October 09, 2023
2514 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2713 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What board games are you BUYING?

More
07 May 2022 13:27 #332881 by dysjunct
So what was your gateway game to TTR? ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Gary Sax, birdman37, sornars, DarthJoJo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 May 2022 18:07 - 07 May 2022 18:09 #332885 by southernman
Wait until you get to the Rest home :whistle:

ubarose wrote: I just bought walked past Ticket to Ride (USA). LOL. I’ve never owned it, because everyone else did. I got to missing it recently, what with not being able to play with all those other folks over the last couple of years. Saw it for 40% off, and figured what the heck, why not own a copy myself.

Last edit: 07 May 2022 18:09 by southernman.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
07 May 2022 19:30 - 07 May 2022 19:32 #332887 by ubarose

southernman wrote: Wait until you get to the Rest home :whistle:

ubarose wrote: I just bought walked past Ticket to Ride (USA). LOL. I’ve never owned it, because everyone else did. I got to missing it recently, what with not being able to play with all those other folks over the last couple of years. Saw it for 40% off, and figured what the heck, why not own a copy myself.

This isn’t my first Ticket to Ride. I already own TtR Europe and another map, and some swag Zoe won in a TtR tournament. But USA is the best version - simple, straightforward, and tight enough to play “mean” if that’s your style.

A little over 15 years ago, when my neighbor Francie and I used to play board games together with our kids a few afternoons a week, she bought USA and I bought Europe. Europe was better for playing with kids, because the stations make it almost impossible to block someone. But I’m not playing with kids anymore (Zoe is 23) so now we can play the version that makes people swear.

I’m guessing Zoe will likely take at least one of the TtR games with her when she eventually moves out.
Last edit: 07 May 2022 19:32 by ubarose.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, Gary Sax, lj1983, mezike, sornars, WadeMonnig

More
07 May 2022 21:16 #332891 by Cranberries

ubarose wrote: But I’m not playing with kids anymore (Zoe is 23) so now we can play the version that makes people swear.

I’m guessing Zoe will likely take at least one of the TtR games with her when she eventually moves out.

I love everything about this, the passing of the torch, your kids enjoying (some) of your hobbies, and our kids growing into games over a long period of time. Some of my kids have a stronger connection to some of my board games than they do to my religion.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, dysjunct, mezike, sornars, Gregarius, WadeMonnig, n815e

More
07 May 2022 22:34 #332895 by WadeMonnig

Cranberries wrote:

ubarose wrote: But I’m not playing with kids anymore (Zoe is 23) so now we can play the version that makes people swear.

I love everything about this, the passing of the torch, your kids enjoying (some) of your hobbies, and our kids growing into games over a long period of time. Some of my kids have a stronger connection to some of my board games than they do to my religion.

When my youngest son requests to take Dune: Imperium, I will tell him "No, you have to come over and play it with me. " LOL
One of the wildest parts of my kids going to college is them being amazed that other kids don't know TTR or King of Tokyo or other gateway games. They assumed everyone played board games with thier parents.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Cranberries, Gregarius, n815e

More
07 May 2022 23:56 - 07 May 2022 23:58 #332897 by ubarose
When they were really little, Zoe and Francie’s daughter would play as a team. Their hands were too small to hold all the cards, so they would lay them all out under the table, and confer with each other there, hidden by the table cloth. On their turn, one of them would pop up to take their turn.

Once, when we went to reshuffle the train cards, the discard pile seemed unreasonably small. I peeked under the table, and they had, like half the deck under there all spread out. No wonder none of us adults could get the cards we needed to claim a route. So it turns out that hoarding all the cards can be a viable strategy.

When we crack open this new copy, I will not miss the opportunity to ask her if we need to put the tablecloth on the table, and if she would like a cushion for the floor.
Last edit: 07 May 2022 23:58 by ubarose.

More
08 May 2022 00:08 #332898 by WadeMonnig
My neice always called TTR the "card flipper" game, because when she was little, she was our designated person to refill the draw area. Of course, we bought her TTR First Journey when she was of age....which she was disappointed with because you dont flip out cards, you just draw from the deck.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, DarthJoJo, n815e

More
08 May 2022 15:18 - 08 May 2022 15:19 #332915 by southernman

southernman wrote: In the last month I've grabbed 2nd hand copies of Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: The Thames Murders & Other Cases, to go with its Jack the Ripper sibling for someday in the future when I have spare time to sit down and play detective games, and Dungeons & Dragons Wrath of Ashardalon for some shorter (in comparison to many of my games) dungeon crawl fun (already played three scenarios one afternoon).
But I need to start selling off :pinch: to prepare for the tsunami of backlogged KSers that are arriving (finally) this year, Machina Arcana 3e arrived today and a lot more to come.

FFS Tom :angry: :huh: ... I saw a new copy of Tales from the Loop at a good price and grabbed it ... oh well, plenty of games to play next time I lose my job or when I decide to work less (or not at all), I'll just pretend I was out for a few drinks and a meal instead.
Last edit: 08 May 2022 15:19 by southernman.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
26 Aug 2022 00:01 #335243 by Disgustipater
I picked up Hannibal: Rome v Carthage via a BGG local auction. I tossed out the $20 minimum bid and promptly forgot about it for the last month and a half until I was notified I won. It is the most recent edition and I assumed it came with the Generals figures but I guess that was a KS thing or something, so just standees for me. No big deal.

Now I just need to stop buying 2p wargames (I still haven't played my 3-year old copy of Sekigahara) until I actually find someone to play them with.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Cranberries, Sagrilarus, Msample, lj1983, Gregarius, n815e

More
27 Aug 2022 14:11 #335259 by Cranberries

Disgustipater wrote: I picked up Hannibal: Rome v Carthage via a BGG local auction. I tossed out the $20 minimum bid and promptly forgot about it for the last month and a half until I was notified I won.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, ChristopherMD, Sagrilarus, n815e

More
20 Sep 2022 10:34 #335664 by Rliyen
Went to Ollie's near my mother's house to get some items and to see what they had in the game aisle. I was not disappointed. They had Xenoshyft: Dreadmire and Shark Island: a game with blackjack (kinda)! And hookers! In fact, forget the hookers.

Since I already had Dreadmire, I took a picture of it and sent it to my friend, Nathan. With the following: Did you want your variation of punch yourself in the nuts? $20. He laughed and said sure.

More
20 Sep 2022 10:40 #335665 by Shellhead
I bought Sea Evil a couple of weeks ago, in hopes of playing it near Halloween. It's the same combat system as Psycho Raiders, plus some new and moderately complex rules for ship movement at sea. Now I am working on a 2 disc mix of sea shanties to play during the game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, Cranberries, jason10mm, hotseatgames, Dive-Dive-Dive!

More
21 Sep 2022 08:25 #335681 by stormseeker75
I recommend a lovely little group called Captains of the Head if you want your sea shanties of the bawdy variety.

More
07 Oct 2022 21:02 #336027 by Ah_Pook
Used book store had Pathfinder Adventure Card Game Skull & Shackles for $7, most of the cards still in shrink and at least 1 adventure pack in the box. So that seemed like a thing I should buy. I've always wanted to try the PACG.

More
07 Oct 2022 22:44 #336031 by Gary Sax
It's great proof of concept for that sort of coop, it just didn't have quite enough there there. Definitely worth a shot for that kind of money.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.405 seconds