October 09, 2023
2514 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2713 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

Games Workshop--what are you buying, selling, playing, or painting?

More
01 Feb 2019 09:47 #291286 by charlest
The best way now would be to buy a Killzone of your choice (for terrain/battlefield), the standalone rulebook, and then each player would need some minis. You could buy the Kill Team specific faction sets, but they're not needed and you could just Ebay a squad.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SaMoKo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Feb 2019 09:47 #291287 by Michael Barnes
The starter kit was intended to be a one-off bundle. You can buy just the rulebook and be ready to go, really, if you already have models and terrain. If you don’t, it can be as simple as picking up two squad boxes or getting that Know No Fear set which I believe is enough for both Astartes/Death Guard.

The Sector boxes are great but I think they may be limited or something. The new one coming out tomorrow was sort of hard to get- they were limiting it to two per retailer. I got it direct from GW at the premium retail price.

Pretty sure they will do another starter this year- rumour has it that it will be Sisters versus Black Legion with a new Sector.

More
01 Feb 2019 10:26 #291293 by SaMoKo
They really need to idiot-proof the whole entry for non warhammer types lol. I have some old warhammer models lying around:

About half a Catachan army (maybe 1000 points? I sold off the vehicles and walkers)

Some squads of squats (500 points?)

And some genestealers and hormagaunts with a few lictors, 6 warriors, an artillary psychic thing and a tyrant

More
01 Feb 2019 10:27 #291294 by SaMoKo
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
01 Feb 2019 10:46 #291296 by Michael Barnes
You can easily just sub the Squats in for an Astra Militarum list. You can make a Tyranid list with three Warriors and maybe a couple of Gaunts. Or you can do all Genestealers- it takes about 8 to make a 90-100 point list. You definitely have enough Catachan, Astartes, and Orks to play with.

In general, most factions have just two or three units. They tend to be the “squad box” models. Other examples:

Necrons- 5-6 Immortals/Deathmarks, a couple of useless Warriors if you must
Thousand Sons- 6-7 Rubric Marines, maybe a Tzaangor or two
Drukhari- 8-9 Wyches, a couple of Kabalite Warriors with heavy weapons
Tau- Mix of Fire Warriors, Breachers,
And drones or Three Stealth Battlesuits and Drones
AdMech- 6-7 Skiitari/Vanguard with 2 Sicarian

Everything I’ve played has been fun except Craftworld Aeldari- they just don’t have the units to compete right now.

Another starting option is to get Rogue Trader, which includes two full ( and very awesome) teams and the rulebook. Or, you actually can get Black Fortress and the Rulebook if you have a terrain set as that way has no terrain for KT. But the BF teams are really, really cool.

More
01 Feb 2019 11:29 #291298 by SaMoKo
I’m more worried about how to get my hands on maps and terrain, which I’m guessing are needed? I’ll likely just repurpose my old models and maybe pick up from eBay a few prepainted ones

More
01 Feb 2019 11:44 #291300 by Michael Barnes
Yeah, terrain is a must but you don’t have to use KT terrains or sectors...just like on the old days you can use stacks of books, coffee cans, blocks, 300 baud modems...

The great thing about the faction starters is that you get a ready to play team out of the box (cards filled out and everything, with tokens and cards) and you get some terrain. The sets coming out tomorrow (AdMech and GSC) have Mars-y Ryza Ruins stuff which is pretty nice and easy to paint up. If you can find the Sector Fronteris Box, it also has a full Ryza kit.

It’s a shame the previous Sector boxes seem to be going away and are $$$ on EBay now- they are great kits.

I’ve got everything released except for the Commander packs- just don’t do Commanders much and they are pretty expensive.

More
01 Feb 2019 12:26 #291302 by SaMoKo
I guess I’ll drop into a GW shop and check out the terrain boxes and rules. My squats, Catachan and Tyranids can likely build up 3-4 squads, so I’ll pick up some Orks and Chaos to flesh out the list a bit. Orks have always been my favorites; I typically played my bud’s army back in the day because he hated it lol. Chances are I’ll go all-in with the Orks to have a full roster I can field and swap out.

More
01 Feb 2019 13:01 #291305 by Michael Barnes
If you can get the Krogskull’s Boyz starter and a box of Boyz, you can do a team with Boyz, Burnas and Lootas.

More
01 Feb 2019 14:25 #291309 by SaMoKo
Do they still move better if I paint them red?

More
01 Feb 2019 15:04 - 01 Feb 2019 15:04 #291315 by GorillaGrody

SaMoKo wrote: They really need to idiot-proof the whole entry for non warhammer types lol. I have some old warhammer models lying around:

About half a Catachan army (maybe 1000 points? I sold off the vehicles and walkers)

And some genestealers and hormagaunts with a few lictors, 6 warriors, an artillary psychic thing and a tyrant

If you have to build an audience for this anyway, why not try the new Sigmar Skirmish rules in the latest White Dwarf? It's way cheaper.

But if you already have people committed to KT, than you'll have no luck getting people into Sigmar skirmish. It just doesn't seem to have taken off the way it did when it was first introduced, and I'm hoping against hope to build a small audience for it from the ground up here in Chicago.

They're written by the same guy who did Hinterlands, BTW.

Anyway, I started a thread for it here:
therewillbe.games/forum/10-ameritrash/20...kirmish-rules#291313
Last edit: 01 Feb 2019 15:04 by GorillaGrody.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
01 Feb 2019 15:09 #291318 by SaMoKo
It’s probably easier to pull in my buds who already have 40K armies into Kill Team. They can likely peel some Necrons and Space Marines from their big armies and be good to go.

They’ve been trying to pull me in for a while, but I have no time to paint and assemble a full ork army lol

More
01 Feb 2019 15:11 #291319 by charlest

GorillaGrody wrote:

SaMoKo wrote: They really need to idiot-proof the whole entry for non warhammer types lol. I have some old warhammer models lying around:

If you have to build an audience for this anyway, why not try the new Sigmar Skirmish rules in the latest White Dwarf? It's way cheaper.

But if you already have people committed to KT, than you'll have no luck getting people into Sigmar skirmish. It just doesn't seem to have taken off the way it did when it was first introduced, and I'm hoping against hope to build a small audience for it from the ground up here in Chicago.

They're written by the same guy who did Hinterlands, BTW.

Anyway, I started a thread for it here:
therewillbe.games/forum/10-ameritrash/20...kirmish-rules#291313

Random aside but shooting off your AoS skirmish point - has anyone played Kings of War skirmish release, Vanguard? It's gotten a very surprising amount of buzz compared to what I was expecting. It's been a bit of a hit if online chatter is any sort of indicator.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GorillaGrody

More
01 Feb 2019 15:21 #291320 by GorillaGrody
I didn't know about it, but I'm going to go check it out now.

More
01 Feb 2019 22:19 #291332 by SaMoKo
So I grabbed the rule book for Kill Team, and may pick up the new terrain kit coming out tomorrow.

For an Ork army, would a pack of Boyz and a pack of Lootaz work? May pick up some Gretchin as well, but don’t want to overwhelm myself with painting.

There are Nobz listed as options for orks, but I’m not sure if actual Nobz models are needed for this option or if I just designate some normal orks.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.216 seconds