October 09, 2023
2523 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2724 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
22 Jan 2021 13:50 #318283 by Ah_Pook
"only" 25 scenarios is still more Gloomhaven than like 90% of people will actually play through.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, Jexik, siberianhusky, Gregarius

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Jan 2021 14:01 - 22 Jan 2021 14:05 #318285 by Jexik
For sure. There's a remarkable amount of stuff crammed into that large-but-not-as-large-as-regular-Gloomhaven box. I think it's more just the idea that the board game isn't something that can infinitely be replayed is weird to some people, whether or not "10" is closer to where most people end up. After the second scenario she was enjoying it but pushed for tabling it before doing the 3rd scenario for fear we'd burn through too quickly.

I've got 1 copy of Risk Legacy and 1 copy of Pandemic Legacy S2 that say this is kind of an unwarranted fear.
Last edit: 22 Jan 2021 14:05 by Jexik.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, birdman37

More
22 Jan 2021 14:30 #318286 by dragonstout

Jexik wrote: Picked up Gloomhaven: Jaws of the Lion and played the first two scenarios, with two players. Red Guard and Hatchet seems like a decent combo so far. We realized after we played the first scenario, which is likely supposed to be easy, that we had accidentally played as if ALL the monsters were elites. It was still pretty easy, but I'm sure the game ramps up as you add more and more rules and complexity. The slow rollout is nice though. Girlfriend likes it, but is a little iffy on the whole legacy concept and *only* getting 25 scenarios or whatever. We had laminated the last score sheets of That's So Clever and Twice as Clever to allow us to keep playing with dry erase markers...

I think I vaguely remember that the first scenario is impossible to lose? It's certainly just to demo the mechanics. By the time you face your first "boss" it's plenty tough, don't worry. I really think the slow rollout of rules and cards is GREAT, and I'm even speaking as someone who in theory knew all the rules ahead of time anyway from having played a couple games of normal Gloomhaven.

Legacy-wise: I DON'T think of Jaws of the Lion as a Legacy game. You're supposed to put stickers on the board, but we just keep a list of the names and numbers of the scenarios that are open to us instead, and cross them out as we complete them. That's ALL the sticker part is, a way of keeping a list of the open scenarios. If you care about resellability or whatever, you don't need to do it, but it's also slightly more immersive in the theme to use the stickers. Original Gloomhaven does a whole lot more with its stickers that makes it definitely Legacy, but Jaws basically does nothing with its stickers.

And lol I wouldn't worry about burning through them quickly. 25 is a crapload. Personally I'd rather play interesting setups that someone has figured out with a little storyline behind them than play randomly generated setups, which are the only option that would give infinite scenarios.

Jexik, are your Risk Legacy and Pandemic Legacy S2 played or unplayed? No Pandemic Legacy S1? I think S1 is immeasurably better than S2; S1 was one of the best board game experiences we ever had, S2 was just ok.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jexik

More
22 Jan 2021 14:55 - 22 Jan 2021 15:02 #318287 by Jexik

dragonstout wrote: And lol I wouldn't worry about burning through them quickly. 25 is a crapload. Personally I'd rather play interesting setups that someone has figured out with a little storyline behind them than play randomly generated setups, which are the only option that would give infinite scenarios.

Jexik, are your Risk Legacy and Pandemic Legacy S2 played or unplayed? No Pandemic Legacy S1? I think S1 is immeasurably better than S2; S1 was one of the best board game experiences we ever had, S2 was just ok.

Yeah, I'm not too worried about burning through it too quickly. Even at 1 scenario almost every night, we're looking at 1-2 months minimum.

My Legacy of Legacies:

Risk Legacy A: Purchased and played with a couple guys I was renting a house with and a cast of rotating one-timers. One guy had like 6 wins 12 games in and had sort of a toxic personality unsuited to multiplayer gaming in a very adult manner- we stopped playing.

Risk Legacy B: Bought ostensibly to play with my game group. We played maybe 5 games before people wanted to play whatever was new and shiny more.

Risk Legacy C: Bought for the after school program I used to run. Kids loved it and we played through all 15 games.

Pandemic Legacy Season 1: Played with the wife and alternated between her parents to play almost exclusively 3p. Had a blast and finished over a christmas break. I believe it's deserving of its accolades and spot on the BGG top 10. The story/writing itself wasn't that impressive to me, but how the mechanics changed and told that story over time WAS.

Pandemic Legacy Season 2: Played 2p with the wife... got to around July or August? Putting down the dates we played was kinda depressing as it was often 3-6 months between plays. Had to relearn rules. Was a bit of a slog. Thought the exploration mechanic was *pretty neat,* but not enough to keep us going. Marriage itself fell apart for other reasons. Game destined to be an unsellable toad. Might have been thrown out? Unsure.

Kingdom Death Monster? No tearing stuff up here, but it feels kinda similar. Got to the point where we could easily handle the first two monsters then the group fell apart for some unknown reason. I honestly don't remember.

