October 09, 2023
2220 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2440 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Painting Minis, Print & Play and Other Creative Type Stuff.

What Minis Are You Painting?

More
14 Oct 2009 10:44 #44686 by ubarose
We painted our Last Night on Earth heroes this weekend. It was so much fun, that after we were done, we decided to tackle the Talisman minis.

Plus, our FLGS was having a Columbus Day Weekend sale, so all the paints were 20% off. It took three trips to the store to get all the colors we wanted. We'd be painting, and realize that we could really use a real purple, or a good color for blond hair, and I'd go off to the store again. Of course, once I was there I couldn't resist getting several other colors. The Man was totally cool about it. Not only didn't he give me any grief when he saw how many pots of paint I had on the table by Monday night, he pretty much let me paint to my hearts content. Even when the sink started leaking, and we had a huge pool of water in the craft room, and he had to completely disassemble the sink, and ended up installing a new tap and faucets, he only bothered me twice to hold the flash light, once to get a towel, and once to call the plumber.

The Man painted a couple of minis and probably would have painted more if he didn't have to spend so much time with his head under the sink. We discovered the Spawn has talent as well. Having slave labor with little hands and young eyes to get those main blocks of color on really makes things go quickly.

It was interesting to paint the Talisman characters, which are so bright and storybook, right after painting the Last Night on Earth dudes, which are dark and gritty. I'm pretty pleased with how most of them turned out. I just have a bit of touch up to do, and then sealing. I'm beginning to cast my eye at our other games. I'm thinking Betrayal my be next.

MVPC: Most Valuable Paint Colors for the weekend- Vomit Brown, mostly because the Spawn got to say "Pass the Vomit," and then giggle.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Oct 2009 11:02 #44689 by Shellhead
I've been too busy lately to get back to painting, but I'm working on both Space Hulk and Fury of Dracula. The FoD figures are less intricately sculpted but smaller, so they should prove just as challenging as the Space Hulk figures.

I'm surprised that you're going to paint your Betrayal figures. Were your figures unpainted? Or are you going to strip the original paint job and do a better one?

More
14 Oct 2009 11:06 #44690 by Matt Thrower
I'm doing my old Space Hulk figures, not the new ones. But I've just discovered, half way through the first Terminator, that all my metallics have dried up and now I'm going to have to wait several days for new ones to come via mail order before I can carry on. Most frustrating :(

For those of you painting "flexi-plastic" figures, don't you find there's a problem with the paint cracking and flaking where the figures bend?

More
14 Oct 2009 11:13 #44692 by Shellhead
MattDP wrote:

For those of you painting "flexi-plastic" figures, don't you find there's a problem with the paint cracking and flaking where the figures bend?

I haven't gotten that far with my practice work on the Zombies!!!, but I suspect that spraying sealant would protect against paint cracking and flaking. Otherwise, dipping in varnish would definitely do the job.

More
14 Oct 2009 11:30 #44693 by ubarose
RE: Betrayal. I'm just thinking about possibly giving the figures a wash so they look less flat. But I don't yet know how they are sealed and if the paint will stick.

RE: flexi-plastic. Yes, I found that they crack more. I talked to the mini painting expert dude at the store, and he agreed that the flexi plastic is harder to paint and chips, cracks more easily. He sold me some sealer and told me it would help.

More
14 Oct 2009 11:34 #44695 by Space Ghost
I am working on Fury of Dracula. Finished Seward last night and will try Van Helsing tonight. In general, I like things to be done as good as possible, but I am starting to realize that expectation doesn't really meet with my abilities.

More
14 Oct 2009 13:24 #44710 by Dr. Mabuse
I have all my Space Hulk Marines primed but now I'm just waiting for my courage to arrive. It should have come weeks ago.

Fucking Valley Games!

(Hey, I gotta blame someone.)

More
14 Oct 2009 13:42 #44711 by OldHippy
I just finished my Cave Troll dudes, thinking of going back to the tide of Iron painting that will never get done. Just the tanks even and I would be happy. Space Hulk is at least a year away still.

More
14 Oct 2009 14:02 #44712 by HiveGod
Ugh... too many projects in the pipeline, and too much hop-scotching around...

- FFG Talisman figs
I figured I'd just Heroscape 'em, dab on color like a political prisoner and dip... but ended up doing each one like a table-top minis game hero or army leader fig: inking, shading, the whole boat. It's an albatross, I tells ya...

- Cadians for 40k
Painting up two squads for my Genestealer Cult army. Lemme tell ya, power armor plates are waaay easier to paint than pants, jackets, belts, straps, canteens, clips, grenades, li'l hands & faces.

- A brand-spankin' new Space Marine army for 40k
Two squads, Terminators, a Dreadnought & Chapter Master, all riding bareback in three drop pods. A thousand points, or a thousand hours?

- Oh, yeah: SPACE HULK
All these, too.

Dammit.

More
14 Oct 2009 14:06 #44714 by MattFantastic
We've had our LNoE dudes ready for dipping and sealing for waaaay too long now. I should really get around to finishing that.

More
14 Oct 2009 14:39 #44715 by HiveGod
As for the flexi-figs, a varnish dip is probably the way to go—I have some older ones that I dipped & they are rock-solid with no cracking or chipping.

This was a big concern of mine with the new Talisman figs, so I hit them with three good coats of spay seal and try to remind everyone not to bend, flick or throw them... which really goes against my baser instincts. "Gloves and masks, everyone! Just point where you want to move & I'll use my llama-skin tongs to nudge your piece into position." Makes me feel like the gamers I despise...

If it turns out to be folly, what the fuck, it wouldn't be the first time. Play hard, have a great time & if some minis get savaged in the process at the very least make it hilarious!

More
14 Oct 2009 14:54 #44717 by skrebs
I don't think I would be painting anything if it wasn't for Tom Hancock's guide that he posted here. That article, and a guide to the dip method at BGG, gave me the courage to paint the Terminators from Space Hulk. It was my first time painting, outside of some figures for Shadows over Camelot (that I never finished), and I had a blast.

I'm not sure why, but I'm having trouble starting the Genestealers... maybe because there are so many of them.

I have a possible trade for some Warmachine figures, so if that works out, I'll have a few more in line.

More
14 Oct 2009 14:56 - 14 Oct 2009 14:57 #44718 by Hatchling
Dr_Mabuse wrote:

I have all my Space Hulk Marines primed but now I'm just waiting for my courage to arrive. It should have come weeks ago.

Fucking Valley Games!

(Hey, I gotta blame someone.)

LOL. I know that feeling. (It took me quite a few bouts of self-encouragement for me to take a knife to the Warriors of God map.)

Just jump right in like the DIY bad ass that you are, Anthony!

...but take things slow...and do it in short 30 minute shifts...:)

edit: fucking valley games!
Last edit: 14 Oct 2009 14:57 by Hatchling.

More
14 Oct 2009 19:40 #44737 by Mr Skeletor
Chaos in the old world. Done Khorne (took 2 nights). Nurgle is next.

Painted heaps of FFG figs and have never seen one crack.

More
14 Oct 2009 20:29 #44739 by ubarose
Mr Skeletor wrote:

Painted heaps of FFG figs and have never seen one crack.

Did you need to seal them or anything?

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.391 seconds