October 09, 2023
2518 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2720 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place for boardgame traitors.

Beatles ROCK BAND

More
02 Jun 2009 16:12 #31187 by Juniper
Replied by Juniper on topic Re:Beatles ROCK BAND
Ken B. wrote:

But still no ROCK BAND: OASIS? For shame.

Step 1: take ROCK BAND: BEATLES
Step 2: change the song titles
Step 3: ROCK BAND: OASIS.

Of course, The Beatles stole *everything* from The Monkees. In a just world, we'd all be playing classics like "Daydream Believer" in front of our TVs, not juvenile crap like "Love Me Do."

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Jun 2009 16:41 #31188 by Not Sure
Replied by Not Sure on topic Re:Beatles ROCK BAND
Michael Barnes wrote:

How could I perform "Dark Entries" without some eyeliner, man?

Can't. In total agreement there. Make sure to draw it all the way down the side of your face too.

There's actually some Bauhaus stuff that would be awesome for GH/RB...Daniel Ash is actually probably my favorite guitarist ever. Not the most proficient, but hugely creative.

Yeah, a lot of that stuff would be fun, but most of it would fall into the GH "uncanny valley" of "this is so much easier on a real guitar, WTF?" Daniel Ash is a top ten for me as well, even if a lot of his stuff is simple.

As for L&R, "Sweet Lover of Mine" would actually be pretty good...but thinking about it, "Kundalini Express" would be one of the better tracks for the format along with "Ball of Confusion" (although it's a cover). I'm betting it's going to be "So Alive" or possibly "Motorcycle" though. Boo.

"Kundalini Express" would a good choice, but "Ball of Confusion" is really only interesting for the bass player, and I'd imagine that line gets boring pretty quickly. "So Alive" would be slow and plodding, I can't imagine it being included as a GH track. More energy is required. "Motorcycle" is a distinct possibility, though. As is "No New Tale to Tell", which on reflection, is probably the real candidate song.

You ever see Love and Rockets do "Yin and Yang" live? It's apocalyptic.

More
02 Jun 2009 16:56 #31190 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Re:Beatles ROCK BAND
Yeah, a lot of that stuff would be fun, but most of it would fall into the GH "uncanny valley" of "this is so much easier on a real guitar, WTF?"

HA! Too true! That's so irritating, "I can really play this, WTF?!"

At one point in high school, I was in a really dumb band. We covered like EVERY song on "In the Flat Fields". The songs were shit-hot fun to play. Our repetoire also included "No New Tale to Tell" and Jane's Addiction's "The Mountain Song" (which I can't perform worth a shit on RB, of course).

You ever see Love and Rockets do "Yin and Yang" live? It's apocalyptic.

Twice. It was a surprisingly great show both times.

More
02 Jun 2009 18:09 #31197 by mjl1783
Replied by mjl1783 on topic Re:Beatles ROCK BAND

Yeah, a lot of that stuff would be fun, but most of it would fall into the GH "uncanny valley" of "this is so much easier on a real guitar, WTF?"

I hate that. The GH games are the worst offenders, too. Like that pedal tone lick in "Cliffs of Dover," where you have to keep alternating between the orange and the other buttons in descending order. Why is it so hard? It's not that hard on a real guitar, you just HOLD THE FUCKING G NOTE! The main melody is the same way, way harder in the game than in real life. But then the solos are a complete cake walk, WTF?

Don't even get me started on "Raining Blood." "Hey, you didn't play that shitty, incomprehensible mess at the end quite right. 4 stars." Yeah, 'cause I'm sure Slayer do it note-for-note when they play it live. Bullshit. Bullshit. Bullshit.

More
02 Jun 2009 18:26 - 02 Jun 2009 18:27 #31199 by Not Sure
Yeah, anything with even a basic arpeggio becomes extremely difficult to play on what's basically an electronic diddley-bow.

I want my other five strings back!
Last edit: 02 Jun 2009 18:27 by Not Sure. Reason: vowels is hard to choose right.

More
02 Jun 2009 18:31 #31200 by Michael Barnes
The worst to me is drums. I can't play them at all. It's TOTALLY counter-intuitive when you're not hitting the kick on every kick in the song. That doesn't make sense to me. And the actual drum layout...uh...well, that's fine if it's 1988 and you're playing synth-drums in The Information Society.

More
02 Jun 2009 18:58 #31204 by Not Sure
Michael Barnes wrote:

The worst to me is drums. I can't play them at all. It's TOTALLY counter-intuitive when you're not hitting the kick on every kick in the song.

My drum experience is limited. However I had to explain to my wife (who is far more musical than I am) that paradoxically, the game gets easier as you play it on harder levels, since it begins to somewhat approximate the tune underneath. Nothing drives me crazier than playing a song I know on "easy" and having there only be one note when I clearly know there are two there. My Wiimote skronks every time...

Speaking of, what level do people normally play at? I find it difficult to believe that everyone plays at Expert all the time and I just totally suck. I normally play "Hard" on GHWT, except some of the later metal/punk stuff which requires that I actually practice the song to survive the intros.

More
02 Jun 2009 19:28 #31209 by mjl1783
I haven't played World Tour, but on everything else I go expert or nothing. Well, except if I'm singing on Rock Band, then I play easy because I'm usually piss drunk, and I can't really sing anyway. Hitting most notes isn't difficult, perfectly matching the vibrato is. At any rate, there's nothing worse than having to restart a song a million times just because one guy insists on playing a difficulty level he can't handle.

I can almost beat the Rock Band drum game on expert, but that "Run to the Hills..." Man, I've met good real-life drummers who have trouble with that. Oh, and "Next to You" by the Police? Well, I mean, it's Copeland.

My girlfriend usually plays on expert with the normal controller.

More
03 Jun 2009 02:29 #31223 by Octavian
Replied by Octavian on topic Re:Beatles ROCK BAND
So the Demo of RB Beatles that I saw today showed multiple vocal tracks - sometimes with all four singing. They going to be able to pull that off with a single mic?

More
03 Jun 2009 06:53 #31229 by mjl1783
Aerosmith did it. Didn't you ever see the "Love in an Elevator" video?

More
03 Jun 2009 07:28 #31232 by Schweig!
Replied by Schweig! on topic Re:Beatles ROCK BAND
Ken B. wrote:

But still no ROCK BAND: OASIS? For shame.

ROCK BAND: BLUR is better.

More
03 Jun 2009 09:31 #31236 by Michael Barnes
ROCK BAND: PULP beats 'em both.

More
03 Jun 2009 09:34 #31238 by Juniper
Replied by Juniper on topic Re:Beatles ROCK BAND
Due to the threat of litigation, ROCK BAND: SUEDE will now be known as THE LONDON ROCK BAND: THE LONDON SUEDE.

More
03 Jun 2009 12:10 #31249 by Michael Barnes
Does it have "Animal Nitrate" on it? "Metal Mickey"?

More
03 Jun 2009 18:30 #31319 by moofrank
Replied by moofrank on topic Re:Beatles ROCK BAND
I can play most things on Hard guitar in both games, and the 1-3 star stuff on Expert. On drums, I can manage 0-1 star stuff on hard. I've really not been able to get to the drums much.

For Beatles Rock Band, they used 3 mics at the conference. Technically, you can bolt together as many USB mics as your USB hub can support. The trick is what kind of interface you need to work out which mic is which before you start.

Personally, I want to know if the 360 version will support the Stage Kit. It would be criminal if it didn't.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.183 seconds