Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

TOPIC: What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing?

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 07 May 2018 14:19 #272817

It's the opposite - the player who spent the least (has the most money remaining) is eliminated. The game requires you to blow through your cash and to be irresponsible, but those who do so with wanton abandon will lose to others with more careful bidding.

There's a lot going on in the game's subtext critiquing our societal mentality of keeping up with the joneses. I think that's far more interesting (particularly with how the game smashes together incentives versus moral degradation) than the fun being had.
  • charlest
  • D10
  • Thank you received: 2013
Last Edit: 07 May 2018 14:20 by charlest.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 07 May 2018 14:20 #272819

I have never played High Society, but I can't let another post go by not mentioning how gorgeous the new edition is.
  • hotseatgames
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D10
  • Thank you received: 2026

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 07 May 2018 14:56 #272824

charlest wrote:
It's the opposite - the player who spent the least (has the most money remaining) is eliminated. The game requires you to blow through your cash and to be irresponsible, but those who do so with wanton abandon will lose to others with more careful bidding.

Whoa- make sure you have that right. I just dug up my copy and it says plainly that the player with the least money (thus the player that spent the most) is eliminated and doesn’t even evaluate their holdings. That’s a major part of the game- balancing spend versus save. It’s really more about being responsible!
  • Michael Barnes
  • Mountebank
  • HYPOCRITE
  • Thank you received: 7008

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 07 May 2018 15:10 #272828

Michael Barnes wrote:
charlest wrote:

Whoa- make sure you have that right. I just dug up my copy and it says plainly that the player with the least money (thus the player that spent the most) is eliminated and doesn’t even evaluate their holdings. That’s a major part of the game- balancing spend versus save. It’s really more about being responsible!

Shit, we totally played that wrong. Getting this back to the table tomorrow.
  • charlest
  • D10

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 07 May 2018 16:09 #272833

For an auction game, I prefer For Sale. It's always a blast seeing the cardboard box and the outhouse.
  • stoic
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D8
  • Cobra Kai!
  • Thank you received: 832

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 08 May 2018 08:46 #272870

Michael Barnes wrote:
charlest wrote:

Ok, played three games of it correctly last night and it was better. Should be hitting the table again before the week is over.

That mechanism isn't really about being responsible though is it - being responsible would be passing on every auction and saving your money. It's really about being just responsible enough, ideally by the skin of your teeth. Keep up with Joneses and whatnot, but don't end up pushing too hard and losing it all. Lack of money is fine as long as it's behind the scenes and nobody sees it. Debt nation and all.
  • charlest
  • D10

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 08 May 2018 16:18 #272897

Spent a long weekend with some friends in Montreal and got in a good slate of variety, with several new to me games I had been eager to try along with some tried and true favorites.

Spacecorp. The first two eras went relatively fast; there was a fair amount of Infra sharing, so players were drawing a lot of extra cards. One player, Dominick I think, discovered every bad tile possible - both Critical Delays as well as the PHOBOS alien tile. Total play time was a little over three hours I think. I look forward to the final edition coming out later this year; unlikely it makes WBC from the looks of it.

Angola. The setup saw both sides sort of at their mid game consolidation point , as FNLA/UNITA held the entire southern front up to Benguala/Novo Lisboa, mostly, while the Commies got the entire inland plateau and the central road was quickly cleared. This put the western factions well ahead of schedule as Novo Lisboa usually takes half the game to fall . FNLA took Cabinda pretty quickly, which helped the cause and UNITA rolled up the coast. But this meant that the Commies got a lot of toys and they held off the rebels and eventually pushed back a bit. The FAPLA/MPLA airforce was maxed out several turns. This was offset by MPLA losing four armored units to mines in like the same turn. The game went til the final turn, although the Commies needed a miracle. They made a good attempt, taking all 5 VP markers from UNITA, but it wasn't enough. A rare ANGOLA game to go the distance but enjoyable as always .

