October 09, 2023
2518 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2718 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
09 Nov 2021 19:57 #327828 by Erik Twice
I've never been a Miyazaki fan. The man's chronic sentimentalism is too strong for me to handle and I've actively disliked many of his films. But I've now seen both My Neighbour Totoro and Näusicaa from the Valley of the Wind and they were both great.

It seems to me the man became less nuanced and much more forceful as time went on. He got more sentimental, more opinated and much more invested in its feminist and ecological themes at the cost of everything else. And yet, Naussica was the first film I've seen of his where the planes felt like a natural part of the world instead of a fetish he indulges in on every film.

Something I loved about both of these films is how they could have very easily gone down a predictable path yet didn't. For example, we have a steel Empress in Naussica with an older man acting as her second-in-hand. Yet, the man doesn't have the traditional Dragon personality, he actually acts more like a swordsman. Similarly, when the family moves to their new house in Totoro, it seems the porch is going to crumble, but they put the pillar together and it doesn't. It seems small but they are huge details.

I'll probaly watch Laputa next. Frankly, I liked Nausicaa a lot and I might read the manga, even.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, jason10mm, hotseatgames, sornars

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Nov 2021 23:13 #327834 by jason10mm
Nausicaa is pretty damned good, especially now that we get the full version here instead of that "Warriors of the Wind" nonsense we had as kids. The manga is richer in every way, try to get the biggest print you can to enjoy all that detail.

I like Princess Mononoke quite a lot as well, I'd definitely recommend that one if you haven't seen it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Erik Twice

More
11 Nov 2021 11:27 #327869 by Erik Twice
Thanks for the recommendation Jason. I don't know what releases the manga has or if it's available online.

I watched a bit of Princess Mononoke once but I didn't like it. I saw it as overly sentimental and I disliked the 3D-supported animation. There's something ugly about that style that I don't like. The waves in Ponyo and much of Moving Castle were like that. Still, I should give it a second chance.

That reminds me: After decades without an official release, I saw the Tex Avery shorts have been released on blu-ray. People complain about digital destruction in a few shorts and the lack of extras (The Looney Tunes DVDs had a massive amount of commentary tracks and documentaries) but it's Tex Avery and hopefully in good quality.

Only issue is that it seems it's an American Blu-ray only release. But I really want it.

More
11 Nov 2021 11:35 #327870 by Jexik
Saw Love Hard on Netflix. I’d say it’s an above average rom com with an interesting premise and solid cast. I had enjoyed Jimmy O. Yang’s stand-up before, so no arm-twisting was required after I watched the trailers.

More
11 Nov 2021 11:43 #327871 by ChristopherMD
Nausicaa is the best of the early Miyazaki movies and arguably his best movie. Totoro, Kiki's, and Cagliostro are also really good. I like Mononoke and Spirited Away too but I feel they're in a different artistic period from his earlier stuff.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Erik Twice, Nodens

More
11 Nov 2021 11:50 - 11 Nov 2021 11:50 #327872 by Jexik
I like Kiki’s Delivery Service too. Saw The Secret Life of Arrietty recently too and enjoyed that.
Last edit: 11 Nov 2021 11:50 by Jexik.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nodens

More
11 Nov 2021 12:03 #327873 by Shellhead
Kiki's Delivery Service is great, but Erik might find it excessively sentimental.

More
11 Nov 2021 12:03 #327874 by Nodens
Kiki's Delivery Service was such a pleasant surprise.

More
11 Nov 2021 14:33 #327878 by DarthJoJo
What Miyazaki would you recommend for pre-school or kindergarten-age kids, preferably very light on horror elements?

More
11 Nov 2021 14:48 #327881 by Shellhead

DarthJoJo wrote: What Miyazaki would you recommend for pre-school or kindergarten-age kids, preferably very light on horror elements?

My Neighbor Totoro and Kiki's Delivery Service.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, ChristopherMD, Nodens, DarthJoJo

More
11 Nov 2021 14:57 #327882 by Shellhead
The Cat Returns would also be fine for young children. It isn't a Miyazaki work, but it is from Studio Ghibli.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DarthJoJo

More
11 Nov 2021 21:37 #327891 by jason10mm
Kate on Netflix. Its basically "John wick with a chick" mixed with the KITE anime minus all the graphic rape and sex. MEW does a fine job and with her lean physique is a startling doppelganger for Ellen Ripley should anyone want to reboot Alien.

Like all these type films the plot is just words between murder sprees. But the action is varied and different enough (cappuccino maker as a weapon was new to me) to keep it moving and sta interesting.

The girl in this, young woman maybe, walks that line between annoying brat and sympathetic macguffin well enough.

This flick is VERY Japanese, or at least a good westerners vision of Japanese Yakusa. Curious if any of it rings true.

One of the more re-watchable Netflix actioners for sure, though that is a pretty low bar TBH.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kmann

More
11 Nov 2021 23:06 #327893 by jay718

Shellhead wrote:

DarthJoJo wrote: What Miyazaki would you recommend for pre-school or kindergarten-age kids, preferably very light on horror elements?

My Neighbor Totoro and Kiki's Delivery Service.

Ponyo fits this bill as well.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DarthJoJo

More
13 Nov 2021 08:47 #327918 by ChristopherMD
Lord of the Rings trilogy - I did some comparisons last night between the new remastered video releases and the old ones. It's like night and day difference. They removed all the color tinting so everything looks natural. Gandalf's actually wearing grey not green-grey. The grass in the Shire old version looks like dark green seagrass compared to the remastereds NZ-green grass. They did digitally clean the image a little but it didn't take away any fine detail. Not sure if these are streaming yet but I'm sure they will be.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Msample, sornars

More
13 Nov 2021 09:46 - 13 Nov 2021 17:35 #327919 by Cranberries
I was testing out new speakers for the TV and noticed that at some point I had actually bought (a long time ago) a digital copy of Fellowship of the Rings on Youtube. I remember standing in line in Portland with my wife to watch the original at the mall in NE.

Last night we went to see The French Dispatch. Two hours of famous cameos and wry chuckles. Probably not worth $11, but a good movie to watch on bargain day. We didn't hate it, but the following phrases emerged when we discussed it afterwards:
  • Not bad
    self-indulgent
    an homage to a world that exists only in Wes Andersen's head
    Why would you create a loving filter to the New Yorker set in an imaginary French town?
    A good movie to see with friends in a theater that demands your attention

Of course, the New Yorker loved it:

“The French Dispatch” is perhaps Anderson’s best film to date. It is certainly his most accomplished. And, for all its whimsical humor, it is an action film, a great one, although Anderson’s way of displaying action is unlike that of any other filmmaker. His movies often rest upon an apparent paradox between the refinement of his methods and the violence of his subject matter. In “The French Dispatch,” it is all the more central, given his literary focus: the title is also the name of a fictitious magazine that’s explicitly modelled on The New Yorker and some of its classic journalistic stars. Anderson sends writers out in search of stories, and what they find turns out to be a world of trouble, a world in which aesthetics and power are inseparable, with all the moral complications and ambivalences that this intersection entails.

www.newyorker.com/culture/the-front-row/...st-freewheeling-film

Afterwards while walking to our cars my buddy asked if he should read all four Dune novels and I told him that's a question for a longer walk, and thought of some of the evisceratory comments on this site.
Last edit: 13 Nov 2021 17:35 by Cranberries. Reason: Added New Yorker quote
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, DarthJoJo

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.598 seconds