October 09, 2023
2515 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2716 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What KICKSTARTER(S) are you BACKING and WHY?

More
28 Feb 2019 09:00 #293171 by charlest
Yeah I have a lot of faith in Mydel, the Polish designer. Besides the 1st edition, he also did the 7 Ronin game Grey Fox put out which is a very nifty two player Seven Samurai thing.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Mar 2019 16:31 - 04 Mar 2019 16:35 #293394 by jpat
Hey, at this moment, only 53 more hours to jump on this marvelous piece of globby plastic. Two hundred forty-six people have done it. You can too.

www.kickstarter.com/projects/petersengam...=cthulhu%20harbinger

Nothing like a panic sale to suggest the need for a cash infusion.
Last edit: 04 Mar 2019 16:35 by jpat.
The following user(s) said Thank You: charlest

More
04 Mar 2019 16:39 #293395 by hotseatgames
Ugh. I'm not loving that sculpt, not that I'd buy it even if I did. I do think the "tentacle beard" is an interesting artistic choice, though.
The following user(s) said Thank You: charlest

More
04 Mar 2019 17:48 - 04 Mar 2019 17:55 #293397 by Colorcrayons
The sculpt itself is fairly mediocre. The wings reduce its impact a notch.

What is legit bad though, are the hands clasped in prayer as the terminus of the metatarsal phalange used by bats as a grasping claw.

The significance is confusing.

Is Cthulhu instructing you on the proper form of obeisance towards him?

Is he performing obeisance towards another Elder God?

The answer to both is no.

Cthulhu does not instruct. Cthulhu's presence itself as the harbinger of madness alone is all that needs to be conveyed. Cthulhu cares not for your limited, humanocentric ideas of worship. Or any worship at all.

Cthulhu does not prostrate before other deities either. As if any deity in the supposed mythos would prostrate before any other, is nonsense.

This is by Sandy Peterson? The guy who knows so much about Lovecraft that he makes Joshi appear uninformed?

It's fucking utter bologna is what it is.

That sign of obeisance is something I expect from, and would be at home in, a model in Kingdom Death.
Last edit: 04 Mar 2019 17:55 by Colorcrayons.

More
04 Mar 2019 17:52 #293398 by Michael Barnes
So much respect lost on that thing! What a joke! It looks like one of those wax mold statues you get at the beach!

And having only one red one, WTF? Like it’ll ever be worth anything as a collector’s item...

Total fucking garbage. It reeks of a distress sale.

More
04 Mar 2019 18:07 #293399 by cdennett
The sculpt comes from the Planet Apocalypse game, where the demons from Hell are inspired from historical religious imagery, hence probably where the praying hands come from (and yes, Cthulhu has no business there, but it's Sandy Petersen...who also got a version of the Doom Spider Mastermind thing into the game, as well). Yes, the sculpt does not look awesome in the pictures and the cost for what you get is silly. Kinda shocked it's doing as well as it is, but good on them if people will consume what they produce. It in no way takes anything away from me otehr than a couple of rules cards that I've personally decided aren't worth the cost. I'm already getting the "mini" via the PA Kickstarter, so I'll just proxy the rules if I ever feel the need to include it elsewhere.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WadeMonnig

More
04 Mar 2019 21:17 #293400 by Michael Barnes
Would you please stop being even-handed and reasonable about this very serious gaming issue?
The following user(s) said Thank You: jpat, cdennett, WadeMonnig

More
05 Mar 2019 14:24 #293424 by Sagrilarus
Definitely a Home Shopping Network vibe to this one.

More
05 Mar 2019 14:42 #293425 by cdennett
Yeah, I think Petersen Games has too many employees and I suspect the HyperSpace KS, while it didn't do bad, wasn't a big enough success to put them in comfortable financial territory. They really need another evergreen game besides Cthulhu Wars.

More
05 Mar 2019 14:44 #293426 by hotseatgames
The funny thing is, even though my friend has a shit ton of Cthulhu Wars, I would strongly consider buying my own copy if Petersen put out a smaller, more reasonable version of it. Hell, leave the board the same way and just make it so that I can actually pile the appropriate forces into a goddamn space!
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars

More
05 Mar 2019 15:13 #293428 by Vysetron
I like Cthulhu Wars just fine and think it's plenty well designed, but I have trouble believing we'd still be talking about it if it weren't for the spectacle. That sticks in people's heads more than any other quality it has. Making a cheaper version of it now that it represents the height of board game opulence is just something they aren't going to do when they can just sell more of it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Josh Look

More
05 Mar 2019 15:18 #293429 by Jackwraith
Yeah. I'm OK with it, too. I enjoy it. But do I think it's the be-all, end-all of that type of game? Not even close. The spellbook path is too predictable; the impact of the Great Old Ones is often too easily neutralized for what they are, thematically; and it's too damn difficult/expensive to pick up other factions for it to see if that variety would shake off those aforementioned issues. If they were selling other factions on PG's website for a decent price, I'd grab them. But until that happens, Wars is going to be several steps below other games that just seem to have more depth or at least less obvious strategies.

More
11 Mar 2019 18:46 #293682 by trif
Really tempted to go for this one
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, dysjunct, Josh Look, Gregarius, DarthJoJo, Ah_Pook

More
14 Mar 2019 10:34 #293799 by hotseatgames
Okay, so the KS for the new Root expansion is up. I'm ready to get on this bandwagon. I can pay full retail for the 4th printing of the base game with the KS. OR..... I can get it online or at a FLGS for about $13 less.

Do I need to concern myself with what printing I get?

More
14 Mar 2019 10:38 #293800 by Vysetron
If you don't mind waiting for the delivery, get the reprint. It has balance changes printed on it instead of needing the update kit they're putting out.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, hotseatgames, Virabhadra

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.524 seconds