Battle of the Five Armies. I didn't know we would be playing a variant where Neville Chamberlain would be replacing Gandalf the Grey. Rob's Shadow Armies rolled over my Fellowship chumps, I think only losing two units the entire game and winning before the Eagles showed up, let alone Beorn. The Lonely Mountain was basically ceded to the bad guys . The first three turns at least half my dice were Character dice, which when your forces are small isn't much good. Compounding this, almost all my recruit tokens turned up as the same troop type as the existing forces; in a game that rewards unit diversity, this meant I had few tactical options in battle. An ugly play of a great game.
Saturday:

Combat Commander: I got in three plays from the Tourney battle pack. I think I set a new record for fast losing. I played Codes in the Sunrise, a scenario I've played and won three times, maybe four. Using my usual German defense, I made an error sticking around instead of running; the Brits wiped out my top stack in Melee and it was all downhill from there; I Surrendered shortly after my first deck out.

The Expanse. Never played before but having recently watched the show I was interested. The game components work, but are pretty sub par. If this sells well, I could def see a need/opportunity for an upgrade. Game play is pretty simple, its basically area control . The twist is that each of the four factions is fairly well distinguished with unique abilities that do a good job thematically from the TV show. That said, the event cards are pretty bland and I wouldn't say its an immersive experience. It plays fairly quick and I like the mechanic of the game possibly ending at five scoring rounds instead of six.

Star Trek Ascendancy. Had never played before and took the Romulans in our four player game. Only Chuck had played before. My early tile draws killed several ships and I was the last to make contact, thus depriving me of the valuable trade concessions. Our game saw no combat and Chuck's Cardassians got a decent Culture ending going to pull out a pretty easy win. We gacked a few rules, but all enjoyed it and will def want to play again. I may look at the Borg solo rules . The only downside is that the table sprawl is pretty big for a four player game. Sure draws attention when people walk by.

Auztralia. Looks like Martin Wallace designed something decent this time. Only one of us had played. We started way too close together, so we were running into each other vs spreading out and building farms and armed units to defeat the Old Ones that wake up out in the Outback. By game end, the Old Ones beat us on VP. I like this; my only concern is that I don't see how less than four players can beat the Old Ones given that the extra time granted doesn't seem like enough to offset having less players.

Med Scirocco. This Atlantic Storm re-theme has some cool variances from the original, but hampered by some really poor graphics execution. Some of the worst card art choices ( hard to read font, dark color font on dark background ) . For die hard fans of the base game only...if that.

Time of Crisis: got in a four player game . Got Emperor early and had a relatively easy time. Chuck took over after I racked up several turns in charge and almost tied me, but his Support Level kept dropping due to multiple enemy armies doing donuts on his front lawn ( an effective tactic to slow down Emperors ) . I kicked him out and ended the game. One player had a ton of barbarians show up in Egypt and Syria and while his Support Level suffered, he racked up a lot of Legacy whacking them to come in a respectable third.
  • Msample
  • D8
  • Thank you received: 807
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, ChristopherMD, JMcL63, Jackwraith, Frohike, Sevej, Nodens

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 09 May 2018 15:29 #272947

My wife likes playing Conquest of Nerath, the last play of which made me nostalgic for A&A, so, with her assent, I picked up a copy of Axis and Allies Anniversary Edition, and we set it up last Friday. Despite (or maybe because of) having the whole day not at work, we got a late start. The rules were pretty simple to translate over. (My wife says, rightly, that I analogize games in a way that sometimes confuses her but that I was actually right, for once, in comparing CoN to A&A.) We went at it most of the afternoon, then picked up again for much of Saturday. We finally put it away yesterday because we needed the table back, but we never quite finished. A&A's a "long" game, but we went even longer because, I think, we were unsure of how to go for each other's throat effectively, so there was a lot of muddling. She took out Russia as the Axis and had a major buildup in Europe and Asia, with the Japanese taking a bunch of formerly Russian territory. At that point, I wanted to concede, but despite me arguing that it was sort of a tradition not to go the full distance on the game, she wanted to press on. About the best I could do was get the British entrenched in Scandinavia and confine the Japanese largely to the home islands. When we dropped off, we were still in disagreement about who would've won -- eventually -- she arguing me and me her. Anyway, we had a good time with it, and the Anniversary Edition, apart from too-thin map panels that bow, is a good presentation. Part of me still wants to play Global (Europe 1940 + Pacific 1940, whose board comes in at something like six feet wide, but the more sensible part of me can't imagine.
  • jpat
  • D6
  • Thank you received: 293
Last Edit: 09 May 2018 15:29 by jpat.

