October 09, 2023
2518 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2720 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Arkham Horror: The Card Game

More
17 Mar 2022 06:46 - 17 Mar 2022 10:34 #331668 by sornars
Gary Sax and I did another round of Edge of the Earth and it went wrong in all of the ways Arkham can go wrong. We drew the Autofail token many times and always for key tests where it was the only token that could've impeded our progress. It ended poorly for us. This scenario
Warning: Spoiler!

I appreciate the designers making Charon's Obol a genuine risk to use, it has usually felt like a pretty low risk thing to take even if you fail a scenario. As a direct result, my finally up and running Exceptional Bob deck is now dead. I also like how by making the optional scenarios challenging and punishing, EotE makes the decision of whether or not to do a scenario a meaningful one. Our doomed expedition is now looking a little more doomed but we fortunately found Ashcan Pete lurking in the wreckage and him and Duke are now ready to join the team.
Last edit: 17 Mar 2022 10:34 by sornars.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Gary Sax, DarthJoJo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Mar 2022 22:46 - 18 Mar 2022 22:48 #331731 by Gary Sax
I could try to articulate how soul crushing sornars and I's last several scenarios of Edge of the Earth were, but it wouldn't do it justice.

Edge of the Earth is really good, very exciting directions in it.

When Wini eats a red tentacle it is truly savage. You lose your Opportunists and can't take any of your on success triggers and are left with nothing in your hand.
Last edit: 18 Mar 2022 22:48 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars, DarthJoJo

More
18 Mar 2022 22:57 #331732 by DarthJoJo
That’s why I really like Mateo as a partner for her. A tentacle pull for Wini is very often a huge tempo blow, more so than most, and the good father can offer mitigation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, sornars

More
13 Apr 2022 18:58 - 13 Apr 2022 18:59 #332288 by Gary Sax
Sornars and I came back at Edge of the Earth... end up doing two scenarios. It is definitely growing in my appreciation a lot. I don't think it's an ideal first campaign for new people simply because it is somewhat complicated as an initial barrier to entry at scenario setup. But it's really nicely tuned, I think, and it cares about its characters and the relationships which is a newish thing for Arkham Horror. I had a lot more fun this second time because I vaguely knew the outline of the rules thematically---and we did a little bit better, which helps. The scenarios were also somewhat brief when I didn't have to figure as much stuff out, we were in and out of two scenarios in like 2 1/2-3 hours or so.

The checkpoint continuation rules are deeply ambiguous and underbaked though. Real guess how they're supposed to work stuff, though I suppose it could be that if you took every rule and set them end to end in all the relevant sections it would work right.
Last edit: 13 Apr 2022 18:59 by Gary Sax.

More
27 Apr 2022 14:31 #332608 by Gary Sax
Out of the Void with all the alternate investigator signatures is back up on gamezenter. It's probably the biggest bang for your buck of these expensive pnp promo sets---it even has a promo investigator (Gloria).

I picked it up along with curse of the werewolf and carnivale scenario packs to complete my AH set.

More
06 May 2022 14:58 - 06 May 2022 15:01 #332857 by DarthJoJo
https://mobile.twitter.com/FFGames/status/1522618269080952833

Fantasy Flight officially announced on Twitter that the next campaign will be Scarlet Keys with a brief video. Looks like the investigators will be Vincent Lee, Darrel Simmons, Charlie Kane, Carson Sinclair and two originals. More to follow this summer. It’s not much, but it’s something.
Last edit: 06 May 2022 15:01 by DarthJoJo.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Gary Sax, sornars

More
06 May 2022 15:01 #332858 by sornars
Charlie Kane! I’m super interested to see how he turns out. I really hope Vincent won’t just be the health version of Caroline.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
07 May 2022 12:43 - 07 May 2022 12:46 #332880 by ubarose

Gary Sax wrote: Out of the Void with all the alternate investigator signatures is back up on gamezenter. It's probably the biggest bang for your buck of these expensive pnp promo sets---it even has a promo investigator (Gloria).

