October 09, 2023
2520 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2721 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Warhammer Quest: Cursed City

More
04 Apr 2021 15:11 #321645 by themothman421
Got my pre-order in at a local shop, hopefully GW doesn't short them.

The first impressions videos floating around Youtube look good, the skellies' scale seems to be in line with the sculpts from Underworlds (Guards of the Sepulcher or whatever they were called), maybe even slightly smaller.

This should arrive roughly one month before my first official game night in over a year (everyone will be fully vaccinated by the beginning of May), so I should have enough painting time to get at least the heroes ready for the first scenario.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Apr 2021 11:27 #321785 by Shellhead
Cursed City sold out in 75 minutes. I now see a couple of stripped (no minis) copies for sale on eBay, but they are asking for at least $87.00 plus shipping, which is 43% of list price and feels steep. I'm just not sure about this yet. There is a lot in the box aside from minis, and I like the overall visual design, including the diamond motif. Early reviews indicate a more strategic style of campaign, while still preserving the excellent tactical combat structure of Blackstone Fortress.

More
08 Apr 2021 11:44 #321786 by Shellhead
Spoke too soon. Found a seller offering a stripped copy for $68 and free shipping. Scheduled to receive mine Friday next week.

More
08 Apr 2021 12:55 #321791 by hotseatgames
I guess I don't have to worry too much about buying GW games since I am entirely unwilling to jump through hoops to obtain them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample

More
08 Apr 2021 13:11 #321792 by sornars
I'm pretty sure this wasn't a limited release and will be available (again) in a few months. I FOMO'd myself into grabbing a copy but I don't think this one will be hard to get at regular prices if you're willing to wait.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
08 Apr 2021 13:19 #321793 by Shellhead

sornars wrote: I'm pretty sure this wasn't a limited release and will be available (again) in a few months. I FOMO'd myself into grabbing a copy but I don't think this one will be hard to get at regular prices if you're willing to wait.

Maybe this time will be different, but Silver Tower, Hammerhal, and Blackstone Fortress were all limited releases, especially the Blackstone expansions. I did notice a couple of Silver Tower listings on eBay today while I was looking for Cursed City. One was a stripped Silver Tower for $34, and the other was a complete set for $320!

More
08 Apr 2021 18:06 #321810 by themothman421
Yeah, GW dropped the goddamn ball on this one in terms of supply. Hope more make it to retail soon. My store called me today and said they received their shipment. I asked how many they received in total, their answer: 5, and 4 of them were accounted for via preorders (mine included). Crazy.

More
11 Apr 2021 18:41 #321912 by hotseatgames
Oh boy... I went to a game store this weekend, quite randomly. And there it was, Cursed City. I bought it.

Hopefully I get some use out of it!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, themothman421, sornars, charlest

More
11 Apr 2021 21:51 #321913 by Shellhead

themothman421 wrote: Yeah, GW dropped the goddamn ball on this one in terms of supply. Hope more make it to retail soon. My store called me today and said they received their shipment. I asked how many they received in total, their answer: 5, and 4 of them were accounted for via preorders (mine included). Crazy.

GW is doing this deliberately, because they probably underestimated the demand despite the high price point. They also did insufficient print runs for all the Blackstone Fortress expansions as well.

More
12 Apr 2021 00:35 #321917 by themothman421
Cracked open my copy today, good lord there's a lot of stuff in this box. I think I'm going to ease into the painting, got the "mysterious object" minis prepped/based/primed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brewmiester

More
12 Apr 2021 08:51 #321919 by fightcitymayor
Was surprised that Joel Eddy (Drive Thru Games) gave Cursed City the old thumbs-down in his review. And there's a guy who has become almost a blind devotee to all things Games Workshop in the last few years. Not a good sign.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, themothman421, sornars, charlest

More
12 Apr 2021 08:56 #321920 by charlest
Wow, you're right, Joel has loved all of the Warhammer Quest line and pretty much every other GW boxed game. Going to check out his review.

More
12 Apr 2021 10:06 #321925 by hotseatgames
So far I've assembled a few models. Despite GW's instructions, I assure you that some of them will require glue.

Most have push fit assembled quite nicely, though.

More
12 Apr 2021 10:51 #321933 by Michael Barnes
I watched Joel and I have to agree with him...this is a tedious, sloggy design. I think whoever designed it was aiming for a Zombicide mindless undead horde thing but coming off of BSF, which had brilliant enemy activation, it’s a massive step down. The melee only thing he mentions is a downer and adjunct to that, the no terrain thing sucks. The missions I’ve played are boring...too easy and the heroes just cut through everything without breaking a sweat.

It’s just not enough when there’s Gloomhaven, Wildlands, and any number of other options out there.

The minis are a wildly mixed bag. The skeletons, zombies, bats, and rats are the best I’ve ever seen and they are generic enough and scaled right to work with anything. Regardless of what I do with the rest of it, these are going into my TTRPG collection along with the the gravestones and other little terrain bits.. The heroes are good to great (the eagle lady is incredible). Some of the other stuff ranges from doofy to decent. The plastic seems really soft to me, I think maybe they used a softer stock for the push fit this time out. Lots of bent/broken pieces.

I dunno. It looks incredible and it seems like it should be incredible but I’m just not that jazzed by it by myself. I had to kind of force myself to play it a second session.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Gary Sax, themothman421, sornars

More
12 Apr 2021 11:20 #321935 by Shellhead
That's disappointing to hear. I played a lot of Blackstone Fortress in 2020 because it was so good. But when I first heard about Cursed City, I had a mixed reaction. On the one hand, I was thrilled about getting another Blackstone Fortress in more of a gothic horror setting. On the other hand, I was feeling like maybe I've got enough of this sort of game with Silver Tower, Hammerhal, and Blackstone, and just don't need anymore. Oh well, at least I'm only out the $70 and I can at least re-use the tiles for other games. Or make my own scenarios using this set.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.191 seconds