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 09 May 2018 16:24 #272954

Msample wrote:
Spacecorp. . . . I look forward to the final edition coming out later this year; unlikely it makes WBC from the looks of it.

"Late Summer" appears to be their current guess on arrival time. But I've pre-ordered this one, and whenever I pre-order from GMT there's a strike at Long Beach and the game gets delayed. Sorry about that.

My gaming weekend, Ocean View Delaware, monster vacation house, 18 guys aged 18 through 85, $1400 for Thursday through Sunday, included the following:

Thursday
1. Glory to Rome. Black edition. I had to relearn the game again, but it's getting easier. I did well and enjoyed it. The game never plays the same twice, a nice feature.

2. Quartermaster General. I like this one, but man oh man did it go strange with the decks. I was the Soviets and the Germans were underplayed by a guy that couldn't read the cards. The print is too small for people with older eyes. I have an eternal war in Ukraine, kept the Axis out, but it largely meant that I couldn't move in any other direction. I kept expecting my allies in Europe to come to my aid, but the British got really strange cards and the Americans went all in on the Japanese, that were just crushing it in the Pacific. Eventually the Allies won, but it went the full length and the Axis lost because they ran out of cards. The game should have played better, but odd circumstances inserted themselves. It's short enough that we'll get another shot at it.

Friday
3. Alexandria. This is a solid euro that I really enjoyed. It has turn order like Jenseits von Theben but there's a mechanic where you can make somebody else help you with your turn. They lose actions because of that, and on round 2 I got completely nuked because other players used all of my actions. I got some benefits from it, but not half of what I would have gotten if I had had control. That was frustrating. But on rounds 3 and 4 I gained control of my gal (I was the Roman woman that wants to burn the building down) and I was able to make up for the lost opportunities in round 2. There's enough heft and enough time to get plans into place, and I look forward to getting another shot at this one. That's pretty rare for euros for me today, especially from small companies.

4. Netrunner with my son who is just a few days shy of 18. We have a policy of legal adults only, but Sean is a really reserved kid and plays better than most adults. So he got invited a year early. This was a Father's Day gift a few years back and we got to play two or three times, but we haven't had the time to sit down to it for an extended period of time, and we had forgotten how to play again. I always play corporate, he that runner. The first game was a mess because we didn't even set the decks up right. But game two was much better, and I set a trap that just nuked my boy. I really worked it -- set the card down and defended the hell out of it to set the hook. When he hit it he was pissed at himself. He scrambled his way back a bit and played well with what he had, but the win was mine. Game three he was much more careful and he cracked me open with a broad spread of attacks. Each time we sit down we work to relearn the rules, and by the time we're done we've gotten better at our roles. I may look to get an expansion, but we haven't even started deck-building with what we have yet. Good game.

5. Thunderstone Quest. Third printing of this game. My group has two copies for some reason. It's fine.

6. Star Wars Destiny. I bought this based on Matt's review here, and promptly landed two Yodas that I sold for about $85 and paid for my booster packs. Great art, a lot of fun to look at. My buddy had prefab decks that we played, he beat me, we switched decks, I beat him. Had a good time though. This was late Friday evening and we were getting a little punchy. So, our friend James pulled out . . .

7. Bob Ross: Art of Chill Game. An image of my buddies playing --

If you're unaware, Bob Ross is the guy that was on Joy of Painting on PBS, that showed you how to paint landscapes. The game is about gathering colors for your palette and scoring points, and has Bob Ross paintings for all of its rounds and even a plastic easel (in the photo, on the right) that comes with it. I was drinking rye whiskey at this point and it was after midnight, so The Art of Chill seemed more reasonable than it normally would have. The guy on the left insisted we read every bit of flavor text, which likely would be creepy if you were playing at 2pm. "Let's paint that tree a friend!" Seemed pretty reasonable at the time.

