October 09, 2023
2522 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2723 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

Coronavirus

More
11 Jun 2020 11:27 #311060 by ThirstyMan
Replied by ThirstyMan on topic Coronavirus
Don't know about America but Kuwait is still pretty serious about this. We are in Phase 1 of five phases to open Kuwait. Unfortunately, Phase 1 is still razor wire lockdown with a 12 hour night curfew and shopping appointments. Masks and gloves in shops or get arrested. Next phase involves removing the appointment system. Each phase due to last 3 weeks but can be extended, Airport opens at the end of Phase 5 which is the end of August. Curfew breaking is still a pretty serious offence and will remain so. Plenty of Kuwaitis arrested and charged under this public health emergency law.

My school is realistically assuming that actual people attending school will not be possible for a year or so. We are switching to e learning for a year from September to keep everyone as safe as possible. Obviously, job losses are possible although probably not me being a Head of Department and 20 yr experience. If they fire me it means the school has gone bust.

My wife is recovering from a stomach ulcer in the Ukraine and hopes to return at the end of August. Watching in amazement as US ignores Covid and implodes with tension. To be fair, I am very glad I don't live there.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Gary Sax

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jun 2020 12:47 #311063 by Rliyen
Replied by Rliyen on topic Coronavirus

dysjunct wrote: My local CostCo is still out of tons of stuff. On the upside, we made it out for under $40, which has never happened before.

We're reduced to essentially alcohol hand sanitizer in cooking oil pumps. The gel stuff? A thing of legend.

And for wipes, you have a better chance finding an actual unicorn.

Sorry, D. I've failed in my quest for wipes for you. I swear, the shelves were stocked and then BOOM. Nowhere.

Now, if you need TP, we have that in droves now.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
11 Jun 2020 12:50 #311064 by Rliyen

ubarose wrote: I still can't find hand sanitizer, liquid lysol. bleach or toilet paper. I was able to get paper towels, so yay for that.

Uba, I can send you toilet paper. Let me know if you want me to send some to you. Nearly all the stores in my area have that fully stocked.

Hand sanitizer is available, but it's liquid and not gel.

Hey, everyone, the offer stands to anyone.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, jeb, ChristopherMD, n815e

More
11 Jun 2020 13:15 #311065 by ChristopherMD
Replied by ChristopherMD on topic Coronavirus
I haven't looked for specific things but stores in my area appear fully stocked. I was even able to buy Tylenol a couple weeks ago.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
11 Jun 2020 13:25 #311066 by n815e
Replied by n815e on topic Coronavirus
You’re awesome.

Rliyen wrote:

ubarose wrote: I still can't find hand sanitizer, liquid lysol. bleach or toilet paper. I was able to get paper towels, so yay for that.

Uba, I can send you toilet paper. Let me know if you want me to send some to you. Nearly all the stores in my area have that fully stocked.

Hand sanitizer is available, but it's liquid and not gel.

Hey, everyone, the offer stands to anyone.

More
11 Jun 2020 13:29 - 11 Jun 2020 13:30 #311067 by Rliyen
I help out when I can.
Last edit: 11 Jun 2020 13:30 by Rliyen.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bfkiller

More
11 Jun 2020 14:41 #311068 by dysjunct
Replied by dysjunct on topic Coronavirus
We now have wipes and yeast, so the immediate threat is gone. Our local craft distiller is now producing hand sanitizer so if anyone wants artisanal sanitizer now’s the time to establish your hipster cred.

Costco is out of rice, flour, and beans. (Bulk.)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen

More
11 Jun 2020 15:12 #311069 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Coronavirus
Thank you so much Rliyen.

We are okay for now. I have about a month's supply still. My daughter was living an apartment with 6 other people. When they evacuated the campus, everyone in her apartment split and left the TP behind. She returned home with a frikin hoard of TP.

