14:41 #317521 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Cyberpunk 2077
Computer parts are just completely out of stock due to covid and still, to a lesser extent, due to the plague on this earth that is crypto mining. It's a tough time to be upgrading or getting a new rig. My computers are terribly old, I'll probably buy a new console even though I have pretty PC-game ass PC game tastes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, hotseatgames

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Dec 2020 20:53 #317528 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Cyberpunk 2077
My only prior experience with upgrading a PC was adding memory to a 2003 HP Pavilion, which by the way was a damn fine computer at the time. Mine kept running until 2017. I think that I could waste a lot of time and money trying to upgrade this cheap Dell that I picked up last year, but it is probably a lot cause.

So I went to Plan B, which was to crack open my other computer case and see what's what. This one is a 2015 HP and has a halfway decent Nvidia graphics card in it that falls only slightly short of minimum specs for CP 2077. It does have room for my refurbished graphics card that does meet minimum specs. However, the power cord connected to the current graphics card looks flimsy and incompatible with the refurbished one. Which makes me worry about other potential compatibility issues, like power or fans.

Now I'm on to plan C, which is to load CP 2077 on this computer anyway, and see if I can get by with a slightly below spec graphics card. Plan D is to get a refund on the game, and come back to it in a couple of years when I can afford to spend more on a computer. My girlfriend was already struggling with a load of student loan debt, and then she racked up some moderately serious medical bills in the last 18 months. I'm helping her a lot with her bills, so I can't justify buying a fancy gaming computer right now, or even a moderately fancy one. If I had the skills and the parts market wasn't so tight right now, I could theoretically build a computer that could run CP 2077 for maybe $600. Still too much under the current circumstances.

And I can live with that. I don't play computer games a lot, and I have several older games laying around that I could run on at least one of my computers.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Dec 2020 21:52 #317532 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Cyberpunk 2077
Plan C came through. My HP computer doesn't quite meet the minimum spec for the graphics card, but the game runs fine anyway. Doesn't quite look as amazing as the previews and reviews I have seen recently on Youtube, but I can live without the ray tracing. Whew, that is a big relief.

My next challenge is that the tutorial feels more like a long cut scene with a few sparse menu options, and seems to skimp on the teaching aspect of a tutorial. I keep seeing icons with an ! symbol, but hitting the ! key on my keyboard doesn't do anything, either with or without the shift key. So I just got stuck at a point in the tutorial where I am supposed to accept an item from an NPC and I can't because I can't work the ! icon.

Character generation was pretty easy, and apparently they took away the notorious penis slider, probably as a way to avoid those hilarious glitches with the junk hanging out.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Dec 2020 11:27 #317540 by RobertB
Replied by RobertB on topic Cyberpunk 2077

Shellhead wrote: My next challenge is that the tutorial feels more like a long cut scene with a few sparse menu options, and seems to skimp on the teaching aspect of a tutorial. I keep seeing icons with an ! symbol, but hitting the ! key on my keyboard doesn't do anything, either with or without the shift key. So I just got stuck at a point in the tutorial where I am supposed to accept an item from an NPC and I can't because I can't work the ! icon.

You've probably figured this out already, but someone else might get stuck early. The tutorial kind of sucks. Bring up the map (M) and right click on a point of interest that you want to see. Then when you exit the map you follow the yellow breadcrumb trail until you get there.

The light blue icons are bad guys hanging out waiting to be shot, or stuff to investigate that will lead you to bad guys to be shot. Select those on the map and you will get a blue trail to follow. Vendors are white. Fast Travel is dark blue. You won't get a Fast Travel icon on the map until you get close to it.

More beginner shit the game doesn't bother to tell you:

You already know how to make ammo using Crafting, so you should probably make some. Disenchant white weapons and sell blues and greens. You'll need the cash to buy better hacking stuff from stores at the start.

The game feels a little bit like Witcher 3 in that you're flat broke for a while, then you go past the knee in the curve and you're soon swimming in cash. So don't turn on the feature to autodisenchant junk for a little bit.

Eat the food and drink the drinks. Or not. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Dec 2020 12:27 #317541 by hotseatgames
Replied by hotseatgames on topic Cyberpunk 2077
I disassembled everything since I deemed selling stuff to generally be too much bother. As a result I was broke all the time.

I never crafted a single bullet; I found ammo all over the place and always had a ton of it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, RobertB

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Dec 2020 03:09 #317555 by RobertB
Replied by RobertB on topic Cyberpunk 2077

hotseatgames wrote: I disassembled everything since I deemed selling stuff to generally be too much bother. As a result I was broke all the time.

