January 04, 2021
1398 0

Play Matt: Paleo Review

Board Game Reviews
O
oliverkinne
January 01, 2021
544 0
Bugs Update: Recent Topics & Main Menu (11 Dec 2020)

Main Menu drop down bug has been fixed. You may need to clear your cache to pick up the new code.
Recent Topics paging bug requires a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What VIDEO GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
13 Jan 2021 15:09 #318002 by Ah_Pook
The game Asura's Wrath was all QTEs and it was pretty awesome, generally I agree though.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jan 2021 15:41 #318003 by hotseatgames
The only QTEs I can stand are in Man of Medan and Little Hope. At least failing them there leads to further amusement.

More
15 Jan 2021 21:41 #318068 by san il defanso
It's only taken 8 hours with Crusader Kings III for me to realize that it's a better pure roleplaying experience than literally any RPG video game I've ever played.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Gary Sax, sornars, Ah_Pook

More
16 Jan 2021 00:23 - 16 Jan 2021 00:24 #318070 by Gary Sax
Definitely! I think I told you in that thread elsewhere to never ever quit a character/lineage when something goes wrong, and avoid any attempt to min-max. The game has a quality where once *you* start to act and take risks, it starts off an entire snowball of events. If you never act, much less will happen, and you'll just sit around gaining some gold and upgrading territory which is intentionally not made especially interesting in CKIII.

Paradox's other games are more focused on development and such.
Last edit: 16 Jan 2021 00:24 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: san il defanso, sornars

More
17 Jan 2021 04:23 #318093 by san il defanso
It definitely rewards the choices you make, and the open-ended self-driven quality makes it a far more personalized roleplaying experience than I thought possible. It all feels very organic.

Another thing I realized I appreciated was the abstracted nature of combat. It's so much less trouble than personally controlling every unit like you would in something like Civ. I don't mind going to war at all in CK3, because for all its complexity it's not really a game full of busy work.

Speaking of Civ and of busy work, I have been pretty burnt out on Civ VI for a long time, but I also felt like playing some kind of Civ. So I decided to reinstall Civilization V after a few years with its sequel, and it's been very nice to get back into it. I'm willing to concede that VI is the "better-designed" game, in the sense that its mechanics seem very well considered, but it takes a lot more steps to accomplish pretty much anything. So the relative simplicity of V has been refreshing for me. The biggest advantage that VI presents, better combat, is sort of negated by the fact that I tend to be a Civ pacifict in the first place.

So I think after all these years I would still land on Civ V being the best in the series. While VI has plenty to recommend it, I think it's at that "too many notes" stage for me right now.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames, sornars, Ah_Pook

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.265 seconds