October 09, 2023
2518 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2718 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Trashdome - Fury Of Dracula VS Castle Ravenloft

More
27 Oct 2010 13:32 #77671 by stormseeker75
I'll be waiting for that pink slip while kicking the shit out of a huge fucking Dracolith.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Oct 2010 15:55 #77681 by Rliyen
*FoD popping its knuckles over a prostrate CR*

Please, don't get up...

More
27 Oct 2010 16:34 #77687 by Msample
Vampires are stupid.

Vote: Ravenloft

More
27 Oct 2010 16:53 #77689 by Ken B.
Msample wrote:

Vampires are stupid.

Vote: Ravenloft

Uh...irony?

:))

More
27 Oct 2010 17:00 #77692 by VonTush
Continuing the beer theme on the front page:
CR is your Bud/Miller of gaming, it goes down easy, doesn't fill you up, works well in high quantities and in different situations and overall has superior playability.

FoD is a smaller brewery that tastes better than CR, is very satisfying and provides a fulfilling experience, but works best in smaller quantities so you can taste the difference in quality and will occasionally deliver a skunky taste that is not for everyone.

Since my group is a bunch of Miller Lite drinkers my group's vote would go to CR, but myself can only take so much Miller so my vote would go to FoD.

Vote: FoD

More
27 Oct 2010 17:31 #77697 by scissors
Another kick in the teeth for ol' strahd.

Vote: FURY of Dracula

More
27 Oct 2010 17:35 #77699 by Michael Barnes
Bad for the hobby, heh heh...that's awesome.

Anyway, yeah, how are you going to pick Strahd over Dracula? That makes little or no sense. I thought the people here had more taste and dignity than that.

More
27 Oct 2010 17:45 - 27 Oct 2010 17:50 #77701 by southernman
Never played or seen Ravenloft, am keen to play it after all the discussion as it does appear to be a fun and short game - but, unless everyone was understating it in all the reviews last month, I don't think it rates up against FoD for the player involvement and fun I experience in that game.

Vote: FoD
Last edit: 27 Oct 2010 17:50 by southernman.

More
27 Oct 2010 17:53 #77703 by DeletedUser
I sure hope Strahd presents more of a challenge to overcome in CR.

More
27 Oct 2010 22:18 #77719 by NeonPeon
Jeff White wrote:

FoD, on the other hand, not only requires players that have several plays under their belt

No it doesn't. I'd say to be a good Dracula takes one practice game but that's it. I've only played four times ever, everyone else I've played with has had less experience, with at least one complete newbie per game. All were great games except the one two-player game where my ex didn't really want to play anyway.

More
28 Oct 2010 08:42 - 28 Oct 2010 08:45 #77746 by Mr. White
NeonPeon wrote:

Jeff White wrote:

FoD, on the other hand, not only requires players that have several plays under their belt

No it doesn't. I'd say to be a good Dracula takes one practice game but that's it. I've only played four times ever, everyone else I've played with has had less experience, with at least one complete newbie per game. All were great games except the one two-player game where my ex didn't really want to play anyway.

Not true. For the game to be competitive, you not only need a competent Dracula player, but the players need to understand the nature of Dracula's abilities, the cards that enable him to alter his standard movement. Cards like Double Back, Hide and Wolf. Sure, you can explain these ahead of time, but on top of learning all the other rules, I've seen most players forget about Dracula's cards. The hunter players also have to have experience and strategy on farming the deck and when to stop (Evasion). So, a couple of plays as the hunters is usually necessary for the game to reach it's potential.

Also, a good Dracula player can pretty much isolate a player or two and keep them out of the game. Fun. And don't tell me I should be playing with 3 players (Dracula player and two hunters per player), I'm comparing FoD vs CR with a full compliment of 5. In CR every player is engaged every turn. In FoD many turns can go by where a player really doesn't do anything.

So, again, with CR I know all 5 of us will have a decent enough time. With FoD the Dracula player will have tons of fun, but it'll be hit or miss for the others.

Highly overrated game.
Last edit: 28 Oct 2010 08:45 by Mr. White.

