October 09, 2023
2518 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2720 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Arkham Horror: The Card Game

More
02 Feb 2022 09:32 #330352 by DarthJoJo
Gamezenter is selling a pack of all the novella investigators with their signatures now, in addition to the parallel packs.

shop.gamezenter.com/products/arkham-horr...bmMKbvVWqriikLRP03a4
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, sornars, Kmann

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Feb 2022 14:05 #330435 by Gary Sax
Sornars and I just did our first play of the first Edge of the Earth scenario. No hints or spoilers or anything, but you can tell how freeing it was for them to move out of the previous product format when designing it.

Even if this one just ends up being ok, even the first scenario and its aftermath show how creative and exciting they can get moving forward. Super promising for the game imo.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars, DarthJoJo, Kmann

More
09 Feb 2022 16:55 #330630 by DarthJoJo
Anyone interested in a copy of Machinations Through Time, the latest massive multiplayer scenario? I got my copy at Arkham Nights but forgot to cancel my Covenant order. I can get in the mail tomorrow.

More
09 Feb 2022 19:52 #330637 by Gary Sax
It accommodates single table too fwiw.

More
11 Feb 2022 12:32 #330689 by Gary Sax
Real chef's kiss moments in the second scenario of Edge of the Earth, just a ton of fun with a pretty straightforward scenario. Double pistol Wini is fun as heck. Liked it a lot better than the first scenario, which was decent. Arkham LCG at its absolute best.

Sornars and I were discussing it after the game. You could do it, but I don't think Edge of the Earth shuold be your first campaign imo if you want to get into the game enjoyably. It has too many extraneous campaign moving parts---you need mastery of the system first. I can't get behind people who say buy whatever campaign you want as a first shot---returning to Carcosa and Dunwich I really think those are your best bets for starters. I think Dream Eaters also works if it wasn't for the assemble/reassemble decks problem---especially the waking campaign is utterly straightforward.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars, DarthJoJo

More
11 Feb 2022 12:44 - 11 Feb 2022 12:47 #330691 by sornars

Gary Sax wrote: Real chef's kiss moments in the second third scenario of Edge of the Earth, just a ton of fun with a pretty straightforward scenario. Double pistol Wini is fun as heck. Liked it a lot better than the first scenario, which was decent. Arkham LCG at its absolute best.

Just correcting the fact that it's actually the third part of the first scenario; not to be a pedant, but only to demonstrate the fact that everyone's playthrough of this is going to be unique depending on the choices you make, the order in which you do scenarios, etc. All of this variability really makes the campaign feel alive and dynamic rather than the CYOA style where I'd try to exhaust every possibility of a campaign in a systematic way. Here I know it's (almost) impossible so I'm happy to just go along for the ride.

Another part of our discussion was how this scenario really showed the growth of the designers. There are so many instances of the designers building upon old concepts but doing them better on display here. The semi-permanent treacheries are almost as difficult as the ones in TCU but are very thematic and feel much less frustrating to deal with. The locations interacting with the frost tokens make them a risk you tend to underestimate, much like an explorer might and feel more fun than the curse tokens. The choices you make in the interludes are like the supplies system but actually fun. Two scenarios in and I have a strong suspicion that this campaign will rank up there amongst the best of them.

Their greatest achievement is:
Warning: Spoiler!
Last edit: 11 Feb 2022 12:47 by sornars.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, DarthJoJo

More
11 Feb 2022 12:47 #330693 by Gary Sax
Right you are---which scenario it is, as we're discovering, is very contextual to your group!

More
13 Feb 2022 23:39 #330748 by Kmann
Replied by Kmann on topic Arkham Horror: The Card Game
This past week I finally returned to my Return to Dunwich campaign after pausing it for the holidays.

Doom was indeed awaiting when I rejoined Where Doom Awaits. I'd previously failed two attempts and sadly nothing has changed in the new year; Skids and Jim continue to get smacked down

I have a couple of big problems. Firstly, I'm gonna blame my tools & say the decks are pretty bad. When I started I only loosely (and quickly) modified their starter decks from the manual so they're... not great. Jim is also only starting with 3 resources thanks to a weakness he picked up along the way so that's not particularly helpful.

The decks got me this far so they're not utterly terrible but both are coming up short in this scenario

It's been a fun campaign but I've only got one last attempt in me so this may very well be the end of the road for old Jim and Skids.

In other Arkham news, I got an email this week saying my Edge of the Earth order has been delayed until Quarter 2 so I've taken another mental trauma.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, sornars, DarthJoJo

More
13 Feb 2022 23:44 - 14 Feb 2022 11:24 #330749 by Gary Sax
Those enemies are tough, kmann, because they hard counter certain fight builds and if you're fucked there isn't much you can do about it, you built one direction.

That freaking sucks on Edge!
Last edit: 14 Feb 2022 11:24 by Gary Sax.

More
14 Feb 2022 11:11 #330752 by DarthJoJo
It pains me to say because I personally enjoy Skids a lot, but Jim and him are both on the lower end of the power curve, especially with the suggested lists. Dunwich is definitely doable with them, if you lean into evasion Skids can even manage the abominations alright, but it takes more effort in deck building.

Happy to offer my thoughts here or on the Discord, if you want them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars

More
16 Feb 2022 12:50 #330811 by Gary Sax
What are everyone's takes on when you start to pile too much mental trauma on? Marie has 4 mental trauma about midway through Carcosa (maybe taking 2 ancestral knowledge wasn't a good idea)... I was thinking fearless lvl 2 to replace a couple things? I guess mystic soak is an option too.

On a sidenote, abyssal tome is a nicer card for her than I initially thought as long as you have sacrifice and moonlight ritual in your deck, it's as flexible as david renfield adding doom as soon as a new agenda ticks up and can do 1 action 3 damage in a pinch if you have a long agenda.

More
16 Feb 2022 13:14 #330814 by DarthJoJo
Fearless is a fine option. More allies since mystic allies tend to have higher sanity, too.

I generally wouldn’t worry that much since Marie has a reasonably high will to counter horror treacheries, but Carcosa applies a lot of horror pressure. You don’t want to get caught in a death spiral where you get knocked out in the third round over the next two scenarios.

Nothing wrong with retiring her for a fresh face mid campaign.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, sornars

More
24 Feb 2022 14:55 #331037 by sornars
www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2022/...retreading-the-path/

We knew it was coming but it’s good to see they’re rolling these out at a pretty aggressive pace! It’s a great time to be a newcomer!

More
24 Feb 2022 16:01 - 24 Feb 2022 16:01 #331042 by Gary Sax
Very exciting, glad people will have this option.
Last edit: 24 Feb 2022 16:01 by Gary Sax.

More
02 Mar 2022 12:40 #331203 by Gary Sax
Enjoying edge of the earth quite a bit, think it's pretty well designed. We just did the repeatable scenario, I was worried it would be like the one from the Forgotten Age, but I liked it a lot better than that one because there is a ton of variety and more focused goals with some new stuff that doesn't repeat.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars, DarthJoJo

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.361 seconds