Clear Your Browser Cache (22 Apr 2019)

We had some upgrades yesterday. If you are having any issues with the site, or things look wonky, please clear your browser cache to pick up the changes.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching?

More
11 Apr 2019 10:13 #295331 by Sagrilarus
So it turns out that my wife and I had watched the first episode of OA when it first came out. About ten minutes in I thought to myself "I've seen this before" but didn't say anything, because my wife can usually do that ten seconds after the opening music ends. A few minutes after my realization she chimed in. But we watched it again since it's been a few years.

It's on the list now. Don't know if we'll go the distance with it, but we've caught up on our other stuff so it may get a good run.

Found and queued up Into the Badlands. Don't know if it's my wife's kind of thing but I may use it as my show to watch when she's out.
The following user(s) said Thank You: charlest, DarthJoJo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Apr 2019 01:57 #295498 by Jackwraith

More
15 Apr 2019 07:51 #295499 by hotseatgames
I enjoyed the first episode of the last season of GoT. I'll put my not-spoilery thoughts in spoiler tags anyway.
Warning: Spoiler! [ Click to expand ]

More
15 Apr 2019 08:35 #295503 by Jackwraith
Spoiler responses:

Warning: Spoiler! [ Click to expand ]
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
15 Apr 2019 09:21 #295511 by charlest
Agree on that episode Mark. I did dig the final scene (the fire thing), and I was wondering what happened to your favorite character too.

More
15 Apr 2019 10:37 #295513 by RobertB
Flying special effects in this episode were bad. As in, "Did anyone who worked on the show watch this?" bad. That aside, the episode was okay. There was a lot of 'everybody meeting everybody else' that had to happen, and getting it all done in one episode might have been the best way to handle that.

More
15 Apr 2019 12:34 #295523 by Gregarius
I liked it. I was fine with them "setting up the pieces," especially when it's been so long since the last episode aired. I also really liked the numerous parallels/homages to the very first episode.

But probably my favorite part was the fact that everything shown in the trailer appeared in this episode. I'm excited that I don't know what to expect from here (apart from what they showed in the preview for next week).

More
15 Apr 2019 22:54 #295548 by Shellhead
Besides everybody meeting everybody else, there were some nice new conflicts set up. Sansa has never been my favorite character, but I appreciated her bringing up the problem of feeding all the new troops in winter. I like the conflicts in this show best when both sides raise valid points, as opposed to the tired tropes of good vs evil.

More
16 Apr 2019 01:44 #295551 by Michael Barnes
I don’t mean to spoil it for anyone but I can’t believe that it was Raytheon Bannister stabbed JR Ewing to become the Duke of Snowtown. You have to admit that it is pretty lazy writing to kill off every character from seasons 1-7 in an opening montage. I don’t really like the new captain or that red haired kid.

More
16 Apr 2019 10:07 #295561 by Gary Sax
Cool guy doesn't like Game of Thrones. News at 11.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BillyBobThwarton

More
16 Apr 2019 10:18 #295564 by Sagrilarus
I made the glaring mistake of texting my daughter for tax return information during the Game of Thrones premier. She indicated that she would provide it when the show was done; I indicated that I wasn't terribly concerned about her tax return being late, which would incur a financial penalty against her refund.

Her TV has a pause feature. Who knew?

More
16 Apr 2019 11:10 #295566 by Shellhead
Watched the first two episodes of season two of Hannibal. It's frustrating. The season starts out with a massive spoiler for a big deal that will apparently happen at the end of season two. Fuck, who thought that was a good idea? Then the plot gets stuck in first gear, because poor Will is locked up and everybody think he is guilty. Looks like most of this season will is going to be a slow buildup to the spoiled scene. It was fun watching Hannibal take over Will's job, and the scenes with the exceptionally chilly Gillian Anderson suggest a big potential scene in the near future. I am hopeful that we will get a flashback to a certain traumatic scene from her past, but it might be even better to leave it somewhat shrouded in mystery.

More
16 Apr 2019 11:21 #295567 by Jackwraith
Am finally getting around to Peaky Blinders. I love it. My girlfriend is kind of being dragged along by being in the same room when I'm watching, but I've noticed her starting to really pay attention. At its root, it's a crime drama, which is nothing innovative. But the setting/time period is what makes it for me; right in the heart of the postwar period when communists inspired by the revolution in Russia, Finians inspired by the rebellion in Ireland, and veterans demoralized by what they've returned to are all creating an upheaval in the midst of a still-transforming society and economy where comprehensive public services are kind of a distant fantasy.

When we turned HBO back on for GoT, I also managed to catch up with the first three episodes of the last season of Veep. It remains the funniest show on TV. Since they've decided to play up the presidential campaign, they're being a bit more bizarre in the overall humor tone, but it's totally working. It also gives that many more openings for Richard (Sam Richardson) to give his endlessly positive unintentional rebukes.

More
16 Apr 2019 11:26 #295568 by charlest
I think Cillian Murphy really elevates Peaky Blinders as well. Although I'd say he elevates almost anything he's in.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
16 Apr 2019 11:33 #295569 by Jackwraith
I'd agree with that. He's definitely the strongest actor there, but that probably has something to do with his being the strongest/largest role. I'm a little non-plussed with Sam Neill, but I've never really been a fan of his.

Moderators: JackwraithGary SaxFrohike
Time to create page: 0.235 seconds