October 09, 2023
2548 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2744 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What VIDEO GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
22 Nov 2018 01:19 #286671 by Sevej
Overwatch is especially frustrating because of the hard counters and the coordination it requires. Playing alone is a big no no. Playing casual just makes me frustrated.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, Black Barney, Frohike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Nov 2018 03:01 #286675 by jeb
If you suck, OVERWATCH is still really fun. It is so pretty and the conceit is amazing. I can't not recommend it. You are a super-hero on a team of super-heroes. I think his beef that hard-counters are a problem is frankly weak. The difference maker for OW is that you can swap characters, mid-game, with no "penalty" barring Ult charge, which doesn't matter a lot if you are getting rolled by a hard-counter. It's the coolest thing about the game. If anything, I have more "tilty" games when my teammates don't recognize this situation and "main" some character that is getting fucking rollllllled again and again. Just walking into Bastion bullets or getting hooked over and over without changing things up.

I feel like the Pro players want the game to be something other than what it is and get disappointed when it fails to be this other thing.

More
22 Nov 2018 08:42 #286677 by Black Barney
Frohike, for sure RDR2 Online will be fun. Those guys do a great job at this kind of stuff. I'm going to try and 100% the single player before jumping into that tho so it'll be a while.

For your next multiplayer, maybe Black Ops IV? :) I'm having fun with it. They just released Nuketown as a map again. Lots of action. You can just post up with a Titan LMG and spray away!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
22 Nov 2018 19:53 - 22 Nov 2018 19:56 #286708 by Sevej
I think the last multiplayer shooter that fun when I suck is still TF2. Sure, it's not as pretty, but you're not 1 of 6. Being 1 of 6 makes you pretty important in any game. You pick something, something's expected from you. You can hardly goof around. I even rarely change characters mid-game, because of how un-characterful it is for me. But it's a core experience in Overwatch. In TF2, I change characters because I'm bored of what I play. In Overwatch, I change characters because my enemy or my team make me do it. That's just... too serious for me. When I suck at using super power, a world filled with super heroes don't change it at all. It's almost like Euro y'know? The most skilled team should always steamroll the random dudes. Nice ideal, but not fun for me.

And playing as a single against team of 5 or 6 in a game _always_ sucks.
Last edit: 22 Nov 2018 19:56 by Sevej.

More
23 Nov 2018 13:58 #286728 by SaMoKo
Only Monster Hunter exists to me as a multiplayer game. Best co-op I’ve ever played, and it’s challenging enough to be interesting. Very skill driven, and can also be enjoyed solo.

I just don’t do shooters anymore

More
23 Nov 2018 14:21 #286729 by WadeMonnig

SaMoKo wrote: Only Monster Hunter exists to me as a multiplayer game. Best co-op I’ve ever played, and it’s challenging enough to be interesting.

I really dug Gears of War 3 Horde Mode on Insane with modifiers (Vampire specifically) back in the day. We had a core team of 6 or 7 who would do high score runs depending who all showed up. It was a total blast, probably my favorite co=op. My other favorite was Final Fantasy XI, we had a group doing exp runs that was so much fun. Months and months of playing with the same core players but switching classes and learning new gigs. Loved my Ranger and my Fighter. DD while balancing hate was a great time. I loved finding alternate EXP areas that no one would want to try and pulling in insane exp.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
23 Nov 2018 23:52 #286746 by san il defanso
I watched a great YouTube documentary on The Secret of Monkey Island. Since I had never played any of those games before (or indeed most of the LucasArts adventure games) I grabbed it along with the first sequel on the GOG Black Friday sale. I've been playing it with my kids and it's been really fun to try such a classic for the first time.

More
24 Nov 2018 01:08 #286747 by hotseatgames
I bought Warhammer 40k Mechanicus, which is essentially XCOM with Skitarii. I’ve only done the tutorial so I can’t comment much, but it’s cool so far.

More
24 Nov 2018 12:01 #286755 by Rliyen
For me, I've just been playing single player games. Organ Trail: The Director's Cut, Skyshine's Bedlam Redux, and a lot of Necropolis: Brutal Edition.

I've also been mindlessly slaughtering zombies in Nation Red, and trying to see if I can unlock more achievements.

And just yesterday, I got back into playing The Ship. The original, not that shitty remaster. I have not played that game in so long, I forgot how fun it was. It was especially fun being a passenger, following the leader around, and trying to get in the way of their kills. But after a while I got bored and just started wandering around like a vulture. Someone would kill someone, and then I'd pick up the wallet and bank the money. Then, I'd go back and loot the body of all non weaponry related items (passengers can't take weapons). Finally, I bit the bullet and started playing. Whooo boy. I need to up my killing skills because I was RUSTY! I'm probably going to play it some more today.