I never crafted a single bullet; I found ammo all over the place and always had a ton of it.

I got stuck in a fight somewhere and ran out of rifle and pistol ammo, so as God is my witness, I will not go without ammo again!
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Dec 2020 13:05 - 29 Dec 2020 13:06 #317569 by RobertB
Replied by RobertB on topic Cyberpunk 2077
Finished the game with two of the three endings that I had available. I was level 34 when I finished, and had done a lot of side quests. Like Witcher 3, some endings are happier than others. Unlike Witcher 3, some endings are harder to fight through than others.

There seem to be a ton of ways to play it. Sniper, hacker, hand-to-hand with blades or beating up guys with your fists, CQB shooting, whatever.

I'm going back to replay it again now that I know how to play it. And after seeing the start of the game again, I think CDPR decided at some point that they had to get something out the door, and dropped a bunch of in-game scenes that they laid the groundwork for. You spend 15-20 minutes learning to use the Braindance editor, and use it twice. You can shoot from a car, and you do that twice. Cars are borderline useless, except to get to parts of town that you haven't visited yet.

There are bugs galore. I saw a girl walking four feet off the ground. I was lucky my car didn't fall on me at one point. Mobs and loot can get stuck on terrain. Sometimes a weapon will just stop shooting, and you'll have to restart.

I could be wrong about this, but there is a limit to how many saves you can do, and saves aren't segregated by specific game. So if you're playing two sessions at once, beware.

But with all that, I like the game. The main quests are good. Some of the side quests are good, and the side quest chains I've done (Panam, Johnny) are good. Like Witcher 3 I get to see a boob and hear a cuss word.

One thing not mentioned - you can go back and redo the sidequests after you complete the game. If you Continue after the credits, the game puts you right before the point of no return. At that point you can do the ending again, or go do more side quests.
Last edit: 29 Dec 2020 13:06 by RobertB.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Dec 2020 13:52 #317571 by hotseatgames
Replied by hotseatgames on topic Cyberpunk 2077
I found my way into missions involving brain dances at least 4 times. It was one of my favorite aspects of the game.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Jan 2021 12:20 - 26 Jan 2021 01:13 #318336 by RobertB
Replied by RobertB on topic Cyberpunk 2077
Now playing my second character through the game. I'm parked at the ending at level 42, and just cleaning up all the Silverhand missions. In theory, this will open up some more endings.

Some more shit I've found out (Warning: mild spoilers):

- There are infinite (or close enough) money glitches in the game. Search "Space Oddity infinite money" if you need it.

- If infinite money hacks offend you, put a point into Mechanic and buy every soft drink for $10 that you can. Use the materials you get from disassembling them to make as many of the most expensive gray or green item you can make. For example, a green Nekomata (sp) sniper rifle (and any green gun for that matter) takes 25 commons and 15 uncommons to make. That took $42 dollars worth of drinks to make, and sells for $860 at every vendor. And pop machines and vendors are everywhere.

- Your idiot author didn't find out how a Tech weapon works until last Saturday. Sure, it says how it works right on the weapon, but who reads that shit anyway?

- Johnny's car spoiler:
Warning: Spoiler!
Last edit: 26 Jan 2021 01:13 by RobertB. Reason: Fixed green item amounts.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Feb 2021 11:49 #319175 by RobertB
Replied by RobertB on topic Cyberpunk 2077
I finished my second character a couple of weeks ago, at level 46. The final boss at Hard mode died without putting up much of a fight. While he was bragging I was shooting him in the face, and he was down to 30% before he was done talking.

I think I did all of the endings, except for the suicide one. If you want to open up all of the ending options, do all of the Johnny Silverhand missions and all of the Panam missions.

For weapons, I just used Widow Maker, Overwatch, and Skippy for laughs. Everything else I sold. I didn't use shotguns or pistols (besides Skippy) much. It gets expensive levelling weapons up for twenty-some levels, but IMO they're worth it.

Levelling up hacking puts the game on easy mode. Legendary level Contagion, the suicide one whose name I forget, Overheat, and System Reset can get you through any number of mobs. However, it can get boring and it slows down missions. A coworker swears by leveling melee and running in there with the best baseball bat you can find.

I'll probably play it again, with the difficulty maxxed out. I don't think it was 'everything and the kitchen sink' as advertised, but I had fun.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.167 seconds