October 09, 2023
2516 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2716 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What KICKSTARTER(S) are you BACKING and WHY?

More
28 Apr 2020 10:40 #309731 by Gary Sax
^^I'm a little unusual in that I think Pax Renaissance is better than Pamir.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Apr 2020 10:55 #309732 by hotseatgames

n815e wrote: What are opinions on backing the upcoming Nemesis expansion, especially for someone that didn’t back the first time?

My opinion as a backer of the first Nemesis KS is that I am 100% in, the game is awesome. I'll probably even grab the Carnomorphs from the first KS. I didn't get them before.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, n815e

More
28 Apr 2020 11:35 #309733 by charlest
Same. Love Nemesis. In for this one.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames, n815e

More
28 Apr 2020 11:49 #309736 by Msample

Gary Sax wrote: ^^I'm a little unusual in that I think Pax Renaissance is better than Pamir.

Its hard to pick; when REN first came out, I had soured on PAMIR, but that was 1st edition. The new edition both plays cleaner and I got more used to tableau OPS from REN . I think they are just different and would be hard pressed to choose; the advantage PAMIR has is its definitely shorter as well as a notch or two simpler IMO .

More
28 Apr 2020 11:57 #309737 by Msample
As far as backing NEMESIS LOCKDOWN when it comes out, I am all in as well. If you haven't played NEMESIS, I'd def recommend it before backing. Why ? Cuz while its an awesome game - IMO - going all in is gonna be REAL pricey. Like going all in, non painted is gonna be $300 or so. Cheaper than Ebay currently though...

Here is how I'd rank the options:

NEMESIS core box - of course you need it.

AFTERMATH. This adds some optional scenarios which I have not tried yet - Research mode . But the real draw here IMO is the new characters - they have very different play styles vs the original ones. Adds a LOT of replay value. Also some new room tiles, gun turrets, and cards as well.

LOCKDOWN expansion . Of course we don't know what its in it, other than it is standalone as well as compatible with the original base game.

MEDIC character. Hear its good. you can also easily download the dozen or so card images and just proxy it. Will likely be a pretty cheap add on though.

CARNOMORPHS/VOIDSEEKERS . New monster races. Have not played with them . One makes characters slowly go insane, the other starts off weaker but grows stronger, introduces character mutations as well.

TERRAIN expansion - replaces door and egg cardboard tiles with plastic minis . Looks cool, takes up more space.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike, n815e

More
28 Apr 2020 12:26 #309740 by n815e
Thanks.

I think it looks very good. I am flip-flopping between Nemesis and Core Space. I know they are very different games, but on the surface they are both dungeon crawls about space crews running around and facing hostile aliens/AI.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
28 Apr 2020 12:37 #309743 by hotseatgames
I just backed Guards of Atlantis II. www.kickstarter.com/projects/wolffdesign...hed_project_launched

I love the first game, and this looks even better. There may be a cooperative expansion that comes out later, which I may work on.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, BillyBobThwarton

More
28 Apr 2020 12:38 #309744 by hotseatgames

n815e wrote: Thanks.

I think it looks very good. I am flip-flopping between Nemesis and Core Space. I know they are very different games, but on the surface they are both dungeon crawls about space crews running around and facing hostile aliens/AI.

I don't think those games have much in common outside of both being in space, honestly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, Gary Sax, Msample, n815e

More
28 Apr 2020 15:09 #309757 by mads b.

n815e wrote: What are opinions on backing the upcoming Nemesis expansion, especially for someone that didn’t back the first time?

The upcoming Nemesis is actually a stand alone game that allows you to use (some of) the orginal content. I'm no where near having played out my base game and I haven't even tried the one expansion I have, but I'm definitely going to back this. Nemesis is excellent value for money, and I like the idea of being on a Mars base - especially since I'm currently working on a learning game for high schoolers that takes place on a Mars base.

Also I've backed The Ratcatcher solo adventure board game. I don't know much about it, but I like the wooden rat meeples, I like adventure games, and I like to solo board games. Also it's not a 100+ dollars game with tons of minis, so it's not that expensive.
The following user(s) said Thank You: n815e

More
28 Apr 2020 17:40 #309762 by southernman

mads b. wrote:

The upcoming Nemesis is actually a stand alone game that allows you to use (some of) the orginal content. I'm no where near having played out my base game and I haven't even tried the one expansion I have, but I'm definitely going to back this. Nemesis is excellent value for money, and I like the idea of being on a Mars base - especially since I'm currently working on a learning game for high schoolers that takes place on a Mars base.

Also I've backed The Ratcatcher solo adventure board game. I don't know much about it, but I like the wooden rat meeples, I like adventure games, and I like to solo board games. Also it's not a 100+ dollars game with tons of minis, so it's not that expensive.

Yeah, I saw that but I'm in the same boat with many more base game plays wanted, plus we've only done Aftermath once and not even tried Voidseekers, plus not even looked at the campaign and scenarios in the Untold Stories books. And trying to get all that played plus the many newer games I have that need either more plays or even started, on top of the six KSers arriving in the next 10 months I will not have time to expand the Nemesis family.
The following user(s) said Thank You: n815e

More
29 Apr 2020 17:28 #309793 by drewcula
Just jumping in, to jump right back out.

I have a quirky little Kickstarter running right now. YMMV depending on your fandom for 'The Shining,' Jack Torrance, and Drinking.

On the positive - it's inexpensive!

www.kickstarter.com/projects/jacktorranc...term=jack%20torrance

More
29 Apr 2020 23:49 #309803 by Shellhead
Wait, what? No miniatures? Who are you, and what you done with Drewcula?
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames, drewcula

More
06 May 2020 10:49 - 06 May 2020 11:15 #309991 by ChristopherMD
Backing the new Deadlands core book because I want to read it.

www.kickstarter.com/projects/545820095/deadlands-the-weird-west

Warning: Spoiler!
Last edit: 06 May 2020 11:15 by ChristopherMD.

More
06 May 2020 15:08 #310007 by Sagrilarus
Just-in-time Union -- Kickstarter just announced layoffs, and the new union negotiated severance packages (severance pay and medical insurance) for the employees.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Gary Sax, jpat, Jackwraith, mezike, hotseatgames, Ah_Pook, n815e

More
06 May 2020 16:37 - 06 May 2020 16:46 #310013 by Ah_Pook
Theres a reissue of the original Swedish version of Dungeonquest
(Drakborgen) on Kickstarter, but it only ships to Sweden and it's only Swedish language. Makes me sad, I would definitely be tempted haaaaard to back it otherwise. There's a cool book and other stuff.
Last edit: 06 May 2020 16:46 by Ah_Pook.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.318 seconds