October 09, 2023
2518 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2718 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place for boardgame traitors.

Beatles ROCK BAND

More
01 Jun 2009 14:29 #31007 by Michael Barnes
OK, E3 may as well just shut down at this point, not interested in anything else. Thanks.

Microsoft opened the damn thing with a press conference at which Ringo and Paul, along with Yoko Ono and Mrs. Harrison, showed up. Talk about kicking things off with a bang, that's practically as close as we can get to a Beatles reunion. Not only did they announce ten of the tracks (including "Taxman" which was one of my top requests), but also that there will be _full album DLC_ of all the records. Holy. Fucking. Shit.

It's going to be interesting to see how they do "Eleanor Rigby" without string instruments or anything with a sitar or harpsichord. Or "Tommorrow Never Knows".

The design looks really, really awesome too...great imagery/visual style.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Jun 2009 14:36 #31010 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Re:Beatles ROCK BAND
I know that there is a lot of (irrational) hatred for Yoko Ono, but I'm glad that she and also Mrs. Harrison showed up for this appearance. That makes me feel like nobody is getting screwed over or exploited by the game.

More
01 Jun 2009 14:36 #31011 by ChristopherMD
Replied by ChristopherMD on topic Re:Beatles ROCK BAND
This will be bigger than Jesus.

More
01 Jun 2009 14:41 #31013 by Ken B.
Replied by Ken B. on topic Re:Beatles ROCK BAND
But still no ROCK BAND: OASIS? For shame.

More
01 Jun 2009 14:45 #31015 by Shellhead
Ken B. wrote:

But still no ROCK BAND: OASIS? For shame.

Rock Band: Oasis would need a combat system, for the hilarious antics of the Brothers Gallagher.

More
01 Jun 2009 14:46 #31016 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Re:Beatles ROCK BAND
I think it really kind of shows, as a cultural barometer, how far video games have come. It's amazing to think that one of the bands that defined so much of what rock n' roll is about and has had such a profound impact artistically and culturally is part of a video game. And that all of that music is going to be made interactive and accessible. It's not something new, obviously, but I think this kind of shows that video games are as mainstream now as they ever have been and that they are driving culture now as much as music, art, and cinema have in the past.

One thing I like a lot about what we're seeing about the game is how it really serves to tell the Beatles' story- it's cool, all of the famous performances like the Ed Sullivan show, Shea stadium, and the roof of the Apple building are all there. And the later stuff is all in-studio. It'll be interesting to see how the transitions and shifts in their music are depicted.

I'm so hyped up for this I can't believe it. I was already, but with more details I think this is right on track to be the best video game of 2009. When Branham gets it, I have a feeling we're not going to be doing much board gaming.

More
01 Jun 2009 14:47 #31017 by Shellhead
Yeah, Guitar Hero and Rock Band tend to trample over boardgames the same way Magic: the Gathering once trampled over my rpg sessions.

More
01 Jun 2009 14:47 #31018 by Michael Barnes
Rock Band: Oasis would need a combat system, for the hilarious antics of the Brothers Gallagher.

If there was some way to combine PUNCH-OUT and ROCK BAND...

I offered to pop Branham in the jaw the other night after I did "Don't Look Back in Anger".

More
01 Jun 2009 15:15 #31023 by billyz
Replied by billyz on topic Re:Beatles ROCK BAND
Michael Barnes wrote:

I think it really kind of shows, as a cultural barometer, how far video games have come. It's amazing to think that one of the bands that defined so much of what rock n' roll is about and has had such a profound impact artistically and culturally is part of a video game.

Well, you know what they say about old whores and old bulidings: once they've been around long enough they gain a degree of respectability-- and video games have come a long freaking way from coin-op PONG. How much money does the video industry game generate annually? Mmm, hmm. Now how surprised are you, really, that even artist of the Beatles caliber don't mind schlupping their hallowed brand onto some video game?

More
01 Jun 2009 15:36 #31029 by moofrank
Replied by moofrank on topic Re:Beatles ROCK BAND
I was on bass. You would have had to dive across the drummer to hit Baden instead.

My guess is that you would have died.

As to your statement that E3 is basically over. An hour and a half later, Microsoft announced something called Project Natal. While I have some skepticism, I think the Wii is now basically dead.

More
01 Jun 2009 16:19 #31038 by Michael Barnes
YES...Natal looks cool. That could be the future of video games, right there.

IF it works. And if it doesn't wind up being a glorified EyeToy or something to that effect.

IF there are games for it that aren't just shitty "move around the living room" junk.

IF it releases at less than $500.

IF developers start exploring the possibilities of "controller-less" gaming NOW, which I'm sure they are.

I dunno, by the time it hits shelves Wii will already be getting toward its EOL so it could be a case of "too little, too late". Whatever Nintendo has planned for its follow-up to Wii has got to be something really, really awesome to compete against it if this thing pans out.

More
01 Jun 2009 16:35 #31042 by Shellhead
At some point, blurring the definition of controller may be a bad idea. Will only skilled martial artists be capable of playing a Natal martial arts game?

More
01 Jun 2009 16:51 #31048 by Not Sure
Replied by Not Sure on topic Re:Beatles ROCK BAND
Shellhead wrote:

At some point, blurring the definition of controller may be a bad idea. Will only skilled martial artists be capable of playing a Natal martial arts game?

I'm hoping for a reverse effect, where Natal experts begin thinking they're skilled martial artists. Hilarity will ensue.

More
01 Jun 2009 17:07 #31058 by Rliyen
Replied by Rliyen on topic Re:Beatles ROCK BAND
Not Sure wrote:

Shellhead wrote:

I'm hoping for a reverse effect, where Natal experts begin thinking they're skilled martial artists. Hilarity will ensue.

... Then will the lawsuits come in a mighty deluge to put the Great Flood to shame.

"I hurt ma ass fightin' som' 'maginaree foe! Eye demans som kompensastion for mah injuries!"

More
01 Jun 2009 17:29 #31064 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Re:Beatles ROCK BAND
I'm remaining very cautious about Natal. I thought wii motion control would be about 1000 times cooler than it ended up being. I was originally excited by the possibilities of the wii. In practice, I'm extremely unimpressed.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.220 seconds