October 09, 2023
2218 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2438 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

Minneapolis is a Warzone

More
30 May 2020 19:26 #310811 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Minneapolis is a Warzone
@charlest

I heard a rumor that Homeland Security has been investigating possible foreign connections to the Boogaloo and /k/ groups. They might actually be able to get somewhere on this as they are no longer exclusively on 4chan /k/ and have been agitating and organizing in various Facebook /k/, Big Igloo, Big Luau, etc. groups.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, mrspank, Frohike, charlest

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 May 2020 20:45 #310814 by n815e
Replied by n815e on topic Minneapolis is a Warzone
People are fed up.
They are tired of racism. They are tired of watching bad cops get away with murder by a system designed to protect them. I’m not disparaging all cops or even most, there are a very small few who do a lot of damage.

But people are also unemployed and unhappy.
People are dying from a pandemic.
People have been stuck inside without venting their anger, frustration, anxiety.

People are upset because the social divide is getting worse.

People are deeply politically divided and see each other as enemies.

People are getting information fed to them by foreign governments that look to sow chaos and organizations that want to increase tensions.

It doesn’t surprise me that there are protests and violence.

It just makes me sad.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mrspank, Frohike

More
30 May 2020 20:50 #310815 by bfkiller
Replied by bfkiller on topic Minneapolis is a Warzone
Watching footage of the protests (mostly in the states but also in Toronto) makes me nervous for the explosion of COVID cases this will cause in a couple of weeks. Just a heartbreaking situation on all accounts.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, n815e

More
31 May 2020 17:41 #310826 by Erik Twice
Replied by Erik Twice on topic Minneapolis is a Warzone
I have no words.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Frohike

More
31 May 2020 22:33 #310827 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Minneapolis is a Warzone
"U.S. forces should not be blamed for the lawlessness and looting in Baghdad as it is a natural consequence of the transition from a dictatorship to a free country." -- Donald Rumsfeld
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, jeb, mrspank, Frohike, Andi Lennon

More
01 Jun 2020 11:00 #310831 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Minneapolis is a Warzone
10M people under curfew here in LA County. Ten million. Because police can't be bothered to stop murdering black people. Pass a bad check? Murdered. Reach for your wallet? Murdered. Inform them you have a carry permit? Murdered. Play at a park? Murdered. Sell some cigarettes? Murdered.

How is this different from whistled at a woman or got hired at the meatpacking plant, which is what would get black people murdered in the "community policing model?"

George Floyd got murdered. He said he was being murdered. Witnesses said he was being murdered and videoed the murder and then when he was dead, nothing happened for days because they "needed evidence." Go kneel on someone's neck for nine minutes on camera and see how long you get to live in your house while they gather evidence.

There were about 20 protesters at a local intersection near here. That's about all we can muster in this privileged community. They would kneel in front of cars when the light was red, then move back to the sidewalk when it turned green. They had some BLM signs. There is a mall about a quarter mile away that was closed as a precaution, because FB posts from far-right booglaoos said there would be a riot and looting there. It was 20 kids with signs, a quarter mile away. A car pulled over near them. Fired a taser at a 16yo girl, sprayed her with pepper spray, and yelled, "ALL LIVES MATTER NOT BLACK LIVES!" as they drove away.

What the fuck is wrong with us?
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Matt Thrower, jay718, mrspank, Frohike, Pugnax555, Varys, n815e, Andi Lennon

More
01 Jun 2020 11:44 #310833 by Ah_Pook
Replied by Ah_Pook on topic Minneapolis is a Warzone
They're have been some pretty intense protests downtown where I live the past couple nights, which isn't that far from where I live. Last night a guy a block up the road from me decided to set off a bunch of very loud fireworks, so I'm sitting in my house wondering if things are breaking extremely bad and downtown is turning into a huge gun fight. Cops came and shut him down like wtf dude. I'm too stressed out for fireworks to exist atm.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, mrspank, Frohike, n815e

More
01 Jun 2020 11:45 #310834 by hotseatgames
Racists see their power dwindling, and will do anything to keep holding it.

Identify all Cops shown this week committing acts of violence. CONVICT them.
Fire the Racist in Chief.
Tear down all Confederate monuments.
Ban the Confederate Flag and all of its variants.

For a start.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Shellhead, mrspank, Ancient_of_MuMu, Frohike, Pugnax555, Varys, n815e, Andi Lennon

More
01 Jun 2020 11:58 #310835 by Shellhead
I have been avoiding the riots, staying home and social distancing. I oppose the violence, the looting, and the arson, except that I'm glad that the Minneapolis 3rd Precinct station got burned down. Unless at least 25% of the MPD are bad cops, the odds become astronomical that four out of four cops dealing with George Floyd are bad cops. Burning down their station sends a strong message that the community will no longer tolerate a department that has gone rotten to this extent.

Based on facebook posts from my local friends, there has been a definite shift in recent activity near Lake Street. Vehicles without license plates have been driving around South Minneapolis and sometimes North Minneapolis. The occupants sometimes get out and either leave threatening notes on parked cards, or deposit trash bags of flammable materials in the alleys behind houses. Some are wearing black clothing and others have Hawaiian shirts, and they often have black tactical backpacks and guns.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Frohike

More
01 Jun 2020 12:12 #310836 by Gregarius
Replied by Gregarius on topic Minneapolis is a Warzone
I'm very thankful that so far, here in Houston, our protests have stayed peaceful. It helps that we have a black mayor. It helps that we have an Hispanic chief of police who marched *with* the protestors. I'm concerned about what will happen when Floyd's body is brought back for burial. I can only hope that they are keeping a sharp eye out for the agitators with a different agenda.

