October 09, 2023
2518 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2720 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching?

More
18 Apr 2019 14:49 - 18 Apr 2019 14:50 #295725 by Shellhead
I really enjoyed the first three books of the Black Company series, plus the semi-standalone book The Silver Spike. After the Company headed south, the books got weighted down with a lot of new characters. Then the series staggered into the quagmire known as Dejagore, and never fully recovered. At the lowest point in the series, Cook decided that it would be a good idea to narrate a full book from the viewpoint of an unreliable, semi-omniscient narrator who has become mentally unmoored in time and space. This led to a meandering, spoilerish series of scenes that are somewhat difficult to place within the larger narrative of the siege of Dejagore. A competent editor should have taken a meat cleaver to Cook's first draft and held the siege down to a single book instead of three. Overall, I think that any fantasy fan should read those first four books and then proceed with caution. If the first Book of the South isn't enjoyable, consider bailing on the rest of the series. Or maybe just skip Bleak Seasons, knowing that She is the Darkness will rehash the important plot points that you missed in Bleak Seasons. That said, She is the Darkness is pretty good, and some very interesting revelations come in the two books after that. Staying on topic, The Black Company could work great as a tv show, like a dark fantasy version of Band of Brothers.
Last edit: 18 Apr 2019 14:50 by Shellhead.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Apr 2019 02:11 #295747 by Gary Sax
Black company would work very well as a TV series. The first three books are a very straightforward narrative.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GorillaGrody

More
20 Apr 2019 12:58 #295810 by GorillaGrody

Shellhead wrote: I really enjoyed the first three books of the Black Company series, plus the semi-standalone book The Silver Spike. After the Company headed south, the books got weighted down with a lot of new characters. Then the series staggered into the quagmire known as Dejagore, and never fully recovered. At the lowest point in the series, Cook decided that it would be a good idea to narrate a full book from the viewpoint of an unreliable, semi-omniscient narrator who has become mentally unmoored in time and space. This led to a meandering, spoilerish series of scenes that are somewhat difficult to place within the larger narrative of the siege of Dejagore. A competent editor should have taken a meat cleaver to Cook's first draft and held the siege down to a single book instead of three. Overall, I think that any fantasy fan should read those first four books and then proceed with caution. If the first Book of the South isn't enjoyable, consider bailing on the rest of the series. Or maybe just skip Bleak Seasons, knowing that She is the Darkness will rehash the important plot points that you missed in Bleak Seasons. That said, She is the Darkness is pretty good, and some very interesting revelations come in the two books after that. Staying on topic, The Black Company could work great as a tv show, like a dark fantasy version of Band of Brothers.

I almost never make it more than a couple of books into any book series, as I always get bored, even by stuff I'm enjoying. That said, I had a greater stamina when I was young, and read the first three of these. Picked up and read the first one fairly recently, and it mostly holds up.

Yes, the time is ripe for revisiting these ideas in a new medium.

More
20 Apr 2019 22:08 #295828 by Sagrilarus
We've just started watching Detour on Hulu (three seasons old) and at times it has been hilarious. Some of the best comedy we've seen.

Has someone discussed this aleady?

More
23 Apr 2019 12:41 #295950 by CapnHowdy
I highly recommend Black Summer on Netflix if you love the zombie genre.

It's excellent and I hope they do a second season.

More
23 Apr 2019 21:17 #295969 by trif
I liked the Danny the Street episode of Doom Patrol.

So refreshing to have an episode of ANYTHING nowadays with moments of joy.

(it was by no means perfect, or even great, but it made me happy.)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ancient_of_MuMu, WadeMonnig

More
24 Apr 2019 11:16 #295983 by Shellhead
It's awesome that they are basing the Doom Patrol series on the legendary Morrison run of the early '90s. Hope it doesn't get quite as weird as Morrison's final issues, because the weirdness finally reached a point where the storytelling broke down and the individual panels were only loosely connected by gibberish posing as exposition.

I finished season two of Hannibal, and I am frustrated with the show. When it's good, it's very good. But it felt like this second season was padded out by repetitive scenes, sluggish pacing, and even slow delivery of dialogue. It's like the season was too ambitious in terms of plot twists, and then sometimes failed to properly build towards those plot points. The quality of the acting just barely manages to carry the rubbish writing. I'm halfway convinced that Gillian Anderson's restrained performance may have simply been a side effect of heavy botox, but generally the actors are good here. Cynthia Nixon is okay, and Michael Pitt is tedious. Mads, Dancey, and Fishburne reliably deliver good performances from episode to episode.

