October 09, 2023
2514 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2713 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Welcome to one of the oldest board game communities on the Internet. That may sound like hyperbole but it really is true.

We are really happy to have you here. Unfortunately, being online we can't bond with you over a game so you'd know right away how happy we are to meet you. For now, you'll just have to take our word for it.

This site has always thrived on lively discussion and spirited but civil debate. We hope that newcomers here will find a welcoming atmosphere where game enthusiasts of all levels of experience and commitment will have something to add to the conversation. You never need to prove your “gamer cred” here. Whether you have been playing board games for a few months or a few decades; whether you have a huge collection or a small one; whether you have been a member here for years or just joined today – your opinion is valued here.

We know that it can be intimidating to jump into a new community and want to assure you that this is NOT the kind of forum where people will tell you that you posted something in the wrong place, or that you should have found an existing thread on the topic, or that you shouldn’t have resurrected an old thread.

So if you find a thread or an article discussion that interests you, whether it is old or new, feel free to jump in. Want to discuss a specific game or board gaming related topic just start a new topic. If you don’t know which forum to put it in, just make your best guess (we really don’t care all that much. It’s easy enough for a moderator to move it or merge it, if necessary).

A good place to get started is by introducing yourself in the “New Members Introduce Yourself” thread (below) or by telling us what you have been playing in the “What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing?" thread ( therewillbe.games/forum/35-mos-eisley-ca...ave-you-been-playing ).

Have fun, and we look forward to hearing from you.

New Members Introduce Yourself

More
21 Sep 2011 15:57 - 21 Sep 2011 15:58 #103992 by SaMoKo
JCFucktard is like a long running Spock joke I think. But he comes across more like a Tim Burtonesque extreme portrayal of Aspergers syndrome. It's beautiful in a way.

I like you. You had me at red balls popping out of Octavian's ass.
Last edit: 21 Sep 2011 15:58 by SaMoKo.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bomber

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Sep 2011 16:00 #103993 by Black Barney
I like you too. You sound like a relative of Pete (Superflyflynt or whatever) or something. Awesome.

You gotta link us that thread we can go to for some laughs.

What a great story. Your analogy of high school prefect is PERFECT.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete, bomber

More
21 Sep 2011 17:31 - 21 Sep 2011 17:39 #104000 by edulis
Hey all-

I'm Jon in Minnesota. I also have been lurking for awhile. I stumbled on F:AT after work filters stopped allowing me to access BGG. Although I do find F:AT more enjoyable and often good for a laugh.

I have a wide taste in games (Arkham Horror, Hammer of the Scots, Various minis- Warmachine, Legends of the Old West, Tombstoens & Tumbleweeds- Battlestations, Agricola, I used to run Deadlands RPGs before I had kids- really whatever someone is willing to play- except Citadals, that game is retarded) but have a hard time finding opponets- other than my 8 year old daughter, oh and I played a game of Dr. Hedgehog with my 3 year old last night, until she put the game away because I would not let her cheat *sigh* Damn it if the dice rolls an apple you take an apple, you do not cahnge the dice to show the fuckin' mouse!

So if there are other people in the North Metro area looking for FtF games...

Other than boardgames I play rugby and soccer and occansionally brew beer and collect wild mushrooms.
Last edit: 21 Sep 2011 17:39 by edulis.

More
21 Sep 2011 18:05 #104003 by jeb
Welcome, I hope. Who's going to last longer? ldsdbomber looks about due for a stroke and edulis is eating random fungi.

More
21 Sep 2011 19:53 - 21 Sep 2011 19:53 #104006 by Notahandle
Ancient_of_MuMu wrote: " The Expanding Man is in Perth."
But sadly seems rather quiet in the forums of late.

ldsdbomber wrote: " [TOSrant]"
Sounds familiar, Octavian always was a two-faced moderator. They probably had the same drama creeps turn out when I deleted all my stuff. I assume I'm perma-banned but have never bothered to find out. Loved the Minority Report imagery, I guess they have to give the lowly adminions something to do... (I love the derogatory name, adminions, yet somehow TOS gets an endless supply of brown-nosing wannabes hoping to be promoted to the ranks.) Welcome to the fort.
Last edit: 21 Sep 2011 19:53 by Notahandle.

More
21 Sep 2011 20:12 #104008 by SuperflyPete

Black Barney wrote: I like you too. You sound like a relative of Pete (Superflyflynt or whatever) or something. Awesome.

I don't know about all that, but I surely want to get that avatar and make it my site's new logo. It's epic.

Welcome, Lee, to the kingdom of lost toys. Much better here.

