October 09, 2023
2521 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2723 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

What PURCHASES are you RESISTING?

More
25 Feb 2020 12:34 #307451 by charlest
Pax Pamir is not Leder. It's Cole and his brother Drew's company Wehrlegig. They have much less cash and couldn't afford the risk so it was a small initial print run.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Jackwraith

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Feb 2020 14:28 #307456 by jpat

Frohike wrote: I've enjoyed Conan but the latest campaign is a little hard to swallow. $100 for the Tome of Skelos, a couple of maps on one board, some more minis (of course...), and some co-op rules & scenarios (7 of them solo, 6 new 1 v. all). Judging from the price of past expansions, it seems like I'd be paying an extra $40-$50 for the Kickstarter Plastic Excess tax. And another coffin box really doesn't help. I think my FOMO has flatlined on this one, especially since a 2.0 is apparently in the works. This almost seems like a campaign to just rope in customers who didn't get the initial King pledge.

Yeah, I dunno. I'm in, but probably not for the best of reasons. Relative to the Beyond the Monolith debacle, this is an infinitely better-run campaign. Compared to the first-round expansions from Monolith, this seems like decent value, both in terms of scenario count and components. Compared to the original KS core+King, it's probably not a good value, but it's likely the King level especially was well underpriced for sustainability (and then it was such a success as a preorder that there were relatively few who wanted just the core in retail at MSRP).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike, drewcula

More
25 Feb 2020 14:30 #307457 by Gary Sax

charlest wrote: Pax Pamir is not Leder. It's Cole and his brother Drew's company Wehrlegig. They have much less cash and couldn't afford the risk so it was a small initial print run.

John Company revised edition coming later this year from Wehrlegig. Looks like Drew quit his job so they're going in on the company hard.

More
25 Feb 2020 17:20 #307472 by cdennett
Possibly not in the spirit of this thread, the Pax Pamir re-print KickStarter is coming up on March 10th... Sounds like there will be some sort of upgrade pack for existing owners plus an opportunity to get the coins (which I'm very sad I didn't snag when I saw them available)...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
25 Feb 2020 17:46 #307474 by Not Sure
The "upgrade pack" apparently is a change in the ruler tokens (from invisible laser-cut to screen-printed) and possibly some cards with typos.

Not really necessary for me, but I might go back and get the dumb coins because I like this game so much and the rest of the production is 110%.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample

More
26 Feb 2020 07:26 - 26 Feb 2020 07:26 #307486 by Ah_Pook
If you're like me you will think pax Pamir is rad and then no one will ever play it with you and then you will trade it away or sell it. Ymmv obviously but that game was like pulling teeth trying to get people to play it.
Last edit: 26 Feb 2020 07:26 by Ah_Pook.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
26 Feb 2020 08:12 #307488 by lj1983
the kickstarter update specifically says there won't be an upgrade pack, since the only thing changing are the leader tokens and some typos. Unless you consider buying the leader tokens the upgrade pack.

More
26 Feb 2020 11:31 #307497 by Scott_F
Debating on buying Lords of Hellas main expansion, Dark Ages. Now in stock most places online for a mere $80, or double what I paid for the base game. I'm still tempted to get it for more variety in the heroes, quests, and monsters. Other parts of the expansion like Poseidon and higher player count seem frowned upon. And I'm avoiding the city of steel board expansion that bgg says is missing the board.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WadeMonnig

More
26 Feb 2020 11:49 #307500 by hotseatgames
Dark Ages stuff is good. The rest of it is easily ignored. 5th player expansion is not out of the question, but the 6th player doesn't work without adding the 5th, making it less useful by far.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike, Scott_F

More
26 Feb 2020 12:39 #307504 by charlest
I'm very mixed on the Dark Ages expansion. I may even be negative if I had to fall one way or the other.

I hate how much longer it takes to setup and how much more storage the game requires. I hate the janky balance which gets away from the smoother core. Poseidon sucks and is borderline broken.

I hate that each monument has a stupid little reference card you have to share instead of a big one for each player like the base. I hate the lack of consistency in card size and quest token font. I hate the fact that often you can outright ignore a new 4th monument like Haphaestus and the extended setup time wasn't worth it.

There is additional variety but it's not smooth or comfortable.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike, Scott_F, WadeMonnig

More
26 Feb 2020 12:56 #307505 by Shellhead
"The only way to get rid of temptation is to yield to it... I can resist everything but temptation." -- Oscar Wilde
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
26 Feb 2020 13:47 #307506 by Scott_F
I grabbed sun lord and the KS hero already...do I need Dark Age? Is it worth it for Hades and any other new gods and the new monsters/heroes/quests?

More
26 Feb 2020 14:04 #307507 by hotseatgames
I agree with Charlie about Poseidon. The death god one was cool. I threw all my stuff together so I'm not the greatest judge of what goes with what.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Scott_F

More
26 Feb 2020 15:02 - 26 Feb 2020 15:03 #307509 by charlest
The Hades hell thing is cool where you're limited in returning dead dudes to the battlefield, but even that module is kind of janky as the Warriors of Hades are a rich get richer mechanism that is tacked on.

I also remembered another thing I hate about Poseidon - the ports are awful because they're very hard to see on the board.
Last edit: 26 Feb 2020 15:03 by charlest.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Scott_F

More
27 Feb 2020 17:10 #307549 by southernman
Very proud of myself - two hours to go and I am successfully resisting Arena: The Contest !
I wised up and realised I have 6 or 7 big (hours of gameply) KSers arriving in the next 12 months on top of a lot of other great games needing playtime so it just was not going to get much table time for years …. 1 hr 50m to go.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, dysjunct, jay718, Frohike

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.208 seconds