October 09, 2023
2520 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2722 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place for boardgame traitors.

That Irritating Guy

More
23 Mar 2009 16:37 #24205 by billyz
Replied by billyz on topic Re:That Irritating Guy
Yes!!! Only much faster and more consistant! I've flipped pens for an hour straight without dropping them.

One Prof at Concordia had amusingly accused me of trying to hypnotise him. he still gave me a C. The fucker.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Mar 2009 16:42 #24206 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Re:That Irritating Guy
I'm a big whiner. That's "whinger" to those of you who still worship the queen. I complain about getting ganged up on, I pout about cock-fingered trolls rolling 6's WITHOUT END STEVE WEEKS, but mostly I complain about playing games that aren't fun. I put it right out there too.

"Hey, you know what I don't like about this game? It's not fun."
"Well, says you. My group has been enjoying thi--"
"'Enjoying.' Is that what passes for 'fun' now? I've had fun. This is not it."
...awkward silence...

Good times. The game is question is In the Year of the Dragon. AVOID.

More
23 Mar 2009 16:42 #24207 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Re:That Irritating Guy
billyz wrote:

I fart-explosively.

But far worse is this habit I developped in high school: I can tflip a pen/pencil in my right hand over, and over, and over again without looking at it or even be aware that I'm doing it.

Huh. One of the guys in my high school gaming group had the same exact pencil-flipping quirk. It wasn't much of a problem in that group, because there was another guy who had extreme body odor, due to his habit of bathing just once per week. (Basic training forced him to learn basic hygiene a few years later.) Another guy was constantly drumming two pencils against the edge of the table, even though he was a trumpet player. And the pencil-flipping guy himself had more serious issues... he was a brittle control freak who didn't like people touching him or any of his stuff.

More
23 Mar 2009 16:43 #24208 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic Re:That Irritating Guy
billyz wrote:

Yes!!! Only much faster and more consistant! I've flipped pens for an hour straight without dropping them.

One Prof at Concordia had amusingly accused me of trying to hypnotise him. he still gave me a C. The fucker.

Hey, I went to Concordia too! Too funny.

We should get together sometime and your wife and I can take turns putting pens up your arse

More
23 Mar 2009 16:51 #24211 by Ken B.
Replied by Ken B. on topic Re:That Irritating Guy
Black Barney wrote:

billyz wrote:

We should get together sometime and your wife and I can take turns putting pens up your arse

Hey! You told me that was our "special game." HARLOT~!

More
23 Mar 2009 17:03 #24215 by Michael Barnes
Well, since everybody is being so honest...

It all starts at home. Before I leave, I perfume myself with a mixture of rotten onions, human sweat, and the distilled odor given off by failed sexual possibility. I go in the closet and choose the loudest, most obnoxious Hawaiian shirt I own, khaki shorts, braided belt, and an open-toed shoe for maximum comfort. Then I put on a cowboy hat since it makes me think of Indiana Jones who is awesome.

When I get to the game event, I like to go around with my pants halfway down my ass and tell everybody what the internet said about the games they're playing. Then I like go through your bag/pile/box of games and provide you with my opinion about everything you bought. If you dare retort, I will likely begin my response with "Heh, yeah, well..." and then regale you with what the internet had to say about it.

Once I have "mind if I join you"'d myself into a game I wasn't asked to play, I'll continue my armchair critique of the game as well as how you are playing it.

I'm also known to hide cards or extra meeples in my Joaquin Phoenix-like beard, which is usually littered with the detritus of a Subway sandwich or possibly chili.

I also really enjoy citing rules loudly, emphasizing MAY and MUST and indicating to you where you have violated the rules and/or made a poor decision.

More
23 Mar 2009 17:44 - 23 Mar 2009 18:24 #24221 by Schweig!
Replied by Schweig! on topic Re:That Irritating Guy
Real complaints I've been charged with:

- I can't pronounce euro game names without sounding spiteful, e.g. San Juan.

- I can't resist attacking my neighbors as soon as possible, thereby costing them the game, ruining their strategies or otherwise fouling their game experiences.

- I can't be trusted.

- My favorite victim (he cries so much) accuses me of always playing against him.