Saturday
8. Warriors of God. The pre-weekend email chain included wish lists and I mentioned I was going to play WofG one way or another, solo or against someone. The guy on the left above is a big fan of the game as well and we played the Lion in Winter scenario, the first time for each of us. It's a little more wild than the 100 years war scenario, but still quite a game. We had people dropping left and right due to disease, but there's ways to handle that and I think I managed it a little better than my opponent. He played very well as the English, got out to an early lead, I caught up and passed him middle-game and then held on for the win. Went all 12 turns. Really a great play, we were at it for five hours but we weren't rushing anything. Saturday morning into lunch time.

9. Photosynthesis. Got this as a birthday gift in the mail. A fine game, but I'll need to play it a couple more times to have it down. Enjoyed it.

10. Merchant of Venus. The younger guys had gotten this out the night before, and we let them find their own way through it. There was some discussion about us older guys making sure the younger players were supported and that we invite them into our games. But they had it going on and were pulling out games and cracking open rule books. These are late teen/early twenties guys that supposedly need a YouTube video for everything doing the leg work to learn a game like Merchant of Venus from scratch, and they played correctly. We answered a couple of questions. The "young people don't read anymore" stuff you see on the Internet is bullshit. It's us older people that are too impatient to crack the rule book. These guys were going to town on big games and weren't looking to be hand-held.
We picked the game up the following night and my son and three of us old guys got a game in at light-speed. Three players taking turns simultaneously, once you rolled the dice you passed them to the next guy and we motored through it in no time. I was the guy placing chits out onto the board, and man what a pain in the ass job that is when the other three players are all doing business at the same time. But -- I damn near won without realizing it. My son took the win a couple of turns ahead of me.

11. Cash 'n Guns. I couldn't care less about this game. But it was at the end of three days of play and I had had a fair share of whiskey at this point. Not sloshed, just softened. Played, lost, didn't worry about it too much.

This year I had a bottle of Lot 40 rye whiskey which was just right for the event. There was too much food and too much sugar in the place and I needed something dry and simple and not too filling. My buddy had me try a sour beer and we won't be having another one of those. The rye was a fine choice.

As was the weekend. This in my opinion is the ultimate con -- cheap, friendly, plenty of game and plenty of players that I'm comfortable with and a venue that is top-notch. I realize a lot of you like the big conventions, but pound for pound nothing compares to a beach house in the off-season for a great time gaming.

S.
  • Sagrilarus
  • D12
  • Thank you received: 3158
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, wkover, Msample, lj1983, hotseatgames

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 09 May 2018 16:35 #272956

Sagrilarus wrote:
Msample wrote:
Spacecorp. . . . I look forward to the final edition coming out later this year; unlikely it makes WBC from the looks of it.

"Late Summer" appears to be their current guess on arrival time. But I've pre-ordered this one, and whenever I pre-order from GMT there's a strike at Long Beach and the game gets delayed. Sorry about that.

My gaming weekend, Ocean View Delaware, monster vacation house, 18 guys aged 18 through 85, $1400 for Thursday through Sunday, included the following:

Thursday
1. Glory to Rome. Black edition. I had to relearn the game again, but it's getting easier. I did well and enjoyed it. The game never plays the same twice, a nice feature.

2. Quartermaster General. I like this one, but man oh man did it go strange with the decks. I was the Soviets and the Germans were underplayed by a guy that couldn't read the cards. The print is too small for people with older eyes. I have an eternal war in Ukraine, kept the Axis out, but it largely meant that I couldn't move in any other direction. I kept expecting my allies in Europe to come to my aid, but the British got really strange cards and the Americans went all in on the Japanese, that were just crushing it in the Pacific. Eventually the Allies won, but it went the full length and the Axis lost because they ran out of cards. The game should have played better, but odd circumstances inserted themselves. It's short enough that we'll get another shot at it.

