October 09, 2023
2519 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2721 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching?

More
23 Aug 2018 16:33 #280259 by charlest
I use SlingTV for sports and very happy with it. Pay month to month and price never changes.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Aug 2018 17:06 #280260 by Shellhead

DarthJoJo wrote:

Shellhead wrote:

san il defanso wrote: Rewatching Breaking Bad with my wife, who has never seen it before. Interesting to revisit the show five years after the finale. A lot of the narrative surrounding the show at the time, especially surrounding Skyler, seems to offer a glimpse into toxic fandom toward female characters. Whatever the cultural context, it's still a very well-crafted show, and so tense and entertaining. They did something that I appreciate, where they were very judicious about introducing new elements into the show. There is a great economy of characters and situations, so they were able to feel like everything got squared away narratively.

The concept of Breaking Bad is great, and the show impressed me at times. But I grew to resent all the scenes with his family. They were important for character motivation, but often really annoying.

I strongly disliked the re-framing of Walter's motivation from providing for his family to just being bad for the sake of being bad, because that's stupid. Almost nobody ever thinks of himself as a bad person, because it's easier to live with rationalization for bad behavior. I'm glad that I watched Breaking Bad once, but I wouldn't enjoy watching it again.

I never dug deep into the fandom, so I’m not aware of their specific complaints. For my part though, Skylar always came across as a nag and scold because she kept trying to get Walt to stop cooking and dealing. THAT’S ENTIRELY REASONABLE TO NOT WANT YOUR HUSBAND TO BE COOKING METH. But she was a character in a tv show, and we wanted to see Walt chuck fulminated mercury and order hits. We wanted him to live our fantasies, and she tried to make him live our life.

I disagree that Walt cooked to be bad. He cooked out of pride once the medical bills were covered. He was the best at it and got to be a DEA bogeyman. It made him feel big and assuaged his ego wounded at cashing out of Grey Technology(?).

From season 5, episode 15: "I did it for me. I liked it. I was good at it. And I was really -- I was alive." -- Walter White

More
23 Aug 2018 19:23 - 23 Aug 2018 21:25 #280267 by Gary Sax

charlest wrote: I use SlingTV for sports and very happy with it. Pay month to month and price never changes.

I just started using YouTube TV and it is very good. Superficially similar, but it is MILES ahead of PlayStation Vue in terms of interface, DVR, multiple devices, and especially picture quality.
Last edit: 23 Aug 2018 21:25 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: charlest

More
23 Aug 2018 21:02 #280270 by SaMoKo
With a lack of Game of Thrones or anything catching my interest on Netflix, I mostly just watch baseball now.

More
23 Aug 2018 22:39 #280274 by Sagrilarus

SaMoKo wrote: With a lack of Game of Thrones or anything catching my interest on Netflix, I mostly just watch baseball now.

I’m from Baltimore, that’s not an attractive option.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SaMoKo

More
23 Aug 2018 22:49 #280275 by WadeMonnig

ChristopherMD wrote: For live tv I bought one of these and get all the basic channels. Paid for itself years ago.

www.amazon.com/Mohu-Paper-thin-Reversibl...pop_d_yo_pop_d_pd_t2

I used to have those on every tv.Now I'm 50 miles from st. Louis proper. In a valley. In a earth home. Not so great lol

More
23 Aug 2018 22:55 #280276 by SaMoKo

Sagrilarus wrote:

SaMoKo wrote: With a lack of Game of Thrones or anything catching my interest on Netflix, I mostly just watch baseball now.

I’m from Baltimore, that’s not an attractive option.

Bless you for being the one team lower than the Blue Jays in the division of death. I’ve always had a soft spot for our fellow birds in the AL East. Mostly because fuck the Yankees, and visiting Baltimore fans are chill.

At least Machado had a return for your rebuild. Donaldson and Tulowitski are worth absolutely nothing to us or anyone lol

More
29 Aug 2018 10:49 #280612 by xthexlo
Just finished reading Laviathan Wakes and decided to check out The Expanse. I gotta say, I think it is the worst casting that I have ever seen in my life.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, Frohike

More
29 Aug 2018 10:54 #280613 by Black Barney
lol, last night I watched some Next Gen and had to sit through a Geordi Laforge love story and watch Troi try to be a covert Romulan operative. I don't think I can blame the casting here as much as the script writers thinking these are good arcs for these characters. Yikes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: xthexlo

More
29 Aug 2018 12:46 #280631 by Cranberries

WadeMonnig wrote:

ChristopherMD wrote: For live tv I bought one of these and get all the basic channels. Paid for itself years ago.

www.amazon.com/Mohu-Paper-thin-Reversibl...pop_d_yo_pop_d_pd_t2

I used to have those on every tv.Now I'm 50 miles from st. Louis proper. In a valley. In a earth home. Not so great lol

Earth home?

More
29 Aug 2018 12:48 #280632 by ChristopherMD
I was thinking more like this;

More
29 Aug 2018 12:52 #280633 by Jexik
Watched the 10 episodes of Disenchantment, Matt Groening's medieval/fantasy Netflix show. We thought it was pretty good and watched it in a short period of time. It's not as good as the best Futurama, but there were some interesting choices, like the Elves being more like Buddy the Elf than Legolas. It's also kind of weird to see him make a show that has an ongoing plot instead of feeling more sitcom-y.

More
29 Aug 2018 14:32 #280648 by RobertB
xthexlo wrote:

Just finished reading Laviathan Wakes and decided to check out The Expanse. I gotta say, I think it is the worst casting that I have ever seen in my life.

We've kicked this around before, but I'm always up to talk about it again. :) I thought most of the casting ranged from serviceable to good. Alex was spot on. I didn't like Amos at first, but he grows on you. Unfortunately, the choice of whoever (not going to look it up) is playing Holden is completely miscast. They need to take a page from soap operas. (voiceover) "The role of Jim Holden will now be played by someone who doesn't suck."

More
29 Aug 2018 15:28 - 29 Aug 2018 15:29 #280655 by DarthJoJo
Lasted six minutes of Million Pound Lunch on Netflix. It’s Shark Tank but for British restaurants and with a three-day pitch period rather than five minutes or whatever.

I know I’m late to the party on these investor shows but what? The protagonists are the people wealthy enough to make high-risk, high-reward investments with their money, not the scrappy entrepreneurs actually doing the work. I’m not saying the investment wouldn’t make a big difference or that these people couldn’t help the chefs be successful, but why are the investors the wise heroes? I was choking on the b-roll of people in expensive clothes looking serious and marking the business plans. I thought we were sick of people who can afford to make money with their money. Why is this even a genre in 2018?
Last edit: 29 Aug 2018 15:29 by DarthJoJo. Reason: Thought of a more concise opening line

More
29 Aug 2018 15:34 #280656 by Gary Sax
I think the casting on The Expanse TV is only bad if you've read the books. It's very far off from the books but I think it mostly works. In fact, I hate Holden in the books but I think his remake in the show is much more palatable.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.299 seconds