October 09, 2023
2552 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2752 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What VIDEO GAME(s) have you been playing? ARCHIVE

More
17 Sep 2009 14:23 #41769 by metalface13
Yeah I know nothing about it except that it's by BioWare. Do I really need to know more?
The topic has been locked.
More
17 Sep 2009 15:01 #41783 by Black Barney
no, the less you know, the better. It's really fun to discover everything
More
17 Sep 2009 16:17 #41798 by Ken B.
Black Barney wrote:

no, the less you know, the better. It's really fun to discover everything

NO! Don't let him use that line on you...next thing you know, the lights go down, and you'll be very, very sorry.
More
17 Sep 2009 16:30 #41799 by Black Barney
it's like when you asked about the rules to Shower Rescue
More
17 Sep 2009 20:36 #41821 by benny lava
Mario & Luigi RPG 3 for DS was waiting for me when I got home today. Can't wait to tear into it. I would be playing Scribblenauts, but my wife snatched it before I could get to it.
More
18 Sep 2009 04:49 #41858 by Lagduf
To some extent Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 is disappointing. The RPG aspects have been severely dumbed down from the previous games in the series.

But on the plus side, you have an interesting video game take on the comic Civil War arc, that lets you take cool heroes and do match-ups that might have otherwise never occurred if the game had your standard good guys vs badguys plot.

They have added some new stuff that I really like, such as fusions and boosts as well as the ability to have conversations with certain team members when you're at your best.

Some of the characters powersets are less interesting than others. Particularly I dislike wolverine's power set. All his power attacks appear the same to me, while a character like Deadpool has a really nice, diverse power set - melee blow, a dashing attack, a ranged attack, a teleporting status effect attack.

I also particularly like Ms Marvel and Thing.

Deadpool is the star of this game. Such great dialog and voice acting for him all around.

Ultimately the real winner for Ultimate Alliance 2 is online co-op and the fact that there are two distinct campaigns dependent upon which path you choose to go down: Pro or Anti Registration.

I just hope the next game in this series adds more of the RPG elements back, while retaining the best aspects of the new additions added in this title. This feels less RPG now and more straight up dungeon crawling brawler.

PS: Only suckers are Pro-Reg!
More
18 Sep 2009 05:45 #41862 by Turek
i'm buying kickass new pc.
some recommendations for good new scifi/horror games (rpg, shooter, strategy)?
i already have Dead Space, Bioshock, Left 4 Dead
More
18 Sep 2009 10:26 #41880 by Black Barney
Turek wrote:

=
some recommendations for good new scifi/horror games (rpg, shooter, strategy)?
i already have Dead Space, Bioshock, Left 4 Dead

good new scifi/horror games for PC?

Resident Evil 5
The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena
Red Faction: Guerrilla
Prototype
Bionic Commando
Eve Online: Apocrypha
Sins of a Solar Empire: Entrenchment
Swords of the Stars: Argos Naval Yard

Those are all good although some are better than others. My favourites from that list are Swords of the Stars (awesome turn-based sci-fi strategy) and Resident Evil 5 (solid horror shooter 3rd person, adventure elements too).

You've already played Fallout 3 I'm guessing? And Batman Arkham Asylum doesn't interest you?

Let me know what you end up getting and if you like it
More
21 Sep 2009 11:03 #42131 by Black Barney
i got Beatles Rock Band on Saturday morning and played it all night long. Barnes' excellent review on the game says it all. It's really perfect and is quite an experience. When we got to the end of the career and played on the rooftop, i actually felt sadness that this was the beatles' last gig together.

absolutely amazign game and I can't wait to play the challenge modes and try different instruments. Guitar Expert was really fun. Bass Expert is surprisingly difficult.

There's this one song that Paul does that I had never heard (something about a bird) before. I totally love this song, the guitar is a blast to play for that (on expert)

Playing don't Let Me Down was unbelievable as well. Come Together was good too.
More
21 Sep 2009 13:02 #42152 by metalface13
I picked up Mass Effect on Saturday and I'm almost 5 hours in, I became the first human Spectre! Hoorraay!