Pandemic Legacy Season 0: Purchased, currently unplayed. Opened it up and saw that it diverged a bit more from Pandemic than I expected, and that I'd be unable to teach it easily without a deep dive into the rulebook and understanding its systems. Because of the nature of Legacy games, I did not want to screw anything up so I'm currently a little gunshy about it.
Last edit: 22 Jan 2021 15:02 by Jexik.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dragonstout, jpat, sornars, Gregarius, DarthJoJo

More
22 Jan 2021 18:27 - 22 Jan 2021 18:28 #318291 by Cranberries

Jexik wrote:

dragonstout wrote: Pandemic Legacy Season 2: Played 2p with the wife... got to around July or August?

Putting down the dates we played was kinda depressing

as it was often 3-6 months between plays.

Had to relearn rules.

Was a bit of a slog.

Thought the exploration mechanic was *pretty neat,* but not enough to keep us going.

Marriage itself fell apart for other reasons.

Game destined to be an unsellable toad.

Might have been thrown out? Unsure.

First, let me say that I'm sorry your marriage came apart. Second--this reads (to me) like a short, sad poem about board games and relationships.
Last edit: 22 Jan 2021 18:28 by Cranberries.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ah_Pook

More
22 Jan 2021 21:36 - 22 Jan 2021 21:37 #318292 by Ah_Pook
Played Talisman 2e on stream tonight. Took about 2.5 hours two handed, including all expansions except The City and Dragons (don't have that one). Used 5 trophies to level up and Craft being levelable house rules. It ended up in a bruising fight to the finish atop the Crown of Command space, down to 1 life apiece... The Warrior wins the combat but the Valkyrie blocks the killing blow with her armor! Another round of combat, and the Valkyrie emerges triumphant! Couldn't have scripted a better ending. A good time was had by all, and no one even got turned into a Toad.

You can check out the VOD if you want to watch me roll a whole bunch of d6s :)
www.twitch.tv/videos/884102184
Last edit: 22 Jan 2021 21:37 by Ah_Pook.

More
22 Jan 2021 22:39 #318293 by Dr. Mabuse
I've been playing a tonne of Pax Porfiriana on Yucata.de lately and absolutely loving it. The implementation is fantastic and it can be played asynchronously. I wish I knew about this years ago.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Cranberries, Msample, mezike, sornars, Nodens, Pugnax555, mc

More
23 Jan 2021 07:06 #318294 by mads b.
Played CHAOS IN THE OLD WORLD on TTS yesterday. It's a great mod and it felt very much like playing it IRL. We played with the Morrslieb cards, four players with no rat and I had Slanesh. Khorne played a bit timid in the first round and I got off to a flying start. Got double dial advancements in the first two rounds and quickly decided to abandon all hope of points. But then I had a huge target painted on my forehead and got nothing in the next turn. And then, suddenly, fucking Nurgle ruined a couple of regions and then ruined everything by getting, I think, 27 points in the fourth round and winning.

I love this game so much, and the Morrslieb cards are pretty awesome.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Dr. Mabuse, Msample, Jackwraith, mezike, hotseatgames, sornars, Ah_Pook

More
23 Jan 2021 10:43 #318295 by hotseatgames
Haven't played CitOW in so long. I really enjoyed that one. I think Cthulhu Wars replaced it for my group. The group I have not seen in over a year.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
23 Jan 2021 11:20 #318296 by Msample
What are the Morrslieb cards ??

More
23 Jan 2021 12:33 #318297 by Disgustipater
They are replacement Chaos card decks, and change up a given faction’s strategies.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
23 Jan 2021 13:47 #318299 by mads b.
They are from the expansion. It also adds new faction upgrades and unlike the base set they are all pretty balanced within each set. In the base game certain upgrades are auto-choice, but it's a bit more iffy with the new ones.

One thing they change is that they for instance give Khorne an opportunity to win by points and make it feasible for Nurgle to win by clicks
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Dr. Mabuse

More
23 Jan 2021 17:39 #318300 by Ah_Pook
I traded away the expansion to CITOW, since I can never get anyone to play CITOW enough to need it. Man I do love CITOW though even if I've almost traded it away a hundred times, for the same reason I traded the expansion away.

More
24 Jan 2021 02:14 #318306 by mads b.
The TTS module is really quite excellent if going digital makes it easier to get it played.

More
25 Jan 2021 13:16 #318338 by Jexik
Up through scenario 4 in Gloomhaven: Jaws of the Lion. Still dig it, and appreciate the ramping complexity as dropping all of that on scenario 1 would have been a bear to teach. The elemental system seems kind of silly and a way to get "resource management" tags on BGG for a hex crawler, while there was one card for my Hatchet character that I must have read 5-10 times before I felt confident in using it, and I'm still slightly unsure of how it interacts with other cards. I may go to BGG to take a look about it...

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.172 seconds