Friday
3. Alexandria. This is a solid euro that I really enjoyed. It has turn order like Jenseits von Theben but there's a mechanic where you can make somebody else help you with your turn. They lose actions because of that, and on round 2 I got completely nuked because other players used all of my actions. I got some benefits from it, but not half of what I would have gotten if I had had control. That was frustrating. But on rounds 3 and 4 I gained control of my gal (I was the Roman woman that wants to burn the building down) and I was able to make up for the lost opportunities in round 2. There's enough heft and enough time to get plans into place, and I look forward to getting another shot at this one. That's pretty rare for euros for me today, especially from small companies.

4. Netrunner with my son who is just a few days shy of 18. We have a policy of legal adults only, but Sean is a really reserved kid and plays better than most adults. So he got invited a year early. This was a Father's Day gift a few years back and we got to play two or three times, but we haven't had the time to sit down to it for an extended period of time, and we had forgotten how to play again. I always play corporate, he that runner. The first game was a mess because we didn't even set the decks up right. But game two was much better, and I set a trap that just nuked my boy. I really worked it -- set the card down and defended the hell out of it to set the hook. When he hit it he was pissed at himself. He scrambled his way back a bit and played well with what he had, but the win was mine. Game three he was much more careful and he cracked me open with a broad spread of attacks. Each time we sit down we work to relearn the rules, and by the time we're done we've gotten better at our roles. I may look to get an expansion, but we haven't even started deck-building with what we have yet. Good game.

5. Thunderstone Quest. Third printing of this game. My group has two copies for some reason. It's fine.

6. Star Wars Destiny. I bought this based on Matt's review here, and promptly landed two Yodas that I sold for about $85 and paid for my booster packs. Great art, a lot of fun to look at. My buddy had prefab decks that we played, he beat me, we switched decks, I beat him. Had a good time though. This was late Friday evening and we were getting a little punchy. So, our friend James pulled out . . .

If you're unaware, Bob Ross is the guy that was on Joy of Painting on PBS, that showed you how to paint landscapes. The game is about gathering colors for your palette and scoring points, and has Bob Ross paintings for all of its rounds and even a plastic easel (in the photo, on the right) that comes with it. I was drinking rye whiskey at this point and it was after midnight, so The Art of Chill seemed more reasonable than it normally would have. The guy on the left insisted we read every bit of flavor text, which likely would be creepy if you were playing at 2pm. "Let's paint that tree a friend!" Seemed pretty reasonable at the time.

Saturday
8. Warriors of God. The pre-weekend email chain included wish lists and I mentioned I was going to play WofG one way or another, solo or against someone. The guy on the left above is a big fan of the game as well and we played the Lion in Winter scenario, the first time for each of us. It's a little more wild than the 100 years war scenario, but still quite a game. We had people dropping left and right due to disease, but there's ways to handle that and I think I managed it a little better than my opponent. He played very well as the English, got out to an early lead, I caught up and passed him middle-game and then held on for the win. Went all 12 turns. Really a great play, we were at it for five hours but we weren't rushing anything. Saturday morning into lunch time.

9. Photosynthesis. Got this as a birthday gift in the mail. A fine game, but I'll need to play it a couple more times to have it down. Enjoyed it.

10. Merchant of Venus. The younger guys had gotten this out the night before, and we let them find their own way through it. There was some discussion about us older guys making sure the younger players were supported and that we invite them into our games. But they had it going on and were pulling out games and cracking open rule books. These are late teen/early twenties guys that supposedly need a YouTube video for everything doing the leg work to learn a game like Merchant of Venus from scratch, and they played correctly. We answered a couple of questions. The "young people don't read anymore" stuff you see on the Internet is bullshit. It's us older people that are too impatient to crack the rule book. These guys were going to town on big games and weren't looking to be hand-held.
We picked the game up the following night and my son and three of us old guys got a game in at light-speed. Three players taking turns simultaneously, once you rolled the dice you passed them to the next guy and we motored through it in no time. I was the guy placing chits out onto the board, and man what a pain in the ass job that is when the other three players are all doing business at the same time. But -- I damn near won without realizing it. My son took the win a couple of turns ahead of me.

