October 09, 2023
2548 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2744 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What VIDEO GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
20 Dec 2018 22:55 #288585 by hotseatgames
Back into PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds now that the latest map, Vikendi, launched. It's a snow map, and is half-way between the size of Sanhok and Erangel / Miramar.

It is now my second favorite map behind Erangel. You get enough breathing room to loot but not too much. Locations are varied (I have yet to see many places). Driving snowmobiles is a lot of fun. Looting itself can be tricky since supplies tend to be limited, but you can find level 3 helmets on the ground, which is nice.

Disgustipater, you should definitely play with Koby and me!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Dec 2018 11:01 #288599 by jeb
There's a sale on for at least two great games on the Switch—I picked them both up. SINE MORA is a sidescrolling shmups, gorgeous, currently 70% off for $8. And my beloved DIABLO 3, $40, had to buy it (again). Now my kids can do OVERWATCH on the PS4 while I look for slightly better shinguards on the Switch.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
21 Dec 2018 16:41 #288625 by Black Barney
Jeb, if we fast forward several decades and you're on your death bed... if i show you that last line you posted, i feel confident you will experience regret.

Still hilarious though. Please dont show me video game stats when i'm on my death bed. I probably won't mind the thousands of hours spent playing while i was alone, but i'm sure i'll regret the hours spent playing when my girl was playing in the other room. At least we have Overcooked together now. It can only grow from this.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
21 Dec 2018 19:35 #288634 by SaMoKo
Shot a bird from a train in RDR2 to get a Sharpshooter challenge. This caused a bunch of people to enter a suicidal frenzy like PETA fanatics, and the ensuing lynch mob resulted in hundreds of bodies. I now have a bounty in most provinces so high I will never repay it. I don’t think it’s possible to progress with the game story :(

This is a bad game lol. Rockstar has typically been one of the most incompetent high budget developers, and they somehow seem to be getting worse.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
21 Dec 2018 19:41 #288637 by Black Barney
They should never have tried taking on RPG elements in RDR2. GTA IV and V are two of the best video games ive ever played and the first RDR was amazing. I still havent gone back to RDR2 and that never happens to me with Rockstar usually

More
21 Dec 2018 20:54 #288640 by san il defanso
I've been on a pretty long journey to find a proper RPG that really works for me, and it has for the most part been unsuccessful. I started with Baldur's Gate, which was interesting but more punishing than I wanted to deal with. The save-spamming got old really fast. I do have the sequel as well, and I've heard it's the better game anyway. I might try that out at a later point.

Anyway, I realized that I had both Knights of the Old Republic games on Steam from previous bundles, and I thought I'd take my hand at the first one. I don't know if it's just the Star Wars setting or the somewhat easier nature, or the sops to console control schemes that I find more intuitive. But the game is really working for me. I find myself actively wanting to keep playing, rather than muscling through stuff I'm really not interested while I wait for it to get good. The little annoyances that have hassled me with CRPGs are largely absent from this, and I feel really invested in the characters too. This is not a common thing for me and video games.

Of course, I'm just like six hours in, and still on the first planet. That said, I am excited to keep pushing forward and discovering more stuff. I think it might be the RPG I've always been looking for.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jhuntin1, ChristopherMD

More
21 Dec 2018 21:39 #288642 by SaMoKo
Being liberated from the need to care about anything helps in RDR2. Anything that doesn’t allow me to rob it dies. I’m not sure these bounties will ever go away so I just roll with it.

The age of the bird rampage has begun.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
21 Dec 2018 22:54 #288645 by Gary Sax
BG2 is a big improvement, san. I get that you just got done with 1 but if you ever do have the heart to go back I think you'll find it a much improved game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, SaMoKo

More
21 Dec 2018 22:59 #288647 by san il defanso

Gary Sax wrote: BG2 is a big improvement, san. I get that you just got done with 1 but if you ever do have the heart to go back I think you'll find it a much improved game.

I think I will eventually. I liked the interface and the feel of the game, but the difficulty was just infuriating. Starting at a higher level would go a long way toward making it more enjoyable.

More
21 Dec 2018 23:01 #288649 by ChristopherMD
BG2 was the first rpg that felt like a sandbox to me. BG1 is good and was great at its time. I haven't played BG 1.5 that came out last year. BG2 is a classic.

More
22 Dec 2018 21:21 #288681 by jeb
I'm not worried, Barney. Video games are the only thing we don't do together. And even them we do sometimes given my utter domination in MARIO PARTY. On that front, MARIO PARTY, JACKBOX, and OVERCOOKED are all solid titles for couch co-op shenanigans with a crowd of 4+.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
22 Dec 2018 22:38 #288683 by SaMoKo
My RDR2 character has gone feral. Gone is the cowboy clothing; he is now draped in fresh skins of newly extinct creatures and a big caveman hat. His mutton chops are full and strong, and his handlebar moustache completes the image of a civil war general gone native.

Pro Tip: Shooting legendary animals in the face with dynamite arrows drops them FAST! They are also good for exploding the conductor of a train so you can drive it to get that goddamn bird-from-train challenge. Just be sure to knife or tomahawk all passengers in the face so they don’t witness your bird killing and call in US Marshalls. Then drive your murder train somewhere remote and wear a mask because spying eyes are EVERYWHERE.

TLDR; RDR2 is the story of America’s first mass killing. It was done to hunt birds in peace.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, Colorcrayons, Gregarius, Hadik

More
23 Dec 2018 09:13 #288701 by LilRed
Since of Heroes of the Storm more or less got euthanized, I have a lot of time on my hand to play other games. Man, those Moba's take up a lot of time.

Currently playing Sunset Overdrive that recently got released on the PC, and I'm having a blast. It's basicly a shoot and fetch quest but the way you transverse this sandbox is so well put together, grinding, bouncing and dashing. The humour and 4th wall breaks are fun. The humour is laid on a little thick for my taste but the core gameplay is great. I can't recall this game getting too hot reviews when it came out for the xbox but I would rate it highly on this years PC games.

More
23 Dec 2018 09:30 #288702 by Josh Look
The first RDR is the exact moment where I became acutely aware of the concept that most AAA games that are longer than 12 hours do not value my time. I don’t want to spend 25% of the playtime traveling from point A to point B. Those little side events they sprinkle throughout that distance that have no effect on anything and aren’t all that fun that are there only to give people that don’t know any better a false sense of value? Yeah, those can fuck off. That game, before indie games really took off and publishers started to be influenced by them, caused me to fall out of love with video games for a good long while. RDR2 was not going to fool me to begin with, but I have been paying attention to it and I won’t lie, I’ve taken some petty satisfaction in all its problems.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lj1983, Frohike, Gregarius

More
23 Dec 2018 13:01 #288713 by DarthJoJo
Maybe avoid Final Fantasy VII. And VIII. And IX. And VI.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Josh Look

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.523 seconds