All this is true. I also sometimes talk too much Bavarian (my natural "tongue", but I live in Prussia).
Last edit: 23 Mar 2009 18:24 by Schweig!.

More
23 Mar 2009 18:07 #24227 by MrZir
Replied by MrZir on topic Re:That Irritating Guy
1 - Missing a rule and then remembering it later. My normal fare is Sleeping Queens, UNO, etc. so when I am explaining a game where you can't fit the rules onto one page I am bound to miss one.

2 - Mild AP. At the point where there are a few different choices, each of which could make or break the game, I have a tendancy to think far down the decision tree. Now I just give myself a reasonable time limit at the end of which I pick option that looks the coolest.

More
23 Mar 2009 18:36 #24235 by Hex Sinister
Replied by Hex Sinister on topic Re:That Irritating Guy
Despite being guilty of a few things like OCD and smoking I think the worst is breaking the TMI rule when teaching games. I used to think that my friends would get bored unless I added all the optional, advanced, and expansion rules at the first game session. There is some irony there. This is an incredibly stupid path to take. Smooth gaming sessions do not start like this and hope I've learned my lesson.

More
23 Mar 2009 18:54 - 23 Mar 2009 18:57 #24240 by moss_icon
Replied by moss_icon on topic Re:That Irritating Guy
i play games that i know will be shit, and then spend the whole game saying how shit they are. luckily the people i play with are good geezers, and they know what to expect, sometimes encourage it, and i try not to impose upon them too often.

also i like to get drunk.
Last edit: 23 Mar 2009 18:57 by moss_icon.

More
23 Mar 2009 19:31 #24244 by BradHB
Replied by BradHB on topic Re:That Irritating Guy
Wow, this thread has really taken off. Do I get F:AT Gold or something?

Not many people out there are sound effects people, like me. Does that mean that:

a) Sound effects guys are annoying, but a minority

or

b) Sound effects guys aren't annoying, and I actually have another annoying traight that I'm just plain not aware of?

More
23 Mar 2009 20:11 #24252 by Hatchling
Replied by Hatchling on topic Re:That Irritating Guy
I am dumb about game rules. I will listen attentively to the exact same first-time rulesplanation as other newbies are hearing at the table, but I will be the only one who remains confused. And since I don't want to hold everyone up, I usually try to muddle my way through a game in confusion. This makes me take longer when it is my turn. It also means that I am working extra hard to figure out moves that are plain as day obvious to everyone else at the table. So I become a bit of an AP player, but people don't realize that I am not thinking up the decision tree, only trying to figure out where the trees are in the woods. I also take it personally when people complain about all this annoying behaviour. One of the reasons why I like conflict driven and thematic games is that I find them *much* easier to learn.

My weak game brain also turns me into an inadvertant cheater. One annoying example among many: when playing Titan I will mix up my stacks and recruit higher level creatures with the wrong stack.

I don't know how you people can figure games out so easily and quickly.

More
23 Mar 2009 20:17 #24254 by Rliyen
Replied by Rliyen on topic Re:That Irritating Guy
Ken B. wrote:

Aw geez, add "lying about playing times" and "missing one or two rules every game" to my Annoying Gamer Resume.

Thirded.

Did the latter offense today with a game of GROS with a co-worker during lunch.

More
23 Mar 2009 21:46 #24264 by billyz
Replied by billyz on topic Re:That Irritating Guy
Black Barney wrote:

billyz wrote:

Hey,hey,hey! Not for free you won't you cheap bastard! No money/No candy.

[...] I go in the closet and choose the loudest, most obnoxious Hawaiian shirt I own, khaki shorts, braided belt, and an open-toed shoe for maximum comfort. Then I put on a cowboy hat since it makes me think of Indiana Jones who is awesome.[...]

Stop mocking me you prick! I was bliisfully oblivious to the fact that I was way overwight and couldn't dress until you came along... I HATE YOU MICHEAL BARNES!!!

More
23 Mar 2009 22:21 #24269 by Michael Barnes
Hatch, you sound just like F:AT's lost correspondent Robert Martin...we'll do a rules explanation and he'll listen. His turn comes up..."What do I do now?"

I forgot, that's one of the other things that makes me irritating. If somebody asks me what they're supposed to do on their turn, I DDT them through the table, board game and all.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.211 seconds