October 09, 2023
2532 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2737 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

How Connected to F:AT is Your Game Group?

More
21 Feb 2012 21:26 - 21 Feb 2012 21:28 #117238 by repoman
Lets see, I have met and played with Uba and Engineer Al on numerous occasions. Though probably we'd play more often if Al would learn to answer his damn phone. I know, you think he probably drops me to voice mail, but I find that difficult to believe. It is through Uba that I actually came to this site.

I have met Matt Loter at what has become known as the "Dune" incident. There were probably other F:ATies at that game but no idea who they were as I wasn't involved with the website at that time.

Recently I met/re-met Josh Look who lives like 2 seconds from my house. We played at a local store.

As to my regular gaming circle. I'm pretty lucky in that there are a bunch of people I game with on regular basis. There may be a few that lurk here but none that post outside of those mentioned above. All are aware of BGG. Few post there but we all know to go there for game info.
Last edit: 21 Feb 2012 21:28 by repoman.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Feb 2012 22:04 #117246 by OldHippy
I've met Dr. Mabuse and MikeCl, both great guys I'd game with anytime I could manage, but of my game group two know what F:AT is; one has posted replies in an article or two, he goes by Darkstar I think and has a Conan avatar, another is a member but has never posted; "Sleevan" is his handle. None of the others are anything more than vaguely aware of the site, thanks to me, and would tease me for mentioning it in public.

I mentioned it once and my brothers girlfriend said: "What is that, a boardgame site or something?" to which my brother replied; "It's not just a boardgame site, it's a clique within a clique, a boardgame site for a particular type of hobby gaming. It's especially nerdy."

All internet crap should stay on the internet, is the unwritten (until now), rule we use. Most of them think it is ridiculous to discuss games in this level of detail and post on forums about said games.

I totally agree with them and those guys are all way cooler than I am simply because the don't post here. As I imagine your non-posting friends are as well. Over half don't even have cell phones.

Almost every time I post I think about how stupid it is to care this much about games and I feel a little silly. Fortunately I like feeling silly and there is no guilt involved with that emotion whatsoever. I revel in it for added fun.

More
21 Feb 2012 22:28 - 21 Feb 2012 22:28 #117254 by repoman

JonJacob wrote: Almost every time I post I think about how stupid it is to care this much about games and I feel a little silly. Fortunately I like feeling silly and there is no guilt involved with that emotion whatsoever. I revel in it for added fun.

I have to say that is a sentiment I've seen stated here on F:AT a couple of times. I couldn't feel more differently about games. I don't feel silly at all for caring about games. I LOVE games. I think this hobby totally rocks. The people I have met and become friends with are simply some of the best, most generous, most fun people I know.

Being cool is having passion and enthusiasm for something. For being able to delight and take joy in something.
Last edit: 21 Feb 2012 22:28 by repoman.
The following user(s) said Thank You: scissors

More
21 Feb 2012 22:35 #117256 by mikecl

JonJacob wrote: Fortunately I like feeling silly and there is no guilt involved with that emotion whatsoever. I revel in it for added fun.

See that's the part that's going to get you in trouble with your cool friends man. I mean you can dip your toe in the silliness, you might even get away with wallowing in it from time to time, but revelling? That's over the top dewd! Get a grip!!!

You know there are limits to these things. Do I really have to tell you EVERYTHING?
The following user(s) said Thank You: OldHippy

More
21 Feb 2012 22:38 #117257 by mikecl

repoman wrote: I don't feel silly at all for caring about games. I LOVE games. I think this hobby totally rocks.

Yes, but you're a NERD!!!!!!

More
21 Feb 2012 22:42 #117259 by MattFantastic
Fuck self deprication, I'm awesome and love games in a seriously nerdy way.

On topic I think I've played with more regular posters here than not. List is too long! My big holes right now are Barnes, Matt Thrower and Chapel. JJ & Barney would also be cool but we'd just end up making out and not playing any games.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, OldHippy

More
21 Feb 2012 22:49 #117262 by mikecl

MattLoter wrote: Fuck self deprication, I'm awesome and love games in a seriously nerdy way.

You sure you don't mean self deprivation Matt? Those are awfully big words you're throwing around!

More
21 Feb 2012 23:06 #117267 by jeb
I am pretty sure some folks I game with know about F:AT, but none of them post here, ever. I have gamed with KingPut, though, he's a hero to millions. I miiiiiiiiiiiiight be able to squeeze in a game in the NE area this summer when I visit my sister in Massachu. I know there's scads of you clowns out that way.

This is my online hangout of choice though. I am not active on any other communities to this degree. I post an occasional note on The AV Club, Boing Boing, and Ars Technica, but nothing like this day to day interaction. Lovin' it, folks. Keep it up.

More
21 Feb 2012 23:26 #117268 by Schweig!
No people I know personally use this site in any way. A girl I know wanted to see my cartoons online so I sent her a link. I don't think she understood any of the jokes.

