October 09, 2023
2514 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2712 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
29 Sep 2019 22:42 #302074 by DarthJoJo
My wife enjoyed X-Men: Dark Phoenix. I did not. It wasn't boggling bad like Last Stand, but maybe that would have been better. Even though nothing in that movie mattered as everything thing of substance beside the deaths of Cyclops and Jean Grey was walked back within the movie, it felt like the writers and directors were throwing everything at the wall in the hopes that something would stick, even if most of what stuck was ludicrous. Dark Phoenix just felt like no one cared. It felt like a contractual mandate that absolutely everyone was just trying to get through with the least effort. Craft services probably just left the meats and cheeses in the grocery store plastic and made people mix their own juice concentrate.

Dazzler and Quentin Quire's cameos, Jean dragging Xavier up the stairs, and Nightcrawler's tail cuff were the extent of worthwhile things in the movie. We've already seen Magneto find a peaceful life only to be dragged back into violence. We've already seen an abbreviated Dark Phoenix story. What could have been a thrilling scene of the X-Men and Brotherhood working together against a common enemy was undercut by an enemy whose motivations and abilities and everything were not described in any form. Beast and Mystique yell at Xavier even though his sin was pretty minor and he was right about the rest.

The movie just couldn't be bothered to make me care about anything. Maybe they'll do a better job next time they reboot the whole thing in four years and try Dark Phoenix in six.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Sep 2019 01:10 #302078 by Disgustipater

DarthJoJo wrote: Maybe they'll do a better job next time they reboot the whole thing in four years and try Dark Phoenix in six.

Hopefully they don’t hire Simon Kinberg again. I guess they thought the guy who wrote Last Stand would do a better job the second time around if they also let him direct it. Maybe third time’s a charm?
The following user(s) said Thank You: DarthJoJo

More
30 Sep 2019 08:05 #302080 by hotseatgames
Watched The Room again this weekend. I have seen it several times, and I keep finding quirks. What a strange, mess of a movie. So bad it's.... well it's still bad but you still have to see it.

More
30 Sep 2019 09:15 #302081 by charlest
I enjoyed Ad Astra. The ending was perhaps underwhelming but the metaphor behind it was interesting. Some of the science may have been junk, but don't care, this felt a bit like Apocalypse Now in space. Not quite as profound though.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gregarius

More
30 Sep 2019 11:32 #302088 by Gregarius

charlest wrote: I enjoyed Ad Astra. The ending was perhaps underwhelming but the metaphor behind it was interesting. Some of the science may have been junk, but don't care, this felt a bit like Apocalypse Now in space. Not quite as profound though.

Yeah, I felt almost exactly the same way. It was visually gorgeous, but the action set pieces that occurred seemingly every 30 minutes were distracting (and didn't really seem relevant to the story).

Regarding the ending:
Warning: Spoiler!

More
30 Sep 2019 11:46 #302089 by charlest

Gregarius wrote:

charlest wrote: I enjoyed Ad Astra. The ending was perhaps underwhelming but the metaphor behind it was interesting. Some of the science may have been junk, but don't care, this felt a bit like Apocalypse Now in space. Not quite as profound though.

Yeah, I felt almost exactly the same way. It was visually gorgeous, but the action set pieces that occurred seemingly every 30 minutes were distracting (and didn't really seem relevant to the story).

Regarding the ending:

More
01 Oct 2019 13:33 #302114 by jpat
I liked a fair bit of Ad Astra and, especially because the number of thinky SF films out there is minimal, would mildly recommend it, but while it wasn't as talky as Gravity--the modern benchmark for me for externalizing everything inferabe through talk--it was just too talky for me to really enjoy. Pitt is a good enough actor, and the visuals and story are good if derivative enough, that there's no need for constant VO, but there it is.

Haunt is nothing you haven't seen before a dozen times, but it's like a good version of last year's(?) Hell Fest or this year's Escape Room. My wife and I saw this with an apparently rare showing of the 1958 McQueen version of The Blob. I'm sure this was better at the drive-in, but you could at least see the glimmerings of what McQueen was able to do on-screen.

More
06 Oct 2019 22:09 - 06 Oct 2019 22:09 #302241 by Shellhead
Like many people, I enjoy watching horror movies at this time of year. Several of my all-time favorite movies are horror movies, but I can be snobby about the genre and there are plenty of bad horror movies by an reasonable standard. Tonight, I enjoyed watching an anthology of short horror movies called Tales of Halloween. Each of the ten shorts takes place on Halloween, and features a different director and cast. The variety is impressive, with stories ranging from scary to darkly humorous to bold and strange. Each segment is paced nicely, and none of them overstay their welcome. The final bit pulls them all together, but it's the only disappointing part. The director of the last one is Neil Marshall, who has done exactly two good movies and a few bad ones, including the failed Hellboy reboot.
Last edit: 06 Oct 2019 22:09 by Shellhead.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SebastianBludd

More
07 Oct 2019 04:58 #302242 by Turek
Brad Pitt: Daddy Issues: The Voiceover was incredibly stupid, whole story and all action sequences made no sense at all.
Positives: interesting future setting, nice sound, great visuals and acting was ok/good.

More
07 Oct 2019 08:46 #302248 by charlest
I think I'm the only person who enjoyed the voice overs. Probably because it reminded me of Willard.

More
07 Oct 2019 22:25 #302263 by Jackwraith
The following user(s) said Thank You: Turek, SebastianBludd

More
09 Oct 2019 00:27 #302291 by Jackwraith
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, mezike, Nodens

More
09 Oct 2019 08:45 #302293 by the_jake_1973
My wife and I saw Hereditary on Netflix. It was interesting in a 'what the hell' kind of way. Toni Colette was fantastically raw and manic.

More
11 Oct 2019 12:03 #302374 by mezike

Jackwraith wrote: Saw Joker. Eh.

dichotomouspurity.blogspot.com/2019/10/t...-kind-of-misses.html

Thank you for this. It's great to read someone critiquing this moving on it's own merits instead of lazily comparing it to super-hero movies.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Jackwraith

More
11 Oct 2019 12:22 #302378 by WadeMonnig
Watched Shaft last night and it was funny as hell. I laughed during this more than any comedy in recent memory.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.600 seconds