More
21 Sep 2011 20:17 #104009 by mikecl
I just joined after running into JonJacob on BGG. It didn't hurt that I'm an old time Ameritrasher I'm also a fantasy and sci-fi fan who has been playing boardgames since the 1970s. I like games that are rich in theme because I like my boardgames to be escapist rather than strictly intellectual affairs.

Right now, I'm playing Martin Wallace's new rendition of the French Indian War, A Few Acres of Snow, and the mindless Quarriors! Also, Dominant Species, and the dungeon delving flicking game, Catacombs. My favorite board game of all time is Avalon Hill's Magic Realm. I have three copies of it...two from the manufacturer and one I built myself using Karim Chakroun's awesome graphics.

So hello! This seems to be a nice place. I may stick around...
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Ken B., OldHippy

More
21 Sep 2011 20:19 #104010 by Dair
Welcome mikecl. I'm sure you could quickly become a favorite around here if you offered up one of your copies of Magic Realm in the next math trade.

More
21 Sep 2011 20:36 #104011 by DeletedUser

edulis wrote: ... I played a game of Dr. Hedgehog with my 3 year old last night, until she put the game away because I would not let her cheat *sigh* Damn it if the dice rolls an apple you take an apple, you do not cahnge the dice to show the fuckin' mouse!

"I suggest a new strategy, R2 edulis: let the Wookiee 3 year-old win."
The following user(s) said Thank You: edulis

More
21 Sep 2011 20:41 #104012 by Shrieking Emu
Howdy all. Been meaning to join up here for a while and finally bit the bullet today. I'm Cody Jones, and I'm one of the hosts of the Game On! with Cody and John podcast. I started playing with M:tG in middle school which led into D&D 1st and 2nd ed, which led to Talisman, which led me to a ton of games after that. I'm friends with AT'er Dair (wdgrant) and we play a good deal of games together.
The following user(s) said Thank You: san il defanso

More
21 Sep 2011 20:55 #104014 by jeb
EVERYBODY SHUT UP.

So.... hey... "mikecl" you say? That's great, yeah. Lookin' mighty fine today, yes. What's that unusual box there--Mah what? Magic Realm? Redone by "kar-thuh-ginny-what?" Looks OK, I guess. Bring it a little closer, lemme get a loo--

YOINK.

More
21 Sep 2011 21:43 #104017 by Ken B.

Shrieking Emu wrote: Howdy all. Been meaning to join up here for a while and finally bit the bullet today. I'm Cody Jones, and I'm one of the hosts of the Game On! with Cody and John podcast. I started playing with M:tG in middle school which led into D&D 1st and 2nd ed, which led to Talisman, which led me to a ton of games after that. I'm friends with AT'er Dair (wdgrant) and we play a good deal of games together.

Awesome, Cody! Love the podcast. Welcome to the Fort!

More
21 Sep 2011 23:05 - 25 Sep 2011 14:48 #104021 by Schweig!

ldsdbomber wrote: then, some guy posts "where is ldsdbomber" (thats the thread you want for some laughs)

I read that. Two things:

a) MisterCranky has diplomatic immunity on BGG. He can write anything and not get punished.
b) Apparently BGG is getting worse and worse.

Anyway, if you get a new IP address BGG shouldn't be able to delete new accounts you create that quickly.
Last edit: 25 Sep 2011 14:48 by Schweig!.

More
22 Sep 2011 06:21 - 22 Sep 2011 06:27 #104059 by bomber
ah, dont worry, my ISP gives me automatic IPs, I think theyre actually checking new user registrations and where the logins are happening. I was only playing, I have some old accounts I can use if I need to, but I can get what I need without logging in. I'm only making someone's day with the new user deletions. Guy clearly doesn't have a girlfriend so I'm keeping him off the streets. Think I'll hang around here for a while, seems like it's a lot more relaxed, and people can call you a twat if and when you are one without all the ner nee ner ner school rule shit over there, and having to deal with all those nerds who just want to be contrarian and troll every thread, and try to tell people what and where and when and why they can post anything because they know better.

anyway, I'm looking forward now instead of behind, and I've even left Agricola on the shelf to unbox and start learning Gears of War haha

also, I've only myself to blame really for letting myself get caught up in that shit, and fannying about organising "my collection" and hovering around trying to get involved and forgetting to take a step back. I've learned my lesson though, I think.
Last edit: 22 Sep 2011 06:27 by bomber.

More
22 Sep 2011 07:31 #104064 by SaMoKo
I personally enjoy Agricola and haven't tried Gears of War. It's ok man, there's no cult here pushing you to like any given game.

If you're looking for something new though, try out Sekigahara. Tried it yesterday and it's really cool. I think it's somewhere between a Euro, an abstract and a wargame. I love when GMT mashes up the best of many genres.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.690 seconds