11. Cash 'n Guns. I couldn't care less about this game. But it was at the end of three days of play and I had had a fair share of whiskey at this point. Not sloshed, just softened. Played, lost, didn't worry about it too much.

This year I had a bottle of Lot 40 rye whiskey which was just right for the event. There was too much food and too much sugar in the place and I needed something dry and simple and not too filling. My buddy had me try a sour beer and we won't be having another one of those. The rye was a fine choice.

As was the weekend. This in my opinion is the ultimate con -- cheap, friendly, plenty of game and plenty of players that I'm comfortable with and a venue that is top-notch. I realize a lot of you like the big conventions, but pound for pound nothing compares to a beach house in the off-season for a great time gaming.

S.

I wish that they'd reprint Glory to Rome. I'm finding solace, however, in Innovation. I know there are bootlegs available, but, I don't own any bootlegs.

Funny someone should mention Merchants of Venus. I'm glad to see this is getting played (and by younger people too!). Several weeks ago I was thinking that I needed to get this back in play so I ordered the Daedalus organizer wooden insert which makes setup and takedown a breeze.

I still want to play Warriors of God every single time that you mention it. I'm going to have to get that game one day.
  • stoic
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D8
  • Cobra Kai!
The following user(s) said Thank You: bendgar, Sagrilarus

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 09 May 2018 16:51 #272965

stoic wrote:
I wish that they'd reprint Glory to Rome. I'm finding solace, however, in Innovation. I know there are bootlegs available, but, I don't own any bootlegs.

Funny someone should mention Merchants of Venus. I'm glad to see this is getting played (and by younger people too!). Several weeks ago I was thinking that I needed to get this back in play so I ordered the Daedalus organizer wooden insert which makes setup and takedown a breeze.

I still want to play Warriors of God every single time that you mention it. I'm going to have to get that game one day.

You can still find the original clamshell edition with cartoon art relatively cheap - still overpriced for what you get component wise, but way cheaper than the grail black box edition.

MoV was ahead of its time, shame it didn't get better reception when FFG redid it.

WoG - I've been playing the Lion in Winter scenario more often - as Sag mentions its wilder than the other one with both sides having enemies in their backyard a lot of the time. Five hours is a pretty leisurely pace, I'd say half that time is more typical, even when games goes the distance, which is rare.
  • Msample
  • D8
  • Thank you received: 807
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus, stoic

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 09 May 2018 16:52 #272966

The best part about that Bob Ross pic is the Star Wars CCG box on the table. I'm still rocking the purple Boba Fett box myself (think it's in my Millennium Blades box).
  • charlest
  • D10

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 09 May 2018 17:37 #272973

charlest wrote:
Michael Barnes wrote:
charlest wrote:

Ok, played three games of it correctly last night and it was better. Should be hitting the table again before the week is over.

That mechanism isn't really about being responsible though is it - being responsible would be passing on every auction and saving your money. It's really about being just responsible enough, ideally by the skin of your teeth. Keep up with Joneses and whatnot, but don't end up pushing too hard and losing it all. Lack of money is fine as long as it's behind the scenes and nobody sees it. Debt nation and all.

There is a game where you're trying to blow through all of your resources but it's a really dry Euro called Last Will.
  • Stonecutter
  • D6
  • Thank you received: 301

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 09 May 2018 18:52 #272992

Sagrilarus wrote:

I forgot to say that this game should have included Boss Ross whigs and beards for all players.

I just have this image of everyone at the table wearing them.

bross.jpg

I've seen this game on clearance at Target. So, is it worth it?
  • stoic
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D8
  • Cobra Kai!

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 09 May 2018 20:38 #273000

stoic wrote:

I've seen this game on clearance at Target. So, is it worth it?

Oh hell no. You kidding? I was playing after midnight with 16 hours of gaming and a dose of whiskey in me at the time. It was a moment of weakness.

The cartoony version of Glory to Rome works just fine. Grab it and play.
  • Sagrilarus
  • D12
  • Thank you received: 3158
Last Edit: 09 May 2018 20:42 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, stoic
Time to create page: 0.433 seconds