October 09, 2023
2520 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2721 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching?

More
02 Sep 2020 19:57 #313713 by mc
Replied by mc on topic What TV SHOWS are you watching?
Sometimes I really hate those Netflix trailers that go on for ever.
The one for this showed the whole arc more or less and removed any humour I was hoping might be there. Looked like a lame re-tread (even though I've seen the praise here and elsewhere).
What's the relationship between the two of them like? Are they wiser about things? is there respect between them? what's the deal?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Sep 2020 08:23 #313724 by jason10mm

mc wrote: Sometimes I really hate those Netflix trailers that go on for ever.
The one for this showed the whole arc more or less and removed any humour I was hoping might be there. Looked like a lame re-tread (even though I've seen the praise here and elsewhere).
What's the relationship between the two of them like? Are they wiser about things? is there respect between them? what's the deal?

You talking about Cobra Kai? If so, the show (so far) does a really masterful job showing the events of KK (1 mostly) from Johnny's POV and how he wasn't just the douchebag prep as seen from Daniel's POV. There is a very "Romeo and Juliet" vibe going on with the teenaged kids but most every conflict between Johnny and Daniel is very organic. Neither can let go of the trauma sustained in KK1 (Johnny's spectacular fall and Daniel constantly reliving his success after being bullied) that is being mirrored by the kids around them.

I'm sure at some point they will unite against a common enemy after a night of drinking (as is the way of things in TV land) but so far they are, while not bitter enemies, antagonists in an almost petty way (which is clearly called out by Daniels wife).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, mc

More
03 Sep 2020 09:38 #313726 by Msample

jason10mm wrote:

mc wrote: Sometimes I really hate those Netflix trailers that go on for ever.

You talking about Cobra Kai? If so, the show (so far) does a really masterful job showing the events of KK (1 mostly) from Johnny's POV and how he wasn't just the douchebag prep as seen from Daniel's POV. There is a very "Romeo and Juliet" vibe going on with the teenaged kids but most every conflict between Johnny and Daniel is very organic. Neither can let go of the trauma sustained in KK1 (Johnny's spectacular fall and Daniel constantly reliving his success after being bullied) that is being mirrored by the kids around them.

I'm sure at some point they will unite against a common enemy after a night of drinking (as is the way of things in TV land) but so far they are, while not bitter enemies, antagonists in an almost petty way (which is clearly called out by Daniels wife).

To add on, both Daniel and Johnny have good points and bad points - its not the black and white good vs bad of the movie. Johnny's character in particular is very much fleshed out and more nuanced. And while his time warp stuck in the 80s attitudes are a bit unbelievable at times, they also offer up some funny scenes , so its worth the suspension of disbelief. The final scenes of S2 offer some interesting hints of who we might see in the third season, which sadly won't be out til 2021 from what I've read , despite filming having been completed prior to the pandemic.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mc

More
03 Sep 2020 10:25 - 03 Sep 2020 10:28 #313731 by mezike
Cobra Kai is great, especially the exploration of those grey areas and the knowing winks it gives to 80s nostalgia without actually devolving into 80s nostalgia despite being, well, largely in existence due to just that trend.

I like how so many of the supporting characters are painted as these big caricatures and the leads often have subtle moments where they are dumbfounded by the unreality around them. The first couple of episodes hooked me real hard where Johnny is trying desperately to act like the villain but he's not quite into it and struggles; like the moment where he's setting up his dojo and gets scolded about building codes and insurance. It's played like a supervillain building their volcano lair only to find themselves deluged with trying to sort out catering services and bathroom facilities for their minions - what do you mean, I can't just go out and do evil?

Ralph Macchio has a great take on the show (timestamp doesn't seem to work on the embedded video so skip to 15:30 for his talk about Cobra Kai):

Last edit: 03 Sep 2020 10:28 by mezike.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mads b., Nodens, mc

More
03 Sep 2020 11:27 - 03 Sep 2020 11:38 #313737 by ChristopherMD
Stargirl - I'm not sure at what point I started hate-watching this show but I imagine it was pretty early on. It's like one of the CW shows (and will be season two) without any of the humor. The main character never seemed to have any real heroic qualities, leadership abilities or common sense. While a reboot of the Justice Society of America with teenagers sounds cool on paper, the show trying to taken seriously is unfortunately where we see how dumb it is to actually let kids do it. Also, the Injustice Society of America's master plan reveal was
Warning: Spoiler!
annoyingly political.
Last edit: 03 Sep 2020 11:38 by ChristopherMD.

More
03 Sep 2020 11:37 #313740 by Shellhead
That is disappointing to hear about Stargirl. I've been a JSA fan since I was a little kid reading Justice League of America #100. And Stargirl was an interesting character in the comics. Usually DC tv shows have been good in recent years, but I suppose a dud was inevitable.

