October 09, 2023
2552 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2751 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about Eurogames here.

Lost Treasures of the Eurogames Reclamation Project

More
04 Aug 2014 13:40 #183892 by bomber
let me add Nefertiti to the ERP list.

whack a mole is a perfect description of what the gameplay of Ghost Stories is!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Aug 2014 14:08 #183896 by ChristopherMD
I'll throw out a suggestion for a game called Milch und Gerkhin.

More
04 Aug 2014 14:37 #183902 by stormseeker75
I had Robinson Crusoe briefly and I passed it on for whatever dumb reason. I feel like I should re-acquire and try it again. Would you guys recommend it as a solitaire game?

Also, I haven't recommended too many games to this thread, but let me put a vote in for Hanging Gardens. That's a great puzzle game with set collection mixed in. I'd describe it as nice. I feel very relaxed playing that one for some reason.

More
04 Aug 2014 14:37 #183903 by dragonstout

Michael Barnes wrote: It's also the kind of co-op you can lose only because the cards came up in a bad order.

Is there ANY non-timed co-op (i.e. Space Alert doesn't count) where this is not the case? I'm pretty sure this is true for every other co-op I've ever played, including Hanabi. Keeping in mind that "bad die rolls" is *exactly* the same thing as the cards coming up in a bad order, there is zero difference.

How is Pathfinder anything BUT whack-a-mole? The game is literally that you're trying to find a mole that, once you whack him, he pops up in a different hole. Narrow him down to one hole and whack him, and you win!

It's not whack-a-mole in the same way as Pandemic or Ghost Stories, though, in that in those games, the mole pops up and then you go there and whack him; in Pathfinder, you have to go digging for the mole. You'd think that'd make the pace more player-determined, but since you have almost-zero info about where the mole is and the one thing you do every turn is "dig", nope.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Bull Nakano

More
04 Aug 2014 14:49 #183905 by black inferno

dragonstout wrote:

Michael Barnes wrote: It's also the kind of co-op you can lose only because the cards came up in a bad order.

Is there ANY non-timed co-op (i.e. Space Alert doesn't count) where this is not the case? I'm pretty sure this is true for every other co-op I've ever played, including Hanabi.

You can't lose at Hanabi as long as you have a girlfriend who gives you intentionally nasty looks when you're about to play the wrong card.

More
04 Aug 2014 16:05 #183919 by Michael Barnes
Heh, Andy, you're not wrong about Pathfinder...but at least it's whack-a-mole with level progression and loot.

Funny how NONE of the earlier German games/Euro family games were co-op...all competitive, at least that I can think of, apart from some kids games like Bauer Schnell.

Lee has really risen in the ERP ranks...he's made lots of great recommendations, a lot of which I wasn't even really aware of (like Nefertiti). When we finally form Fortress: Eurotreasure, he will be appointed a ministry seat.

I _may_ have hit the jackpot. But maybe not. I found an out-of-the-way, never-heard-of-before game shop that has a web site...and copies of quite a few OOP RGG titles at less than retail. Amun-Re, Manila(!), Finca (!!), 80 Days...but their site is also old, they talk about Magic 2012 releases as new so the place might be long gone. Or, they may have gone out of business and still have some stock. Or, they just got lazy and stopped trying to do ecommerce. Or they're bullshitting about stock and order from wholesalers "on demand" (which NEVER works, BTW). I emailed them, we'll see.

I played a game of Augustus over the weekend...not an old forgotten treasure, but it's a really fun ultra-light game that already seems like it's on the way to flash-in-the-pan status.

More
04 Aug 2014 16:17 #183921 by Michael Barnes
HOw about Ys? that was one I never got to play...junk or jewel? Is it one of THOSE Eurogames from that period, where they went down the tubes?

More
04 Aug 2014 16:18 #183923 by Bull Nakano
Seems like it should be Eurotreasure Cathedral.
The following user(s) said Thank You: scissors

More
04 Aug 2014 16:23 - 04 Aug 2014 16:25 #183925 by scissors
Or Fortress: Eurohole. Like a black hole, only better! when you get sucked in you don't get torn to shreds across eternity but get to play Hamburgem till the end of time.
Last edit: 04 Aug 2014 16:25 by scissors.

More
04 Aug 2014 16:24 #183926 by stormseeker75
Buy what you want and then share the damn link, Barnes. I'd love a copy of Egizia and/or Glen More.

More
04 Aug 2014 16:26 #183927 by dragonstout

black inferno wrote:

dragonstout wrote:

Is there ANY non-timed co-op (i.e. Space Alert doesn't count) where this is not the case? I'm pretty sure this is true for every other co-op I've ever played, including Hanabi.

You can't lose at Hanabi as long as you have a girlfriend who gives you intentionally nasty looks when you're about to play the wrong card.

The unwinnable Hanabi deck configurations are if, say, the final two cards of the deck are both green 2s. I don't lose sleep over it just like I don't lose sleep over any other co-op game being unwinnable at times; I think that mostly just comes with the genre.

More
04 Aug 2014 16:40 #183929 by Legomancer

Michael Barnes wrote: HOw about Ys? that was one I never got to play...junk or jewel? Is it one of THOSE Eurogames from that period, where they went down the tubes?

Ystari has a knack for making games that are pretty good, but you never feel like playing them. They are really close to being keepers, but never quite make it there.

More
04 Aug 2014 16:49 #183931 by Michael Barnes
Sorry Stormy- Unnamed Potential Jackpot doesn't list Egizia or Glen More.

I'm already thinking of my next board game design after Milch und Gherkin is finished. It will be about impressing Michael Barnes with your ERP purchases. If Michael Barnes is impressed, you move a scoring token around a track.

Dave, that's kind of how I thought about Ystari games all along...except I never got to the actually playing them part.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
04 Aug 2014 18:02 #183934 by Chaz
You lose points for smiling or speaking during the game, right? And the box is brown with a stern-looking Barnes glowering out at you?

Damn, I'm halfway to being on the BGG Hotness list already! Just need to figure out how to integrate Cthulhu zombie minis by the hundreds, and then I'm off to Kickstarter! This is gonna be great!

More
04 Aug 2014 18:58 #183939 by Dogmatix

wadenels wrote:

black inferno wrote: Many many years ago, there was a now-long-defunct Fireball Island tribute site on Geocities containing an exhaustive set of homebrewed rules, character sheets, items, NPCs and game cards that transformed a simple roll-and-move kids game into the pulp adventure version of Talisman you never knew you wanted. The greatest gaming experience of my life was playing this next-level version of F.I. by candlelight during a hurricane party in 1999. Played with that ruleset, it's the best Indiana Jones-vibe game never released.

Any chance you still have the URL (for the Wayback Machine) or a way to track that old stuff down?

I actually PDF'd that *entire* website at one point but lost the damn file (along with a number of other "PDF mirrors" I made) in a RAID meltdown [nothing like having 3 drives go at precisely the same moment]. Acrobat Pro's "create from website" feature can be a beautiful thing as long as you don't let Acrobat accidentally stray off onto the ad server or some linked site. I'll poke around and see if I still have an old bookmark or somesuch
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons, wadenels, black inferno

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.524 seconds