Thru this site I have met Jur, Andy (moss_icon) and Tomas (sydo). All Europeans.

My university offers an exchange program with the university in Athens, Georgia. I used to plan on applying for this, but I don't think I will continue studying here in Koblenz any longer.

More
21 Feb 2012 23:36 #117270 by rocketkiwi
Most of the people I play games with are aware of the site but, as far as I know, don't read it. They are regulars on BGG, though. I once shook hands and had a brief conversation with Jason Lutes at a regional game day, but that's the extent of my contact with other members.

More
21 Feb 2012 23:52 #117274 by Black Barney
it sounds stupid but one of the last things I'd want to do with some of the cool dudes here if ever we met up would be to play games (nono, not make out, although that would be fine), I'd much sooner grab a pint and laugh and talk and stuff.

Imrahil and I are huge gamer dorks and I think the most fun we ever had together wasn't playing a game but splashing around in a hotel pool during fireworks making fun of fat chicks (we're not exactly slim ourselves either). Just stupid fun.

maybe I'm getting old or something
The following user(s) said Thank You: OldHippy, imrahil327

More
22 Feb 2012 00:04 #117275 by DeletedUser
I'm pretty sure I'm the only member of my game group that has any desire to post in an online gaming forum. I think one other person in my game group has registered with BGG, but isn't active there. Actually, I might just be the only person in NZ posting at F:AT. Wolvendancer was living here for a while, back he's back in the States now I believe. We never got a chance to meet as he was a bit of a drive away at the time. Southernman has promised me a game next time he returns, but I'm guessing F:AT will be off the list of conversation topics.

So ronery...

More
22 Feb 2012 00:23 #117276 by OldHippy

repoman wrote:

JonJacob wrote: Almost every time I post I think about how stupid it is to care this much about games and I feel a little silly. Fortunately I like feeling silly and there is no guilt involved with that emotion whatsoever. I revel in it for added fun.

I have to say that is a sentiment I've seen stated here on F:AT a couple of times. I couldn't feel more differently about games. I don't feel silly at all for caring about games. I LOVE games. I think this hobby totally rocks. The people I have met and become friends with are simply some of the best, most generous, most fun people I know.

Being cool is having passion and enthusiasm for something. For being able to delight and take joy in something.

I just knew people would miss the point. That's ok, if you think that we collectively define cool by that measure, great. That is not how the world at large sees the word and your definition is entirely personal and not very handy in public.

Like I said, I enjoy feeling silly and if this hobby ever got "cool", I'd get the fuck out of it in no time. Playing with little plastic dudes = silly, but that's what life is all about to me.

More
22 Feb 2012 00:47 - 22 Feb 2012 03:21 #117278 by KingPut
I started this list as a bet with Steve "I've met more F:atties than you" Avery back in 2009. I just updated the list. I've added the cons people attend to make the point that if you want to meet up with F:ATties you have to go to WBC, Conncon, Averycon, TOS-con or some other gaming con.

F:ATties I've met in roughly the order I met them:
Uba - Ubafest, Trashfest MD 2009, Conncon, WBC
Engineer Al - Conncon, WBC
Wkover - Maryland game group, WBC, Game Days
IganaDitty - Maryland gamer, WBC, Game Days
Malloc - Maryland game group, WBC
Bienardo - Maryland game group until he move to Seattle. WBC
Daveroswell - WBC roomate, Trashfest
Zev - WBC, Trashfest MD 2009, Conncon, Zevfest
Dogmatic - Trashfest MD 2009, WBC
Ken B - Ken's trip east
SkaBarron - WBC
Shellhead - Arkham Horror - Minnesota trip
Thaad - Arkham Horror - Minnesota trip
Joel - Arkham Horror - Minnesota trip
Steve "?" Avery - Trashfest 2009, Conncon
A Strange Aeon - Trashfest 2009
Mr. Zir - Arkham Horror - Dallas trip
Sag - Lives in Maryland, WBC
Will Kenyan - WBC
Flimflam - WBC, Conncon
MattLoter - WBC, Conncon
Joshlook - On the way to Atlanta
Jason Lutes - Met at Conncon
Southernman - War of the Ring and Queens Gambit in a bar in England
Bernie - Lives close by, WBC, Conncon
AndyinKuwait - The bar at WBC
MSample - WAM, WBC
Grimnir - WBC
Freudianslip27 - New guy on F:AT lives one town from me. Taught me Mage Knight.

Online gaming only:
Dr. Mabuse, Gary Sax, Mr. Skeletor, MattDP, Ozjesting, (forgot The Angry German Kid)
Last edit: 22 Feb 2012 03:21 by KingPut.

More
22 Feb 2012 01:05 #117280 by Notahandle
Just me. A few of the others know TOS, one's registered and logs his plays. Don't know if the other half dozen know TOS or not.

Only F:ATtie I've gamed with is Southernman, once.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.387 seconds