More
03 Sep 2020 20:11 #313752 by jason10mm
Bummer about Stargirl. Seems like the DC shows are on the downslope.

Well, if nothing else I got to meet long time crush Amy Smart while she was in town filming :p

More
04 Sep 2020 23:44 #313788 by hotseatgames
1 episode into season 2 of The Boys. If you liked season 1, you'll be on board with this. I loved it.

2 episodes into the new HBO show Raised by Wolves. This is a WEIRD show. Androids on some desolate planet, charged with raising children in order to continue the human race. Also, space Catholics. I'm not willing to say I like it yet, but it is different enough to keep me interested.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WadeMonnig

More
08 Sep 2020 12:04 #313843 by Shellhead
Still frustrated by Lovecraft Country. Episode four was very ambitious, featuring the equivalent of a pretty good session of Call of Cthulhu. Everything looks great, and the pacing was pretty good. But the compressed storytelling occasionally rushes through a scene, and sometimes characters seem to just explode with overreacting emotion because there wasn't time to build up to the moment. And sometimes, a character just does something with no other apparent motivation other than to move the story to the next scene. The inappropriate modern music selections continue, possibly including Cardi B this time around. And for the second episode in a row, one of the good guys abused a book, which is money-changing in my temple. Last time, a protagonist ripped several pages out of a paperback edition of Dracula, with no valid explanation given. This time, a good guy burned an occult book full of useful information, though at least he read it first. Even so, the overall show is pretty good.

Binged the first three episodes of the second season of The Boys. It wasn't quite as enjoyable as first season, though I can't quite identify what is missing yet. It's still great for shocks, dark humor, and a compelling story. I'm a little disappointed that the Deep is still getting a fair amount of screen time, but it must be leading towards something. New character Stormfront is a refreshing addition to the cast, though she feels instantly familiar. Maybe the writers watched at least as much Portlandia as I have, just to get the character sounding right.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jason10mm

More
08 Sep 2020 16:26 #313848 by Michael Barnes
I’ve only seen the first one but Raised by Wolves is -awesome-. Even if I never see another, I’m totally satisfied. It is arty, pretentious 1970s style sci fi. With lower production values (they are sky high but artfully minimalist) and without the shocking gore you could pass it off as a long lost 1971 Nicholas Roeg or John Boorman picture. Definitely a return to roots for Ridley Scott.

The last 10 minutes or so is just mind blowing. Literally.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
08 Sep 2020 23:50 #313857 by jason10mm
I'm digging The Boys though I still can't fathom what Vought has that keeps these demi-god heroes on such short leashes. Coverage for their generally homicidal behavior? A steady paycheck? It doesn't really add up IMHO.

Found some rand Brit fantasy show called Beowulf on amazon. It is a couple of years old and REALLY REALLY wants to be a PG-13 Game of Thrones. It has 1 very lavish set and boy they use it A LOT. I'm not really sure what it is using as source material, certainly not the epic though I think they are ever so slightly using it as a template.

Kudos for digging deep on the diversity, they have Indian blacksmiths which I can only assume were wootz steel makers originally. Africans being the slave masters of the "mud born" monsters of the world is another interesting choice. I'm not sure exactly how the geography works out but it adds a lot to the fantastical surrealism of the show.

More
09 Sep 2020 00:26 #313859 by Shellhead

jason10mm wrote: I'm digging The Boys though I still can't fathom what Vought has that keeps these demi-god heroes on such short leashes. Coverage for their generally homicidal behavior? A steady paycheck? It doesn't really add up IMHO.

Homelander keeps the rest of the supes in line. Homelander has a specific obsession that Vought is able to exploit during first season, and in a different way in second season. So far, though it looks like Homelander might be ready to break free soon.

More
09 Sep 2020 09:19 #313868 by the_jake_1973
I don't think he will break free so much as put a certain other supe back in their place. He sees a potential usurper that will upset his 'family'. The new supe would be the one to break free IMO, and become a new super villain in true comic book fashion.

More
09 Sep 2020 09:29 #313869 by hotseatgames
I finished the 3 episodes of The Boys released so far. I do not like The Deep at all... every second he is on screen is time that could be better spent elsewhere.

More
09 Sep 2020 10:23 #313874 by Shellhead

hotseatgames wrote: I finished the 3 episodes of The Boys released so far. I do not like The Deep at all... every second he is on screen is time that could be better spent elsewhere.

I feel the same way, except that I didn't mind his downward trajectory in season 1. Now he is just wasted space, but I assume he is still in the picture because he will become important later.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.217 seconds