October 09, 2023
2549 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2745 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Trashdome: Corey Konieczka vs Kevin Wilson

More
06 Apr 2011 20:29 #93304 by Schweig!
mjl has left the building.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Apr 2011 00:18 #93310 by Stephen Avery
I am voting for the huge cyborg ettin Kevin Konieczkalson. It has red lazer eyes and breathes fire. With one swipe of its mighty malformed claw, it can both rend a human in half and use the intestines for a new diceless combat system. FFG also grafted on Thaadds lips and larynx for great customer service.

I am about to start a geeklist for the FFG great customer service/game Design Death Cyborg Ettin.

Better read it soon though. FFG will put out a cease and desist notice as soon as I start listing the good stuff.

Steve"Oops did I let the giant cyborg ettin out of the bag?"Avery

More
07 Apr 2011 08:14 #93316 by Schweig!
Did FFG ever think about letting Kevin Wilson redesign a Corey K design?

More
07 Apr 2011 08:45 #93317 by mads b.
I'm voting for Corey. Death Angel is just such an unbelievably tight game and I think it's impressive how it captures the theme and feel of a different game in an entirely different way. And Starcraft kinda does the same just with a computer to board game translation.

I did not know Kevin did stuff on A Game of Thrones which is one of my all time favourite games. But even though - and even though I adore Arkham Horror and am quite fond of Doom - the new Civilization game is a huge turd that disguises itself as a well made functioning game. You can play it, you can even have fun, but it leaves you all empty and unsatisfied at the end. So that's another reason to vote for Corey.

More
08 Apr 2011 05:05 #93404 by Turek
Vote for Kevin.

More
08 Apr 2011 10:04 #93423 by JoelCFC25
Vote: Kevin Wilson

I base that purely on Cosmic Encounter and Android, since I'm one of the odd ducks that actually likes Android.

As for Corey's games, Battlestar Galactica was fine, but I soured on it enough to eventually sell it to a friend. I thought Starcraft was a bit of a turd.

More
08 Apr 2011 11:09 #93432 by san il defanso
Man, Kevin sure is getting a TON of credit for Cosmic Encounter, and he really hasn't done much beyond not messing it up, as I understand. He deserves credit for treating the game with respect, and spearheading the release, but the bulk is basically what it was back in the 1970's isn't it?

More
08 Apr 2011 11:12 #93433 by clockwirk
Yeah. I guess whomever is in charge of not screwing up the Dune re-release will be our winner next year. This should be "standing on the shoulders of giants-dome".

More
08 Apr 2011 12:49 - 08 Apr 2011 12:50 #93459 by Dair
I am going to vote for Corey K.. I love BSG and that is the one that probably puts this tough choice over the top for me.
Last edit: 08 Apr 2011 12:50 by Dair.

More
08 Apr 2011 16:55 #93503 by LilRed
Oj this is a tough one. (good one, Jur!) Both have designed very good games. In the beginning I loved Corey's streamlined design for example card resolved combat. But frankly I have grown a bit tired of his designs (BSG being the game that disappointed me most). While still being tight and streamlined show too little diversity. Kevin Wilson seems to be closer to classic Ameritrash, more rules, more dice. The fact that Doom (a heavily under-appreciated game)made me see the light that is Ameritrash, makes the choice easier: Vote Kevin Wilson

More
08 Apr 2011 22:18 #93531 by Mr Skeletor
My vote is comming, don't close this yet.

More
09 Apr 2011 08:01 #93540 by southernman
From my less-than-adequate knowledge of these two guys and their sole work plus their assisted work (which is which is where I'm weak at) my comparisons show:

Original & Sole
Corey
    Battlestar Galactica
    Runewars
    Middle Earth Quest
    Death Angel
    Mansions of Madness
    Starcraft
    Twilight Imperium 3: Shards of the Empire
Kevin
    Descent
    Doom
    Warcraft: The Boardgame
    Android
    Civilization
ReDos
Corey
    Warrior Knights
Kevin
    Arkham Horror
    Cosmic Encounter
    Fury of Dracula
Assists (?)
Corey
    Twilight Imperium 3: Shattered Empire
    Tide of Iron
    Warcraft: Adventure Game
Kevin
    Game of Thrones

Where do I start - from the bottom will do.

Assists
Since I have little idea on how much of an assist there was in each I can't really give much weight to this, except I love Tide of Iron and it seems Shattered Empires 'fixed' TI3 for many people.
Slight advantage: Corey

ReDos
Fury of Dracula and Warrior Knights are both brilliant 'altered' redos, while Arkham Horror and Cosmic Encounter are both great reimplementations.
Slight Advantage: Kevin

Orginal & Sole
Both guys have an extensive portfolio but, to me, they both seem very different in style. This means they may appeal to different people in a very black and white way, and so it is with me. Only one of them has a good selection of games I enjoy or I would like to try.

Vote: Corey

More
09 Apr 2011 08:44 #93542 by Columbob
Runewars is as much a redo as Arkham Horror.

More
09 Apr 2011 09:33 #93545 by SuperflyPete
Hats off to you, Tom. This is a great side-by-side.

Southernman wrote:

From my less-than-adequate knowledge of these two guys and their sole work plus their assisted work (which is which is where I'm weak at) my comparisons show:

Original & Sole
Corey

Battlestar Galactica
    Runewars
    Middle Earth Quest
    Death Angel
    Mansions of Madness
    Starcraft
    Twilight Imperium 3: Shards of the Empire
Kevin
    Descent
    Doom
    Warcraft: The Boardgame
    Android
    Civilization
ReDos
Corey
    Warrior Knights
Kevin
    Arkham Horror
    Cosmic Encounter
    Fury of Dracula
Assists (?)
Corey
    Twilight Imperium 3: Shattered Empire
    Tide of Iron
    Warcraft: Adventure Game
Kevin
    Game of Thrones

Where do I start - from the bottom will do.

Assists
Since I have little idea on how much of an assist there was in each I can't really give much weight to this, except I love Tide of Iron and it seems Shattered Empires 'fixed' TI3 for many people.
Slight advantage: Corey

ReDos
Fury of Dracula and Warrior Knights are both brilliant 'altered' redos, while Arkham Horror and Cosmic Encounter are both great reimplementations.
Slight Advantage: Kevin

Orginal & Sole
Both guys have an extensive portfolio but, to me, they both seem very different in style. This means they may appeal to different people in a very black and white way, and so it is with me. Only one of them has a good selection of games I enjoy or I would like to try.

Vote: Corey

You're crazy. Doom and Descent, plus Cosmic and Arkham beat the piss out of any of the other games Corey has done. Kevin, without a doubt, for the win.

More
09 Apr 2011 12:29 #93548 by jur
Mr Skeletor wrote:

My vote is comming, don't close this yet.

What's taking you so long, are you trying to play all their games again before deciding? Or are you preparing a write up to match Southern?

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.340 seconds