More
28 Oct 2010 09:25 #77750 by Shellhead
Jeff, those are all selling points for why Fury of Dracula is a classic. It has strategy, depth, and replay value. Castle Ravenloft hasn't been around long, so it still has that new-car smell. But from what we've all seen, Castle Ravenloft appears to be a short, shallow game without any qualities of an enduring classic.

More
28 Oct 2010 09:29 #77751 by Ken B.

The hunter players also have to have experience and strategy on farming the deck and when to stop (Evasion).

That's the only really solid tip they need in advance. The other cards can be explained as you play.

More
28 Oct 2010 09:56 #77756 by NeonPeon
Jeff White wrote:

NeonPeon wrote:

Jeff White wrote:

Not true. For the game to be competitive, you not only need a competent Dracula player, but the players need to understand the nature of Dracula's abilities, the cards that enable him to alter his standard movement. Cards like Double Back, Hide and Wolf. Sure, you can explain these ahead of time, but on top of learning all the other rules, I've seen most players forget about Dracula's cards. The hunter players also have to have experience and strategy on farming the deck and when to stop (Evasion). So, a couple of plays as the hunters is usually necessary for the game to reach it's potential.

Also, a good Dracula player can pretty much isolate a player or two and keep them out of the game. Fun. And don't tell me I should be playing with 3 players (Dracula player and two hunters per player), I'm comparing FoD vs CR with a full compliment of 5. In CR every player is engaged every turn. In FoD many turns can go by where a player really doesn't do anything.

So, again, with CR I know all 5 of us will have a decent enough time. With FoD the Dracula player will have tons of fun, but it'll be hit or miss for the others.

Highly overrated game.

OK, then apparently I have yet to tap the game's full potential, in which case it's unbelievably awesome instead of just regular awesome.

More
28 Oct 2010 10:11 - 28 Oct 2010 10:28 #77758 by ubarose
Jeff White wrote:

NeonPeon wrote:

Jeff White wrote:

Not true. For the game to be competitive, you not only need a competent Dracula player, but the players need to understand the nature of Dracula's abilities...

...Also, a good Dracula player can pretty much isolate a player or two and keep them out of the game.

Fury of Dracula is a battle of wits between Dracula and the Hunter players. For Fury of Dracula to be competitive you need Dracula and at least one Hunter to have the same experience and/or skill level, and three other hunters who are willing to be coached along. I say "and/or" regarding skill and experience, as there are gamers who have the ability to digest and remember a great deal of rules and information quickly and who can form strategies based just on a read through of the rules, while others require playing through the game several times to get to this point.

Fury of Dracula starts to shine when all players are at least moderately skilled as well as equally matched, and improves as the players skills increases. I've found that the game typically "fails to deliver" when all players are, to put it bluntly, incompetent. In this case, Fury of Dracula tends to play out as an over long, overly complicated Scotland Yard. Therefore, when introducing new players to the game, it is, as I mentioned earlier, far more successful if you have a skilled Dracula and at least one skilled Hunter coach.

You also need Hunters who are willing to work closely together and respect each others ideas. Even when a player's character is "out of the game" that player isn't out of the game. He can and should be contributing ideas to the Hunters' overall strategy.

Finally, the game will run much more smoothly with a knowledgeable and experienced Dracula. The fact that Dracula's power cards and tiles are essentially text less presents a steep initial learning curve for the Dracula player. Nothing kills the game faster than a Dracula player with his/her nose in the rules book through out the game, looking up each tile and double checking what their powers do. A significant part of the game is played "off the table" as Sag says. Dracula's goal is to divide and conquer, not just the characters' pawns on the board, but the players themselves. As Dracula, you need to be paying attention to the Hunters discussion; be able to make eye contact with them as they make their moves; sow seeds of fear and doubt with a raised eyebrow; throw them off track with a well timed glance. Twist them until thier discussions escalate to arguments.

The Hunters' job is to resist falling out among themselves. Keep the pressure on Dracula. Make him sweat. Bluff and harass him. Stress him out until he panics and makes mistakes.

Fury of Dracula isn't a game about people playing with pawns and cards. It's a game about people playing with people.

ETA: Cut and paste dropped a paragrah.
Last edit: 28 Oct 2010 10:28 by ubarose.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.168 seconds