October 09, 2023
2525 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2727 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Batman Kickstarter (w/discussion of FOMO sales method)

More
06 Mar 2018 17:17 #264729 by Colorcrayons
Replied by Colorcrayons on topic Batman Kickstarter
I still maintain that if one were to buy into this, it wouldn't be a horrible game, in comparison to most dreck shoveled out on KS.

But comparing stuff to crap isn't the highest praise.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Mar 2018 17:46 #264735 by drewcula
Replied by drewcula on topic Batman Kickstarter
I find the vitriol bizarre really. If I'm going to enjoy painting my little Batman toys and pushing them around on a pretty looking Batman tiles, why do you Jokers have to piss in my Batman porridge? I'm fine with shelling out a Wayne's ransom for this because I enjoy the IP, I enjoy the scale, and I've enjoyed the publisher's previous games. I have no illusions of this game becoming some sort of revered classic with unique mechanics matched no where else, yet developed by a team of designers that grew out of the farm league. I'm pretty confidant I know exactly what I'm gonna receive, and I think that's great.

I don't know if the other thousands of people backing this project come from the same bat cave as me, so I won't suggest if they have similar motivations. But for this bat fan, I'm pretty jazzed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jarvis, Gary Sax

More
06 Mar 2018 18:07 - 06 Mar 2018 18:07 #264739 by drewcula
I thought their argument about selectively sanitizing some of the racism but leaving tits & ass in the game was pretty accurate. SUSD do have a tendency of tumbling down rabbit holes of arguments that they haven't fully backed up with research or experience but that particular tidbit did ring true.

I hear ya Frohike, but I still found their argument carried little weight. Monolith had a Howard scholar (I can't imagine what those credentials entail) approved from his estate consult the game's development. I found most visual interpretations were pretty accurate with a few creative twists here and there. In many instances, Howard wrote few to no descriptors. Consequently, Adrian Smith & Co., had some license. I think my big ol' collection of Monolith Conan sculpts and illustrations are close to the source material.
Last edit: 06 Mar 2018 18:07 by drewcula.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
06 Mar 2018 18:08 #264740 by ChristopherMD
Replied by ChristopherMD on topic Batman Kickstarter
drewcula, I think the method of selling the game and add-ons is what's under fire here. Not the gameplay or you for buying it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, lj1983, Frohike, Colorcrayons, drewcula

More
06 Mar 2018 18:27 #264746 by drewcula
Ah. Perhaps I conflate the issue.

I did not like aspects of Conan's Kickstarter. Many others agreed, and were vocal, and Monolith seemingly took better steps when partnering with Mythic Games and the KS for Mythic Battles. I've seen improvement with this particular KS, so I feel pretty chill for now.

Not that I'm rich. I do have a gaming budget. I'd rather not spend $320 for a game system. But I'm confident I'll have fun painting and pushing this stuff.

Add-ons? I've been thinking about Michael's earlier remark about "curating." Christ. It read as pretentious to me, and I'm a studio arts professor that has to conduct critiques. I refuse to believe publishers don't have their expansions in mind and mold tandem with a core game. FFG/Asmodee doesn't have their Legion expansions tooled up in China yet? Please.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jarvis

More
06 Mar 2018 18:31 #264747 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Batman Kickstarter
EXACTLY. Listen, I am a HUGE Batman fan and I would be ALL OVER this myself if it were not sold as an exclusive and marketed in such a way to maximize the FOMO. By all means, Drew...in the words of Humpty Hump, doowatchalike. Enjoy it man! But yes, I am absolutely full of venom and hatred for how this game is being sold. I think it sucks for consumers, it sucks for Batman fans, it sucks for the industry...the only entity coming out on top here- even if the game is good, which it likely is, is Monolith. They are producing a huge, no-risk product line here, bankrolled with your good faith loan. But what works for you, man.

More
06 Mar 2018 18:41 #264750 by drewcula
I think I get where you're coming from MB, but to push back for a second (and tell me if I'm missing the point): why shouldn't this Batman game just be considered a "boutique" Batman offering?