But if I don't find a supply within the next two weeks, I may be getting in touch with you.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen

More
11 Jun 2020 16:47 #311071 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Coronavirus
We've gotten TP delivered to the door from Walmart at no extra charge. We're discovering that Walmart delivery is pretty solid and very cheap if you're not in a hurry. I did Target last week and it was excellent, free shipping after $35.

I'm an Amazon guy -- send and forget. But we're starting to figure out that some of the Brick & Mortars are giving them a run for their money.

More
11 Jun 2020 16:59 #311072 by Rliyen
No problem.

And don't bother with paying me back. Despite the disagreements, you guys are extended family.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
11 Jun 2020 17:25 #311074 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Coronavirus
We still don't have a vaccine, so I'm still taking precautions against COVID-19. To be honest, even if and when we get a vaccine, I may wait a few weeks before getting it, because I suspect that such a vaccine will have been rushed through the process and potentially harmful. I am very pro-vaccine, and I have also been getting an annual flu shot in recent years. I just don't want to be a guinea pig if some safety protocols or testing get skipped.

Since mid-March, the only interaction I have had with other human beings has going to work, plus the occasional trip to the grocery store. Since maybe mid-April, I have worn a mask during all of those interactions. Since the beginning of June, our governor deemed it sake for people to get a haircut and go to the dentist, under new safety protocols for both of those circumstances. So I will be tending to those matters, though much later than some folks. I scheduled a haircut for mid-July, and a dental appointment for early-August. However, my gym re-opens this Saturday, and I don't feel ready to go back yet. I have been going to the gym an average of three times a week since 1991, but it feels too risky right now and I have stayed surprisingly fit with a modest amount of body weight exercises, some running, and a lot of yardwork.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Frohike

More
12 Jun 2020 08:14 #311085 by Ah_Pook
Replied by Ah_Pook on topic Coronavirus

More
12 Jun 2020 14:14 - 12 Jun 2020 14:16 #311099 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Coronavirus
In AZ, our lead health person basically gave the "you gotta break a few eggs" speech yesterday to everyone. So it looks like the long-term policy is giving up. No contact tracing has been performed in AZ and it looks like it will not be.

I know I'm pounding on about this, but we all have to live in the same country so the federal inaction on this, to say nothing of the irresponsbility in some states, is absolutely just pure murder ethically, to me. It is particularly indefensible at the federal level because the federal government can issue debt and has a 0 interest rate, so we could create large programs that look something like the most successful ones in similar countries like, say, Germany.
Last edit: 12 Jun 2020 14:16 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Shellhead, Frohike

More
12 Jun 2020 14:36 #311102 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Coronavirus

Gary Sax wrote: In AZ, our lead health person basically gave the "you gotta break a few eggs" speech yesterday to everyone. So it looks like the long-term policy is giving up. No contact tracing has been performed in AZ and it looks like it will not be.

I know I'm pounding on about this, but we all have to live in the same country so the federal inaction on this, to say nothing of the irresponsbility in some states, is absolutely just pure murder ethically, to me. It is particularly indefensible at the federal level because the federal government can issue debt and has a 0 interest rate, so we could create large programs that look something like the most successful ones in similar countries like, say, Germany.

I'm of the opinion that the Federal Government is no longer capable of providing the kind of response you're looking for. I agree with you in every way, but I think the people in positions to carry out this sort of policy aren't qualified to do so, part of the reason they're there in the first place.

I will observe that the US Government went from the first Mercury flight to successful Moon landing in less time than we went from the last Shuttle flight to first launch of a man back into space.

USA will look incompetent to the rest of the world until further notice.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Gary Sax, Frohike

More
12 Jun 2020 14:47 #311103 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Coronavirus
I don't disagree with you. I think US state capacity to perform a large number of functions is actually quite a bit lower than many other comparable developed countries.

That said, even just funneling money *to* states to prevent massive austerity and creating programs to force them to greatly beef up their testing and tracing using federal money would have been inefficient but at least might have made some difference.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.021 seconds