October 09, 2023
2520 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2721 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Arkham Horror: The Card Game

More
09 Dec 2021 19:50 #328651 by DarthJoJo
I don’t mind the enormous boxes, but only because my current player card boxes will be too small after the next cycle and will be transferred to these.

I’d be surprised if they end the Return line. Seems like high profit for a week of work from MJ and Jeremy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, sornars

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Dec 2021 19:54 #328652 by Gary Sax
They'll definitely do the Return line some more, I think, but maybe not in that box format.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars

More
14 Dec 2021 13:40 #328782 by Kmann
Replied by Kmann on topic Arkham Horror: The Card Game
I was very into the new box size as an easy storage solution but as I've thought about it more I'm not sure how feasible that will be in the long run. They look cool but once I've picked up a few campaigns that's a lot of shelf space being used up. Especially as you can't store them vertically like a book once they're filled with cards.
But I'm not going to worry about it for a long while. They're very usable and I'm glad FFG made an effort.
What would have been amazing is if they'd released the campaigns in the Return To style boxes. A really great storage solution and one that would have paved the way for the Return To content to come out in a blister pack. But I guess that would have meant cannibalizing their own product line and downgrading the swish new campaign books to not be quite so deluxe.
As an aside I kinda wish the Marvel Champions campaign boxes were Return To shaped. These look very cool but the squat square is a really odd shape to stack nicely on the shelf.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Gary Sax, sornars

More
15 Dec 2021 23:48 - 16 Dec 2021 00:26 #328814 by Gary Sax
My partner asked if we can play this which was kind of a big surprise as I'd moved it to solo and 2p TTS mode.

Still going with a huge fight Tony for me and her with Trish so she can both get clues which she prefers and evade easily which avoids her getting pinned in an engage situation.

Have never played two rogues before.
Last edit: 16 Dec 2021 00:26 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars, DarthJoJo

More
22 Dec 2021 14:46 #328997 by Gary Sax
Did the Arkham Forgotten Age mission with my partner. It's interesting, there have been these moments when she took damage, got punched, had to throw away an asset where you could see it start to annoy her... until she looked down at her hand and tableau in play and had actual solutions to the problems they created. I don't think we'd still be playing without these good net decks with a lot of card options, I could see the points when she'd stop. She LOVES the xp spending process though and forgotten age is real good about that.

We ended up running the table on the Arkham mission, beating all the acts with time to spare... still a real good mission in that "go about the town for different stuff" genre they like to return to. Part of our success was that all roads ended at the town hall, so two of the missions required clearing the town hall and had no clue refresh instructions.

More
30 Dec 2021 20:01 #329153 by DarthJoJo
Parallel Wendy and her unique scenario dropped today. Love to see the belly flop into cure and bless play. Little disappointed that she’s nearly just a better Mateo.

www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2021/...0/red-tide-rising-1/

More
30 Dec 2021 20:22 #329155 by Gary Sax
That's a really fun character.

Yeah, Father Mateo might be one of the flat out most boring characters. The only thing interesting about him is the blessed deck building options.

More
30 Dec 2021 21:02 #329156 by DarthJoJo
I like Mateo, but I do have a perverse streak that demands I play underpowered investigators like him and original Skids.

I just don’t like that Wendy has his trait access but inarguably better. Access to Fey and Blasphemous Covenant and the mystic curse suite and an innate curse draw is bonkers too. At least she’s more interesting than her original incarnation.

More
05 Jan 2022 09:11 #329364 by edulis
Replied by edulis on topic Arkham Horror: The Card Game
I recently purchased a used copy of the core games and a handful of the first expansions (Big Dunwich and first 4 mythos decks). I've played night of the Zealot twice and my question is when playing solo, do most people play a single investigator or play with two decks/ investigators? It feels like the game needs a fighter and investigator.

I've played a lot of solo Arkham Horror 2nd edition board game, typically using 3 investigators and I am really liking the card game. Card game tells better stories and so much faster to set up and put away!
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Gary Sax, sornars

More
05 Jan 2022 10:13 - 05 Jan 2022 10:38 #329365 by Gary Sax
I greatly prefer 2 handed. It's manageable solo.

Some people like "true solo" but it really puts a tight straitjacket on your options and it makes some cards and investigators unplayable.

Welcome aboard and ask any questions you have, I was you 8 months ago.

Also! Product-wise grab the last of those Dunwich mythos packs when you can as a priority---they are changing the way the products are sold with reprints and you don't want to be caught holding the bag with a half completed campaign when they change to one box with investigators cards and one box with an entire cycle's campaign cards.

pps we talk a fair amount of arkham lcg on my discord if you have rules questions and stuff that need quick answers, I got a lot of advice from the better players here last year. Here's an exploding invite if that sounds interesting: discord.gg/WQPFc5cR
Last edit: 05 Jan 2022 10:38 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: edulis, sornars, DarthJoJo

More
05 Jan 2022 10:49 #329367 by edulis
Replied by edulis on topic Arkham Horror: The Card Game
Thanks Gary-

I think I'll try it double fisted next time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
05 Jan 2022 15:13 - 05 Jan 2022 15:14 #329395 by Gary Sax
My spouse and I just went through Depths of Yoth. We are absolutely over the curve completely, the big bad didn't even appear before we jetted. Since Yoth is kind of a long scenario she got her entire engine of crazy shit as Trish out---pickpocket, obfuscate, lockpicks, burglary, Leo, Milan... she has this serious attraction to extremely expensive cards she had to learn way in to a big resource generation deck. Luckily she is playing Rogue. Trish is over the top strong with this much XP on easy.

I also got my engine going, though my deck is crying for some of the money decisions my spouse made. I shot the 2vp massive hunter enemy in the last level in one turn---walked over two locations, used bruiser to pump sawed off shotgun for 5 damage, then quick shot the enemy with Tony's signature in a quick draw holster. I don't think quick draw holster is actually that good, requires too much setup, but it is a lot of fun.
Last edit: 05 Jan 2022 15:14 by Gary Sax.

More
05 Jan 2022 15:18 #329397 by DarthJoJo
She must be enjoying herself more if she has stuck through Depths. Better deck is helping?

More
05 Jan 2022 16:14 #329405 by Gary Sax
Absolute night and day difference, it's not hitting original Arkham Horror 2nd edition heights but she's suggesting to play it and everything.

I think the Trish suggestion (yours maybe?) was incredible because evade as your 2nd strength feels good as a way to get away from stuff and not just stuck taking attacks of opportunity---which was one of her frustrations with the game.

I also went with a fight/soak monster Tony so I tend to just pull many monsters she receives and prevent that feeling too. The Lonnie/Mementos from the past or future combo is just incredible. It's almost impossible to do enough damage to defeat Tony setup that way since both of those healing powers are instant triggers on items with 3 health/3 horror and 2 health 3 horror respectively.

More
09 Jan 2022 23:27 #329585 by Gary Sax
I played War of the Outer Gods standalone and I cannot help it, I am a total sucker for enemies fighting. Feels like a first draft for something incredible, previously the conflicts between two sides (eg Forgotten Age or Circle) has been thematic but not mechanical like this. I also think it looks great with the three hued sets of cards clashing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.312 seconds