October 09, 2023
2530 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2729 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

How Connected to F:AT is Your Game Group?

More
21 Feb 2012 19:59 #117190 by Mr. White
Yeah, slow day at work...

Over the years, it appears that a lot of F:ATties know each other offline. I'm curious how connected our game groups are to the F:AT community. Are we mostly all offline friends hanging out here during work hours or are a large portion of us the sole representative of our groups?

I personally play games with Sgt. Dave in a group that ranges from 2-8. I know there are a few other Austin based F:ATties (Chapel, Metalface) but I haven't gamed with them.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Feb 2012 20:08 #117196 by scissors
Our group isn't. Besides me, no one knows what F:AT is or BGG for that matter. And if they did, they wouldn't care since we play mostly what we've already got or new stuff I bring. Talkin 3-5 players besides myself.

More
21 Feb 2012 20:08 #117197 by san il defanso
I gamed with Von Tush once, since he also lives in the KC area. He taught me Moongh Invaders, and we had a lot of fun. Still haven't been able to allign our schedules for a second-go-round though.

But short of him, I'm about the only other F:ATtie I know in the area. A couple friends have been pointed here when I have an article, but I think the fact that it's almost all discussion based, and not really a "tool" like BGG has scared some away. It's too bad, because these forums are much warmer and more inviting than BGG.

Except for my friend Warren, who lurks here a lot but doesn't post. On my recent thread about Wiz-War and Talisman, he actually e-mailed me to offer to let me try his copy of Talisman. Looks like he and Von Tush have a game night in their future. Warren, are you reading this?

Also, my best friend for college posts here as Tevin. We both went to school in Ohio, but he lives way up in Seattle now. Tool.

More
21 Feb 2012 20:09 - 21 Feb 2012 20:11 #117198 by bfkiller
As far as I know, nobody I play games with knows this site exists.

Most of the people I game with don't visit BGG either, though a few have rarely-used accounts there.
Last edit: 21 Feb 2012 20:11 by bfkiller.

More
21 Feb 2012 20:14 #117200 by Shellhead
On isolated occasions, I've played boardgames with Thaadd, Joel, and Delobius. (And also Z-Man, Grudunza and KingPut when they were in town for a visit.) But my regular players are only dimly aware of BGG and fairly ignorant of F:AT. I know a lot of other boardgamers in the Twin Cities, but most of them were assimilated by the EuroGame bias at BGG and know nothing of F:AT. I try to tell people about F:AT but haven't won any converts.

More
21 Feb 2012 20:30 #117208 by Ken B.
I have gamed with Kingput, Dogmatix, and Malloc up in the cold win'try nawth a couple of times, and Steve Avery, Rob Martin, Mikey Barnes in Atlanta a couple of times now. I've also gamed with Strange Aeon, Rilyen, BillyZ, Loter, Josh Look, SuperflyTNT, and a few other folks from these boards.

From my game group(s), only my brother and my friend Brian (Green Lantern) are here regularly. Two other guys from the Hunstville game groups have accounts here but are infrequent visitors, including my friend Knepp (Ancient One.)

More
21 Feb 2012 20:34 #117212 by Mr. White

Ken B. wrote: Two other guys from the Hunstville game groups have accounts here but are infrequent visitors, including my friend Knepp (Ancient One.)

Huntsville, Al?

Do you know Jason Dunham? Though I can imagine he's tied into the local Warhammer scene.

More
21 Feb 2012 20:40 #117214 by san il defanso
Boy, all you guys travel everyone to game. How is it none of you are passing through KC?

Says the guy who waits in KC for people to come to him.

More
21 Feb 2012 20:43 #117216 by Ken B.

Jeff White wrote:

Ken B. wrote: Two other guys from the Hunstville game groups have accounts here but are infrequent visitors, including my friend Knepp (Ancient One.)

Huntsville, Al?

Do you know Jason Dunham? Though I can imagine he's tied into the local Warhammer scene.

Yep, good ol' AL, but I'm afraid I've never met Jason. Then again, I will quite likely never be a Warhammerer.

More
21 Feb 2012 20:50 #117221 by Dr. Mabuse
None in my group. A couple go to BGG every few days.

I've gamed with jonjacob who I met through F:AT.

I think mikecl lives in our neck of the woods too but I've never met him.

More
21 Feb 2012 20:55 #117223 by Black Barney
of my boardgame friends, none are connected to F:AT. My wife facebook shares my articles on here when they get published and my top ten from 2010 article making front page of F:AT was a proud moment for her and I so she put that on her facebook and most of my gaming friends wrote, "BFD." Ugh, so fock those guys. These same dorks are aware of BGG but publically chastise me when I visit BGG on my buddy's iPad for rules clarifications before a match of Age of Wonder (or whatever that game is called, I forget).

of my videogame friends, Enrique is on here. He and Imrahil are old CCG buddies that I used to play with (well, Enrique was head judge, but it counts). Ken brought me here, i brought them.

in short, my video game and online friends are cooler than my real life gaming friends. the end

More
21 Feb 2012 20:57 #117225 by Ken B.

Black Barney wrote: of my boardgame friends, none are connected to F:AT. My wife facebook shares my articles on here when they get published and my top ten from 2010 article making front page of F:AT was a proud moment for her and I so she put that on her facebook and most of my gaming friends wrote, "BFD." Ugh, so fock those guys. These same dorks are aware of BGG but publically chastise me when I visit BGG on my buddy's iPad for rules clarifications before a match of Age of Wonder (or whatever that game is called, I forget).

of my videogame friends, Enrique is on here. He and Imrahil are old CCG buddies that I used to play with (well, Enrique was head judge, but it counts). Ken brought me here, i brought them.

in short, my video game and online friends are cooler than my real life gaming friends. the end

I have wondered many times how we've known each other for like 10-11 years and yet have never gamed together. One of those weird internet things.

More
21 Feb 2012 21:09 - 21 Feb 2012 21:15 #117230 by Chapel
Locally, I know Ed and Susan Roz.(edroz, SusanR), Joey(joebelanger), and Steve(echo2112).

I've met in person, hung out with, or gamed F2F with Zman, Moofrank, Sisteray, Cocktavian, and a boat load of others.

And I am related to Ubarose, and Kingput. ;)

For BGG, out of the 20 or so I play regularly around town, probably all of them save one or two is on BGG. That I've tracked one way or another, I have gamed face to face, or have hung out socially with 179 different members.
Last edit: 21 Feb 2012 21:15 by Chapel.

More
21 Feb 2012 21:10 #117231 by Chapel

Jeff White wrote:
I personally play games with Sgt. Dave in a group that ranges from 2-8. I know there are a few other Austin based F:ATties (Chapel, Metalface) but I haven't gamed with them.

Which totally needs rectifying. :)

More
21 Feb 2012 21:26 - 21 Feb 2012 21:28 #117237 by mikecl
I discovered F:AT when I was making an inquiry about whether Quarriors was any kind of a game when it was new. JonJacob, a total stranger in a public forum, invited me over to his place to try it out. And now that I'm thinking about it, that's a measure of the kind of guy he is. So I went. Had a good time too. He's a musician with a wall full of musical instruments. He's got the cutest little baby too. He'd told me he likes flicking games so I brought over Catacombs and I'd just purchased Summoner Wars Master Set and I came over with those. We spent the afternoon trying it all out and looking at his collection.

I checked out his profile on the Geek and saw a note he hung out here most of the time and decided to see for myself. That and I'd just been banned over at BGG for a really stupid reason. Glad I came. I like the vibe.
Last edit: 21 Feb 2012 21:28 by mikecl.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.169 seconds