October 09, 2023
2520 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2721 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What KICKSTARTER(S) are you BACKING and WHY?

More
26 Oct 2021 10:47 #327439 by charlest
I thought the retail packaging consisted of versus sets with two characters? My friend who is into it has a bunch of those and I agree, that slimmed down product is the way to go.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Oct 2021 10:53 #327440 by Jackwraith
Dice Throne has always appealed to me, because it's in the category of games that I really enjoy, with multiple disparate factions within the same system; like Neuroshima Hex. It's also something that, like Hex, you could throw together for a game with someone for 20 minutes while you're waiting for the rest of the group to arrive. But I have that completionist's jones that makes me think it'll be another huge package of 20+ factions sitting on my shelf that doesn't see enough play and...

Yeah. Just can't do it. I should probably get on a couple of the local Discords and see if someone else has a copy.

More
26 Oct 2021 12:16 #327449 by Ah_Pook

charlest wrote: I thought the retail packaging consisted of versus sets with two characters? My friend who is into it has a bunch of those and I agree, that slimmed down product is the way to go.

It does, but it still equals out to $100 and a huge amount of space if you get an entire season of characters, and this is a game where you definitely want to have a bunch of characters to mix and match. The first ever release was 6 characters in a single rationally priced and sized box, and that is what this game wants imo.

More
26 Oct 2021 12:53 #327450 by hotseatgames
Pledged for Damnation: The Gothic Game. This looks amazing and I've always wanted to try this game out. It's absolutely the kind of game we like in my house.

www.kickstarter.com/projects/blackletter...c-game-0/description
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Mabuse, the_jake_1973, n815e

More
26 Oct 2021 17:37 - 26 Oct 2021 17:39 #327472 by southernman
Awaken Realms latest extravaganza Lords of Ragnarok is out on Gamefound but I'm not going in, I was thinking about having both (I already have Lords of Hellas) but after watching a decent video on it I've decided that I dislike some of the rule changes (from LoH) enough that I probably wouldn't choose to play it for a change over LoH.
Mythwind looked very interesting but in the end I thought it would just be too nice and uneventful (not exciting) for me, City of the Great Machine looks a good game but (for me) there just isn't enough game in it for the price.

I'm still interested in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim so will give it a good chance to impress me when it launches early November, and Awaken Realms Lite Gaijin stays on my radar even though their design and play-testing has put it back many months.
Last edit: 26 Oct 2021 17:39 by southernman.

More
16 Nov 2021 09:17 #328002 by hotseatgames
Not many days left for Damnation: The Gothic Game, if you want to get in on the KS.

www.kickstarter.com/projects/blackletter...c-game-0/description
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Mabuse, sornars

More
18 Nov 2021 00:24 - 18 Nov 2021 14:54 #328066 by Virabhadra
The Monsterpocalypse Kickstarter broke $1,000,000 with a bit less than two days to go. www.kickstarter.com/projects/1162110258/...pocalypse-board-game

MP is an outstanding game that has suffered from terrible release strategies for over a decade (first as a collectible game, then as a hobby miniatures game.) This is, finally, a definitive "board game" version: non-random, expandable, no-assembly-required.

With the number of stretch goals that have been unlocked, the Core Set is an excellent value for the price and whole factions are available as individual add-ons. Backwards compatible with the older v1 pre-painted figures. I don't know much about Mythic Entertainment, but I can definitely vouch for the game itself.
Last edit: 18 Nov 2021 14:54 by Virabhadra.

More
18 Nov 2021 14:22 #328085 by DarthJoJo
www.kickstarter.com/projects/1964freeatl...t-last-0/description

Not sure if I’ll be backing it, but I’m glad Ted Torgerson’s Free at Last is finished. A good surprise as the last I’d heard was that he’d given up on the idea. Possibly because it was hard to find someone to play the segragationist South.