More
26 Nov 2018 16:23 #286899 by hotseatgames
I've completed my first Tomb in 40k Mechanicus. A Tomb is basically a small self-contained dungeon crawl set on a Necron world. This game is firing on all cylinders so far. You start with 2 Tech Priests and a batch of minions that basically exist to draw fire. You can get missions from various leaders, and they each have their own goals. One just wants knowledge by any means necessary. Another is adamant about destroying all traces of the Necron abomination.

You earn blackstone which you can then spend to upgrade your Skitarii. You find tech in the Tombs, bolt it onto your priests, and assign them skills from 6 different disciplines.

In the Tombs, you see a floor plan that basically looks like a hologram, and you choose which paths to take. The longer you are in the Tomb, the more Necrons will come your way. You can have small fights in a chamber, or you might find Necron tech to research, destroy, etc. You get choices much like a choose your own adventure.

I'm still very early in, but so far I am really enjoying it and it is scratching the itch left from not buying Blackstone Fortress.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
26 Nov 2018 18:24 #286908 by Michael Barnes
Ugh, wish that would come to PS4 or Switch...really cool that it’s AdMech/Necrons.

I have new video game fever since it is late November (always happens) and SSB is still two weeks away so I picked up God of War for $20.

I love the gameplay and visuals of the previous titles, the angry angsty Kratos crap and juvenile sexcapades not so much. I would have gone for Nier; Automata but it did t hit that magic $20 price point.

So far, it is pretty good. There is a lot of the watching-not-playing walk and talks and it has that whole “bring a kid along” thing that I guess RE4 really kind of started...but the gameplay is good, and the visuals are good so I got what I expected on those fronts. I like the Norse setting better, and I really like that this is a more mature, less Slipknot-y approach on the whole.

There are some not-too-taxing puzzles and a little exploration (hint- go the way the kid doesn’t go), lots of upgrade potential, pretty cool monsters...worth $20 no doubt.

Visually, I kind of expected more. There have been two completely eye-popping scenes (a giant turtle and Ourourborous), but so far it looks mostly like how all expensively produced PS4 games look.

I’ll plow through and presumably kill Odin at some point before SSB drops and dominates for the rest of the year.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
26 Nov 2018 19:16 #286913 by boothwah
OVERWATCH

Climbed back into gold this weekend. Played like 40ish games between Friday/Sat/Sun - 300 sr climb gold ranking - went 16-4 with Brig over that stretch, and played some Ana, Moira, Lucio and one match that I must have been throwing on Zen.

Brig is not busted! Why did I have such a nutty win rate with her? Because at mid silver/gold on console, Genji and Tracer don't switch. Against decent comps, I really had to work, because all of her value shifts from backline bully and flanker shutdown to the value of coordinated stuns in team fights...that said, I'm still holding down right trigger for long periods of time.

Some of my favorite Overwatch quotes from this weekend :

"Hammer D...oof...."
"Ryūjin no ken....oof.."
"Géill do mo..oof.."
etc.

I think she is in a good place still even after the nerfs hit.

More
26 Nov 2018 19:39 #286915 by hotseatgames

Michael Barnes wrote: Ugh, wish that would come to PS4 or Switch...really cool that it’s AdMech/Necrons.

It would make a killer Switch game. It's funny that it's so amazing, mainly due to being a 40k game that is actually good.

More
26 Nov 2018 20:10 #286918 by jeb
People that don't switch make me crazy. "Tracer, we're getting rolled out here, just do ANYTHING else. Just Junkrat and shoot randomly. Or, better, shoot their Brigitte so hard that THEY switch and then go back to Tracer."

I am playing DIMOTHERABFUCKINGLO 3 again. It's been years. Seasonal heroes! I love this! I am a Monk that teleports into huge crowds, marks a couple of dudes, tries to survive a few seconds, and then watch them all explode into coins and new epaulets.

More
26 Nov 2018 21:24 - 27 Nov 2018 04:59 #286921 by Frohike
Re: Overwatch & switching. Other than people just generally being saddled with tunnel vision & no sit awareness, I think the game offers dumb little Pavlovian incentives/rewards that tend to keep people on the same character: the ult meter, and those shoutout cards at the end of the match. People who don’t care about these & know when an ult is worth trashing are often the best players in the match... who sometimes get next to no recognition at the end of it. Master of all trades, endorsements for none. I personally keep an eye out for these and throw a Shot Caller their way, but most of the time they just walk away watching someone else's ult & shoutout rosters that don't include them (but that Tracer that stuck it out for 20 kills gets a ballot entry).
Last edit: 27 Nov 2018 04:59 by Frohike.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.505 seconds