October 09, 2023
2518 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2719 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching?

More
26 Sep 2021 15:26 #326770 by Gary Sax
My wife was like "this guy is too much like my golden child brother, I can't watch this."

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Sep 2021 18:03 #326773 by Shellhead
I heard that Mare of Easttown was good, but I heard wrong. It's great. It should have been season four of True Detective. I'm only 4 episodes into it, and I am enthralled. There is a lot going on, with a variety of suspects and a wealth of subplots going on, but it is anchored by strong performances by Kate Winslet, Jean Smart, Guy Pearce, and Evan Peters. I confess that I nearly gave up 30 minutes into the first episode, because everything seemed so bleak and awful. But then the script warms up with some humanity, and a variety of characters reveal considerable depth.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Gary Sax, Sagrilarus, jpat, sornars

More
26 Sep 2021 18:06 #326774 by Jackwraith
Agree. It was excellent and my girlfriend from small-town Pennsylvania even said that they did a great job presenting small-town Pennsylvania. But, yeah, the performances are the real highlight, especially Winslet and Smart.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Gary Sax, sornars

More
27 Sep 2021 00:52 #326783 by Ancient_of_MuMu

ChristopherMD wrote: Foundation - The first couple episodes are great. It's not like the books but its still really interesting. Beautiful space elevator that takes 14 hours down to the top-layer of Trantor.

So far so good with Foundation. I am a huge fan of the novels (named my daughter after a character) so was always filled with excitement and fear they would stuff it up. My fiance who hasn't read anything and doesn't really like sci fi is also hooked after 2 episodes.

I have a suspicion that it is going to World War Z on us, having the very bare minimum to do with the books. Definitely intrigued where it is going.

More
27 Sep 2021 07:30 #326784 by jason10mm
Foundation is interesting and quite pretty but the writing is all over the place. The trial is almost incomprehensible. It's been so long since I've read fhe books about all I remember is the name hari Seldon and the word psychohistiry so the plot at least feels fresh.

More
28 Sep 2021 01:01 #326799 by Gary Sax
I watched the first episode of mare of East Town and like it's very good but I don't know if I have this much kind of dark depressing setup in me anymore unless it really jumps into plot.

More
28 Sep 2021 08:23 #326800 by hotseatgames
It is grey throughout. In fact lots of bad things happen to several people. Well acted, but I felt it was an American attempt at a British cop show, and not pulled off to that level. The British have this stuff cold.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Mabuse, Sagrilarus

More
28 Sep 2021 08:28 - 28 Sep 2021 08:29 #326801 by Sagrilarus

hotseatgames wrote: It is grey throughout. In fact lots of bad things happen to several people. Well acted, but I felt it was an American attempt at a British cop show, and not pulled off to that level. The British have this stuff cold.

Speaking of which, No Offence (Acorn TV) continues to kick ass in season 2. (Season 1 was merely excellent.) Great TV.

It's good to hear there are American shows taking a shot at this genre. I'll have a look at Mare.
Last edit: 28 Sep 2021 08:29 by Sagrilarus.

More
28 Sep 2021 08:32 #326802 by charlest
Mare of Easttown reminded me most of The Killing, which is also excellent.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Gary Sax, hotseatgames

More
28 Sep 2021 09:24 #326803 by hotseatgames
Although I made it to season 3, I finally bounced off of Startup. The writing just got really bad, with plot holes I could no longer ignore.

Started Squid Game. It's another one of those "play this game in which losing means you die" shows that seem to be extremely popular in Korean or Japanese television / anime. It spends more time than expected doing build-up, but so far, so good.

More
29 Sep 2021 12:01 #326835 by Shellhead
Just wanted to follow up regarding Mare of Easttown and note that the ending was great, too. A variety of subplots and loose ends get addressed, but there is obvious potential for a season two.

More
29 Sep 2021 12:05 #326836 by Gary Sax
What is the obvious room for season 2? I don't see it.

I watched the whole thing and thought it was very good. I got a little tired of the unending red herring structure but that's every one of these shows. This is basically American Broadchurch but with a woman POV with a lot going on in her life after tragedy instead of an extremely stereotypical male "a tragedy has eliminated everything but work" David Tennant.

More
29 Sep 2021 12:27 #326839 by hotseatgames
Update, over half done, Squid Game is legit
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Mabuse

More
29 Sep 2021 12:59 #326840 by Shellhead

Gary Sax wrote: What is the obvious room for season 2? I don't see it.

The case is closed, but Mare has her badge back so she is able to pursue a new case for season two. But the other major aspect of the show, as you pointed out, is that she has a lot going on in her life, and there is plenty of potential for future subplots involving various people in her life. It might strain credibility if some of the same characters end up as suspects all over again, or detract from the show if those various supporting characters have zero connection to the new case. Then again, it's a small enough town that everybody is in everybody's business, so maybe the existing cast can credibly have ties to various new characters. I personally don't see a need for a second season unless it will maintain a high level of quality.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
29 Sep 2021 14:17 - 29 Sep 2021 14:18 #326841 by jpat
I've been trying to push through the later seasons of the Doctor Who revival series (although it seems sort of silly to call it that given that it's already been on about half the length of the classic series). Despite being a longtime classic-series nut (going back to the mid-80s) and a revival-series fan as well, Just about to the end of season 9 (Capaldi), and haven't seen any of the Whittaker run. I'm aware of the standard "it's not her, it's the writing" complaints, so I should probably just see for myself. I guess this was sparked in some sense by the announced return of Russell T. Davies to the showrunner position starting in 2023. While RTD did some things I wasn't particularly fond of, it seems like a good retread direction and course corrective for a show that's lost steam.

I've also periodically picked up full-season Blu-rays for the classic series. Now watching season 19 (Davison's first), which I fondly remember from when my local PBS station at the time finally switched over from showing all-Tom-Baker, all-the-time to having more of the classic series, so I could finally see what happened after Baker's Doctor regenerated. The Blu-rays are really nice, tend to run around $40 when readily in stock, and are probably the maximum quality attainable at this point given the original-source quality. Aside from packaging, which is inconsistent and increasingly cheapo (at least on the US side), there's nothing at all really to complain about. The BBC has a wealth of DVD-era extras to draw on, and each of the Blu-ray sets has many new additional special features.
Last edit: 29 Sep 2021 14:18 by jpat.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.527 seconds