A "Cadillac" game?

There are plenty fo Cthulhu games out there. I paid a hell of a lot of money for one in particular that was big, and quick-to-play, and designed by a team I admire. But not every Cthulhu fan wants to drive a BMW to game night. I'm deliberately mixing metaphors, but I think you can follow.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, Gary Sax

More
06 Mar 2018 18:47 #264752 by Not Sure
Replied by Not Sure on topic Batman Kickstarter
I gotta say, this campaign just doesn't grab me in the biscuits.

More
06 Mar 2018 19:12 #264761 by hotseatgames
Replied by hotseatgames on topic Batman Kickstarter
The ONLY thing tempting about this campaign is getting a collection of Batman minis for a somewhat decent price. It's a shame they don't have an option for just the minis, because I'd probably do it.

But if I really want to go down that rabbit hole, I'll probably just shell out for the Knight Models figures, since at least I wouldn't have to wait 15 months.

More
06 Mar 2018 19:16 #264762 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Batman Kickstarter
No, you are totally right Drew- it is absolutely a Cadillac game and it does have the advantage of being at least the most comprehensive Batman game on the market in terms of characters of nothing else.

But I would not buy a Cadillac sight unseen, and I didn’t buy any CW before it was released and available. Because that was an option this campaign doesn’t have.
The following user(s) said Thank You: drewcula

More
06 Mar 2018 20:07 - 06 Mar 2018 20:08 #264766 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Batman Kickstarter

Michael Barnes wrote: the only entity coming out on top here- even if the game is good, which it likely is, is Monolith. They are producing a huge, no-risk product line here, bankrolled with your good faith loan. But what works for you, man.

Kickstarter is getting a nice slice out of this as well. I think they’ll land six digits by web hosting a page for 30 days. Solid coin for a getaway driver.
Last edit: 06 Mar 2018 20:08 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, Gregarius

More
06 Mar 2018 20:36 #264770 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Batman Kickstarter

hotseatgames wrote: The ONLY thing tempting about this campaign is getting a collection of Batman minis for a somewhat decent price. It's a shame they don't have an option for just the minis, because I'd probably do it.

But if I really want to go down that rabbit hole, I'll probably just shell out for the Knight Models figures, since at least I wouldn't have to wait 15 months.

Maybe we could go in on this kickstarter together. I'm interested in the game but not the minis. Considering that the minis are the majority of the cost, I don't think a 50/50 split of the price would be fair, but I don't know what would be a fair price offhand. When I bought my stripped copy of Silver Tower, I think I paid $20 plus shipping, when the game retailed for $120 or $125.

More
06 Mar 2018 21:21 #264773 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic Batman Kickstarter
^ I want to see this happen, but I think there's a slight difference in STs Citadel miniatures and what ships with this game. Many people pillage GW board games just for the minis. They're in demand, which is why the games sans minis are so cheap.

More
07 Mar 2018 07:57 #264800 by hotseatgames
Replied by hotseatgames on topic Batman Kickstarter

Shellhead wrote:

hotseatgames wrote: The ONLY thing tempting about this campaign is getting a collection of Batman minis for a somewhat decent price. It's a shame they don't have an option for just the minis, because I'd probably do it.

Maybe we could go in on this kickstarter together. I'm interested in the game but not the minis. Considering that the minis are the majority of the cost, I don't think a 50/50 split of the price would be fair, but I don't know what would be a fair price offhand. When I bought my stripped copy of Silver Tower, I think I paid $20 plus shipping, when the game retailed for $120 or $125.

Perhaps. I'll see how the campaign looks closer to the end. I am not sure it would be overly advantageous for either of us when freight is taken into account.

More
07 Mar 2018 08:58 #264810 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Batman Kickstarter

hotseatgames wrote: Perhaps. I'll see how the campaign looks closer to the end. I am not sure it would be overly advantageous for either of us when freight is taken into account.

That's how you know when you're talking about a big game. It ain't shipping, it's freight.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.274 seconds