Anyway, it’s a card-driven game where players are the various factions fighting cooperatively for civil rights in the mid-twentieth century United States and competitively to be remembered. No gameplay videos, but Torgerson is donating his royalties to a charity fund and one of the stretch goals is donating the game to schools. Seems cool.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Dr. Mabuse

More
18 Nov 2021 15:22 #328087 by Gary Sax
Oh, neat, I might do this one. Ted is a good designer and this is a good idea!

My blood ran cold when I thought someone was going to play Southern state governments at first! I have a hard enough time playing civil war south positions. Luckily, that is not the setup.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Mabuse

More
19 Nov 2021 11:04 #328094 by southernman

Virabhadra wrote: The Monsterpocalypse Kickstarter broke $1,000,000 with a bit less than two days to go. www.kickstarter.com/projects/1162110258/...pocalypse-board-game

MP is an outstanding game that has suffered from terrible release strategies for over a decade (first as a collectible game, then as a hobby miniatures game.) This is, finally, a definitive "board game" version: non-random, expandable, no-assembly-required.

With the number of stretch goals that have been unlocked, the Core Set is an excellent value for the price and whole factions are available as individual add-ons. Backwards compatible with the older v1 pre-painted figures. I don't know much about Mythic Entertainment, but I can definitely vouch for the game itself.

I like big KSers but I can't really call $160 + a minimum $34 shipping for a Core 4 player pledge good value.

More
19 Nov 2021 11:08 #328095 by southernman

southernman wrote: ...
I'm still interested in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim so will give it a good chance to impress me when it launches early November, and Awaken Realms Lite Gaijin stays on my radar even though their design and play-testing has put it back many months.

Leaving Skyrim alone - the game doesn't really do much different to other games I have (or are coming), there's not that much to it and it doesn't pop at you, plus there a virtually no stretch goals for the Core pledge (and not much interests me in the expansions) so it will probably end up cheaper in retail if I do want it in 2 years time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
19 Nov 2021 12:14 - 19 Nov 2021 13:03 #328096 by Virabhadra

southernman wrote: I like big KSers but I can't really call $160 + a minimum $34 shipping for a Core 4 player pledge good value.

Keep in mind that 1) this a miniatures game and 2) the Core box isn't a "starter set", it's complete factions.

I was thinking specifically of the monster models, though. The Core box has 20 Monsters in it (they're pre-assembled versions of the newer 'hobby' miniatures). That alone would run you $600 if you were buying the minis at hobby pricing. It would still cost $120+shipping to get that many of the older pre-painted models wholesale these days.
Last edit: 19 Nov 2021 13:03 by Virabhadra.

More
19 Nov 2021 19:51 - 19 Nov 2021 19:56 #328103 by Sagrilarus

Virabhadra wrote:

southernman wrote: I like big KSers but I can't really call $160 + a minimum $34 shipping for a Core 4 player pledge good value.

Keep in mind that 1) this a miniatures game and 2) the Core box isn't a "starter set", it's complete factions.

I was thinking specifically of the monster models, though. The Core box has 20 Monsters in it (they're pre-assembled versions of the newer 'hobby' miniatures). That alone would run you $600 if you were buying the minis at hobby pricing. It would still cost $120+shipping to get that many of the older pre-painted models wholesale these days.

At that price it had better be at least ten pounds.

1500 backers at $450.
Last edit: 19 Nov 2021 19:56 by Sagrilarus.

More
22 Nov 2021 14:37 - 22 Nov 2021 14:37 #328153 by southernman
CMON just announced their special project for their 50th Kickstarter - a Marvel product maybe, or keep with the successful Zombicide series .... a dilemma ... hey, how about .... Marvel Zombies - A Zombicide game :laugh:
Last edit: 22 Nov 2021 14:37 by southernman.
The following user(s) said Thank You: n815e

More
22 Nov 2021 15:17 #328155 by charlest
A couple of YouTubers have already previewed the huge zombie Galactus. Should take bets on what that thing will cost.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.282 seconds