October 09, 2023
2514 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2712 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching?

More
17 Jun 2019 11:57 #298506 by ubarose
@Jeb

I have a friend who was in Poland at the time. When she flew back to the US, when they landed here everyone and all their stuff was gone over with geiger counters. A bunch of her stuff was confiscated including her shoes and her suitcases. She had to make her way home in her stocking feet dragging what remained of her belongs in plastic bags.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Jun 2019 12:08 #298507 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic What TV SHOWS are you watching?
There was a moment at the end of the first episode where they show the "red forest," the line of trees and vegetation that was under the plume of smoke and was so irradiated it died and turned brown basically overnight. That plume just kept going and dissipating as 1/r^2 roughly, following wind patterns all across Belarus and into Western Europe and Scandanavia. If it rained, it was bad; the rain would pull the Cs-137 and I-131 down and lay it out. Plants would take up the Cs, which farm animals eat and secrete. That's probably what got your friend's shoes and stuff taken. Meanwhile, everyone is taking up I-131, which is the biggest threat biologically for those outside the immediate area ("immediate area" is probably 50km!). It was an unmitigated disaster, made worse by the Soviets seeing if they could dodge notice, and not distributing iodine immediately to basically every single person and animal downwind.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Gary Sax, DarthJoJo

More
17 Jun 2019 15:15 #298513 by Shellhead
I plan to watch Chernobyl soon, but just wanted to give a heads up about Russia planning to do its own version of the show and blame the CIA.

www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-48559289

"Russia to make its own show about Chernobyl that implicates the US"

The CIA has done some shady things over the years, but I have zero doubt that the Soviets are to blame for their own nuclear disaster.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
17 Jun 2019 15:25 #298515 by hotseatgames
Apparently Russia now wants to ban the show from airing in Russia. I believe that's what you call closing the barn door after the cow's gotten out.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
01 Jul 2019 21:08 #299121 by Ah_Pook
My wife and I have been watching Holey Moley, a comedy miniature golf/obstacle course competition show. It's... It sure is something. Rob Wriggle is one of the commentators and he's pretty funny. It's a weird thing, but we've been enjoying it enough to watch more episodes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BillyBobThwarton

More
09 Jul 2019 14:54 #299468 by Shellhead
Based strictly on a recommendation by Charlie Theel, I finally watched the final season of Boardwalk Empire. I enjoyed the first four seasons, but felt like the conclusion of season four wrapped up most of the show, leaving not much left for a season five. I was half right, as season five spent a large amount of time delving into the formative years of several key characters. But it was very much worth watching, and led to unhappy endings for many characters who now seemed more deserving of their fates.

I just started watching Westworld, and it looks potentially very good. My dad was a big fan of westerns, but they usually struck me as overly simplistic morality plays. I would be hard pressed to come up with a list of ten westerns that I enjoyed watching. But I do like science-fiction, and this show is an uneasy combination of the two disparate genres. I never read the book or saw the original movie, so I don't know how much credit the show deserves. But the player piano is a brilliant symbol for the show, as a very early example of a punch card computer.

Chernobyl was amazing. It serves as a thriller based on both science and politics, but is ultimately more of a horror show. There was a scene where three power plant workers are wading through partially flooded tunnels with flashlights that somehow reminded me of the Alien movies. But then I realized that the radiation that they encountered was much more terrifying than any movie monster. Radiation burns are nasty, and cancer is a terrible way to die. The heroicism of ordinary Soviet citizens stood in stark contrast to craven liars of their government. The trial scene was impressive because it managed to fully and clearly explain precisely how the disaster happened to a non-scientist like myself.
The following user(s) said Thank You: charlest

More
09 Jul 2019 15:04 #299469 by charlest
Westworld is only similar to the original in very broad strokes. I dig the show though, despite its flaws.

I'm kind of stalling on TV lately, not much on that is catching my eye. Stranger Things season 3 was alright and entertaining enough, I do think the acting seems to have gotten worse among the adults (probably the writing).

Dark season 2 was pretty solid, although I find that I don't follow everything that's going on with this show. Between the subtitles and out there plot, it can be difficult.

Still need to finish What We Do in the Shadows (which is pretty great). Wish Mr. Robot and Legion were back.

More
09 Jul 2019 15:16 #299470 by hotseatgames
I finished Neon Genesis Evangelion. What started out as a fun mecha show quickly turns into something altogether different, and WAY less entertaining. No thanks.

Started Stranger Things season 3, and also season 2 of Dark. Dark is convoluted as hell.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
09 Jul 2019 15:48 #299471 by dysjunct
Stranger Things s3. Enjoying it, finishing the final two episodes tonight.

Ash vs. Evil Dead. Hot damn is this entertaining. I used to love the Evil Dead movies as a young'un, and this is all the shock, gore, and comedy I remember.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mantidman

More
09 Jul 2019 17:39 #299477 by Mantidman
Another vote for Ash vs. Evil Dead. Might have to binge watch again, as I have them.

More
09 Jul 2019 19:32 #299483 by trif
Legion is back - it's up to the third episode (though I've only seen the first of the new season which brings in a new character.)

It's certainly not shying away from where it left David, morally and ethically, at the end of the second season.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
09 Jul 2019 19:51 #299485 by Frohike
I'm here again.

Still completely enthralled
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
09 Jul 2019 23:19 - 09 Jul 2019 23:23 #299492 by Michael Barnes
I’ve watched Twin Peaks: The Return twice...I think it may be the best thing David Lynch has ever done. So many brilliant elements. It’s hilarious, horrifying, absurd, and upsettting. The best scenes are among the best scenes I’ve ever seen on television. And episode 8 is probably the most transgressive, surreal thing ever broadcast as part of a mainstream television series. It blows the last episode of The Prisoner away.

Now Stranger Things 3. I really liked it, but it was definitely a mixed bag. Lots of stuff that worked before repeated, some new stuff that worked really wel some things that have gotten stale, and some new elements that didn’t land well. I love that the mall they shot Starcourt in is actually a mall I went to in the 80s.

Random thoughts:
Warning: Spoiler!

I did really enjoy it overall and I slammed right through it. I don’t think they’ll ever top that first season, but this was a more consistently good/great season than 2.

I would totally be down for a spin-off with Robin and Steve tormenting Keith at the video rental.
Last edit: 09 Jul 2019 23:23 by Michael Barnes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jexik, Frohike

More
10 Jul 2019 08:51 #299501 by Sagrilarus

Ah_Pook wrote: My wife and I have been watching Holey Moley

We've been watching this too and Rob is clearly the most interesting part of the show. The one thing I've taken away is this -- there are some people that are really good minigolf players. Never dawned on me that there were people that took it seriously enough to sink 30 foot puts across wrinkles on spinning platforms.

More
12 Jul 2019 22:02 #299606 by Jexik
Finished Stranger Things 3 tonight. I agree that the first season was probably best, but this is still pretty good.

However...

Warning: Spoiler!

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.251 seconds