I only just this weekend learned about the Bugaloos and the Hawaiian shirt thing. It pisses me off. Why does some group always have to co-opt something innocent and fun and make it hateful? My avatar on countless sites has been a Hawaiian shirt for decades. Am I now going to associated with those wackos?
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, jeb, Frohike, n815e

More
01 Jun 2020 12:46 #310840 by Shellhead

Gregarius wrote: I'm very thankful that so far, here in Houston, our protests have stayed peaceful. It helps that we have a black mayor. It helps that we have an Hispanic chief of police who marched *with* the protestors. I'm concerned about what will happen when Floyd's body is brought back for burial. I can only hope that they are keeping a sharp eye out for the agitators with a different agenda.

I only just this weekend learned about the Bugaloos and the Hawaiian shirt thing. It pisses me off. Why does some group always have to co-opt something innocent and fun and make it hateful? My avatar on countless sites has been a Hawaiian shirt for decades. Am I now going to associated with those wackos?

Same here, I am worried about the reaction in Houston when George Floyd's body arrives there. And I have been an occasional wearer of Hawaiian shirts ever since college, and I also just learned this weekend about how they have been adopted by the Boogaloo movement.

I'm finally starting to feel anxious about the overall situation. There have been a few fires and looting incidents at businesses within blocks of my home. A mixed race household just one mile from my home got a threatening note. And the local grocery store is boarded up, with vehicles parked to block the entrances. A friend of mine was at the protest where the truck driver tried to run down protesters with his gas tanker truck. Yes, the protesters were on a highway, but the highway had been closed to traffic for an hour before the incident. I feel like we are taking steps towards another civil war.

This morning, I was driving to my job just north of the northern suburbs. I saw a woman driving a small sedan slowly, rolling up in the left turn lane at a red light. Behind her, a ridiculously jacked-up pickup truck was lurching on and off the brakes, right on her bumper, while laying on the horn. I had to fight temptation to pull into that lane and confront the asshole. At 54, I'm a little too old for streetfighting now, and I don't feel like I can trust the cops to do the right thing if they are called in. So I drove past slowly, honking and flipping off the pickup driver to express my displeasure. But for all I know, he followed that woman to her home or workplace and attacked her. I drove on to work, grimly contemplating the rapid decline of our society. I feel like I should have done something, but my girlfriend and my cat need me too much right now for me to throw away my life in an attempt to play hero. By the time I got to work, I thought of things that I should have done. But in the heat of the moment, my only thought was to grab a tire iron and smash in his windows. Then I visualized getting shot and dying there. So I drove on.

I'm at work right now, but I can't focus. I've got several things on my desk that I need to address before I leave, and I keep switching tasks and leaving things half done. But I need to get it all done before tomorrow, when I prepare the payroll for our 100+ employees in four states.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, jeb, Gary Sax, Frohike, sornars

More
01 Jun 2020 14:05 - 01 Jun 2020 14:08 #310843 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Minneapolis is a Warzone
The New York Times has an excellent video explanation of the incident, and it corrects some misconceptions (assuming it's right of course). He wasn't accused of passing a bad check, he was accused of paying with a counterfeit bill.

One of my take-aways from the video-article was that the guy indicted for killing him was an add-on. He wasn't the original officer dealing with the guy. He showed up late, and then took charge physically, which might be some insight into his mindset. His partner who also has a prior incident with excessive violence, stood there the whole time with . . . not kidding, his hands in his pockets, like he was waiting in line at the cleaners. Cops are trained to take charge and present an image of authority. This guy looked like Lou Costello. I don't think I've ever seen a cop with his hands in his pockets and I used to work with them.

There's a lot of psychological study of workplace hierarchy, a big topic after the Tenerife Air Disaster where the copilot let the pilot dominate him at the controls and crash one 747 into another. I'd wager this guy Chauvin has spent his career showing up and alpha-dogging situations like this, though that's just speculation. I don't know any more than anyone else.

The video is worth a review. It's not just the raw feeds, it's an analysis.
Last edit: 01 Jun 2020 14:08 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Gary Sax, Varys

More
01 Jun 2020 14:15 #310845 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Minneapolis is a Warzone
@Shellhead

That's horrible. I worry about you, and everyone else in these war zones. Stay safe.

More
01 Jun 2020 20:09 #310859 by dysjunct
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike, Ah_Pook

More
02 Jun 2020 02:29 - 02 Jun 2020 02:49 #310865 by bfkiller
Replied by bfkiller on topic Minneapolis is a Warzone
Having a calm crowd dispersed with tear gas and rubber bullets to enable an eye-rolling photo op is maybe the most despicable / pathetic act Trump has done in a long, long list of despicable / pathetic acts. It blows my mind that more Republicans don't denounce that prick.
Last edit: 02 Jun 2020 02:49 by bfkiller.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, mrspank, Frohike, sornars, Gregarius, BillyBobThwarton, n815e, Andi Lennon

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.233 seconds