One ongoing source of my discontent with the show is the score. There is a heavy reliance on abstract, atonal and weird music, cranked up really loud whenever there is something disturbing on the screen. Which is often. It's distracting and utterly lacking in subtlety. The quality of the music is also unimpressive. I am not a huge fan of classical music, but I think that is really the right music for Hannibal. The classical music would fit in with Hannibal's pretentious suits and elaborate cooking style, and wouldn't beat the viewer over the head with a blunt expression of THIS IS WEIRD or THIS IS SCARY.

The season finale ended with the exact fight scene that was heavily spoiled in the first episode of the season, but there were still surprises. By the end, it seems possible that most of the main cast will not be returning for the season, but it also seems possible that some of them may return. I anxiously started season three, but the show skipped ahead in time from the end of season two and so far hasn't addressed the fate of various characters from the previous season.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, hotseatgames

More
24 Apr 2019 11:56 #295989 by hotseatgames
I've been watching Black Summer on Netflix. I've watched several of them, and they are mindless popcorn television. Bad writing and equally bad acting.

I think I keep watching because there is a single character whose fate interests me, and she doesn't speak a word of English. She's great.

More
24 Apr 2019 12:48 #295993 by SebastianBludd
What We Do in the Shadows is four episodes into its first season - I'm one behind - and it's pretty good. It's done in the same mockumentary style as the movie, which was firmly in the Christopher Guest vein (pun not intended). The first two episodes were uneven - the LARPers = virgins joke was particularly uninspired - but the third episode, where the vampires get into a dispute with a group of local werewolves, was great. I would have liked to see Rhys Darby reprise his role from the movie as the werewolf alpha but Arj Barker (from Flight of the Conchords) is a more than suitable replacement.

I just hope they find out something more to do with Mark Proksch's energy vampire character (he doesn't bite anyone but saps their emotional energy) because he's a one-joke character right now and I feel like I've already seen everything interesting about him.

Also, WTF the Deadwood movie is actually coming out?!

More
24 Apr 2019 14:32 #295998 by ThirstyMan
God. Something must be wrong with me.

I bought the first 6 seasons on BluRay with every intention of watching but just could not get past maybe episode 6 of first season.

I tried immersing myself in the lore (on the BluRay discs), reading a bit of Martin's prose, nothing seems to click with me.

Tits and violence is not enough to get me enthralled and neither is tedious backstabbing and betrayal. Maybe should give it up as a lost cause.

On the plus side, I enjoyed Titans which I wasn't expecting. There's a few Turkish fantasy shows on Netflix which I'm looking into and one Spanish vampire thing. Will let you know when I've finished.

More
24 Apr 2019 16:03 #296010 by boothwah
Not running from the knowledge, just never was interested in D&D&T&A.

Have I missed any HBO hits that don't have that "We are harder than R!" as their stylistic imprint?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

More
24 Apr 2019 16:29 #296013 by Colorcrayons

boothwah wrote: Not running from the knowledge, just never was interested in D&D&T&A.

Have I missed any HBO hits that don't have that "We are harder than R!" as their stylistic imprint?

It's been a decade, so I could be mistaken, but I believe that Carnivale was a show that didn't bank on boobies and language.

It's 1920's dustbowl America stuff, with some Hocus pocus. But this was during a time when seasons got cancelled abruptly without a decent ending. Carnivale was one such victim of that abuse.

Good show.

More
24 Apr 2019 18:01 #296023 by hotseatgames
Carnivale had its share of adult entertainment.

More
24 Apr 2019 19:02 #296024 by DarthJoJo

boothwah wrote: Have I missed any HBO hits that don't have that "We are harder than R!" as their stylistic imprint?

Sesame Street, though I think the introduction of Abby Cadabby (the fairy girl Elmo) and an emphasis on weird “parody” shorts like Game of Chairs and When Cookie Met Sally meant for YouTube clicks haven’t been bright spots.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
24 Apr 2019 20:20 #296025 by Msample

SebastianBludd wrote: What We Do in the Shadows is four episodes into its first season - I'm one behind - and it's pretty good. It's done in the same mockumentary style as the movie, which was firmly in the Christopher Guest vein (pun not intended). The first two episodes were uneven - the LARPers = virgins joke was particularly uninspired - but the third episode, where the vampires get into a dispute with a group of local werewolves, was great. I would have liked to see Rhys Darby reprise his role from the movie as the werewolf alpha but Arj Barker (from Flight of the Conchords) is a more than suitable replacement.

I just hope they find out something more to do with Mark Proksch's energy vampire character (he doesn't bite anyone but saps their emotional energy) because he's a one-joke character right now and I feel like I've already seen everything interesting about him.

Also, WTF the Deadwood movie is actually coming out?!

Late May is the air date cocksucker !!

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.642 seconds