Despite playing at least once a week, I’m not in deep enough to understand what you are talking about, other than it sounds like more ways to be tempted to spend money. So I guess I’m thankful that I don’t know anything about pnp promos or alternate investigators.
Last edit: 07 May 2022 12:46 by ubarose.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars

More
07 May 2022 17:06 #332882 by Gary Sax
Yeah, they aren't very necessary.

shop.gamezenter.com/collections/arkham-h...id-investigator-pack

Basically, they're a bunch of alternative signature weakness/bonus combinations for a number of investigators: Dexter Drake, Silas, Jenny Barnes, Carolyn Fern, Norman Withers. It also includes a new investigator, Gloria Goldberg the author.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
13 May 2022 12:28 #333020 by ubarose
About halfway through Return to the Circle Undone (Al playing Jim and me playing Harvey Walters) and we decided to try playing two characters each. I brought in Winnie, and Al brought in Nate (both at starting level). It was so much fun.

With two inexperienced investigators on the team, we had a lot of close calls, and made it out by the skin of our teeth. On the last few turns Walters was down to a hand of crap, and considered resigning, but, changed his mind when he saw his friend Jim was in trouble. He threw himself into the fray essentially as a meat shield. Winnie (who we decided is Walters’ niece) tried to help, but arrived too late, finding her dear uncle in a near catatonic state muttering incoherently (defeated, permanent mental trauma). She came close to cracking herself, but Jim fortified her with a swig from his thermos, then took off towards the west to put the magical smack down on the last target. Winnie was able to keep the Spectral Watcher distracted by repeatedly evading it, while Nate held off a swarm of monsters to the south.

Playing two very different investors was really fun, though managing two at the same time did slow things down a bit, and I sometimes got a bit confused and forgot things. I was also willing to take more risks and consider resigning, since a defeated or resigned investor didn’t put me out of the game.Looking forward to the next scenario with our new team.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, sornars, DarthJoJo, Kmann, Dive-Dive-Dive!

More
13 May 2022 12:55 #333021 by Gary Sax
That's awesome. I've never done it but the 4p play space would be really cool, you can even do support builds or go in niche directions. One of my minor beefs with 2p is that it limits roles quite a bit.

How are you enjoying Return to Circle?
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
13 May 2022 15:13 #333024 by ubarose
I really like Return to Circle. It has an alternative narrative that makes it feel like a very different story. The tarot cards add a fun twist.

I leaned in hard to niche/support build for Winnie. She essentially runs interference for the other investigators by engaging and evading enemies, so Jim and Walter can progress more quickly through the scenario, with Nate cleaning up the monsters behind them.

The Walters/Winnie combo also worked out well for playing two investigators at the same time because, the way I built their decks, Walters is most active during the first half of the game, while Winnie is most active during the second half. This made playing two characters easier to manage.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, sornars, DarthJoJo

More
13 May 2022 17:10 #333030 by DarthJoJo
Harvey and Wini have a nice synergy, too, as his draw passive can trigger on her commit to draw passive and keep her hand super full.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Gary Sax, sornars

More
13 May 2022 17:51 #333031 by ubarose

DarthJoJo wrote: Harvey and Wini have a nice synergy, too, as his draw passive can trigger on her commit to draw passive and keep her hand super full.

Yes! And I didn’t take advantage of that as much as I should have.

More
16 May 2022 11:01 - 16 May 2022 11:01 #333077 by ubarose
Played two fisted again. It went a bit smoother this time, although I feel I’m still very slow playing Winnie. I know the seeker cards so well I don’t need to read them, but still learning the rouge cards. Also, Winnie’s deck tends to create chains, which I am still working on sequencing correctly.

I’m developing an affection for this team, the way you do for characters in a book or TV series. I think Walters and Dr. Christopher may be life partners. Winnie sometimes calls her uncle Harvey “Colonel,” but neither will explain why. And why does Winnie have so many criminal connections? I will just have to wait and see.
Last edit: 16 May 2022 11:01 by ubarose.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mads b., Gary Sax, sornars, DarthJoJo, Kmann

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.501 seconds