I'm really liking it so far. I think the game strikes a nice balance between Star Wars and Star Trek while creating its own identity. I also really like the soundtrack which is like an update on the kinds of stuff you used to hear in '70s and '80s sci-fi movies.

The game play is pretty good, it certainly is more engaging than your typical RPG, but then I haven't played any console RPGs since the PSX days. Everything since then has been on GBA or DS and pretty much turn-based.

The inventory system though is a little wonky. Also, can't I get my more tech oriented people to decrypt things for me? I can't figure out how, I know you could do that in Knights of the Old Republic.

My favorite part though is the dialogue system. First off the voice acting is really stellar, but I like how you pick your general tone of what you want to say, rather than something verbatim. So it gives the feel of watching a movie or TV show.

I just went with the standard Shepherd/soldier model, but I'm kind of wishing I had chosen the soldier/biotic class so I could be the one flinging people into the air. Oh well, maybe if I go through the game a second time as a bad ass I'll do that. I'm playing the typical goodie-two shoes now.
More
21 Sep 2009 13:24 #42156 by Michael Barnes
I'm trying really, really hard to get into SCRIBBLENAUTS. There is a honeymoon period with the game where it really is amazing, and you find yourself doing all this crazy stuff and trying out all of these ridiculous ideas. However, after about three brackets of levels, the limitations start becoming VERY apparent, and it seems like there isn't much that a jetpack and a pulse rifle/SAW/rocket launcher/Cthulhu won't solve. Too often, you wind up kind of accidentally falling onto the Starite or winding up with this "how the hell did I do that?" feeling. You come up with these crazy ideas, like "hey, I'll put that guy in a crane and he can drag the Starite away from the bomb" but it doesn't work. You can do everything but the action of actually pulling it away from the bomb. Then, you'd think you do something like blindfold a hostile cop, but when you try it you wind up just giving the blindfold to the cop, and he beats you to death with it.

So many things just don't work like you think they would, but there are at least some options for types of objects and some limited interactions. I also think it's weird that there's about 1000 different words that come up with a bird, plant, or vegetable. I really don't mind that the control is bad, or that if you put in any kind of bread you get the same graphic...but there are other things going on that I think really hamper the game's potential for greatness. I'll play it for an hour, and for thirty minutes I'm really digging it and then for thirty minutes I'm about ready to put it up on Half.com.

The concept is simply more than the game can handle. For it to really work, it would have to be a fluid database where items and _actions_ could be defined and expanded over time. But it is a _incredible_ concept, and the game _is_ fun but when you hit these ceilings it's all too apparent that the game's reach exceeds its grasp.

MARIO & LUIGI: BOWSER'S INSIDE STORY is completely great though...if you like the other Mario RPGs, this is a must-have. It carries forward the simple, yet fun, gameplay of the earlier titles and provides some genuine laughs. It's sort of linear but the story is charming and it's fun to watch it unfold. There's a lot of little mini-games and memorable characters, so far I like it better than PARTNERS IN TIME.
More
21 Sep 2009 13:28 #42157 by Aarontu
You mean in SCRIBBLENAUTS, bleached white bread and organic 37-grain bread are the same?

lame.
More
21 Sep 2009 14:12 #42167 by Black Barney
metalface13 wrote:

I picked up Mass Effect on Saturday and I'm almost 5 hours in, I became the first human Spectre! Hoorraay!

I'm really liking it so far. I think the game strikes a nice balance between Star Wars and Star Trek while creating its own identity. I also really like the soundtrack which is like an update on the kinds of stuff you used to hear in '70s and '80s sci-fi movies.

The game play is pretty good, it certainly is more engaging than your typical RPG, but then I haven't played any console RPGs since the PSX days. Everything since then has been on GBA or DS and pretty much turn-based.

The inventory system though is a little wonky. Also, can't I get my more tech oriented people to decrypt things for me? I can't figure out how, I know you could do that in Knights of the Old Republic.

My favorite part though is the dialogue system. First off the voice acting is really stellar, but I like how you pick your general tone of what you want to say, rather than something verbatim. So it gives the feel of watching a movie or TV show.

I just went with the standard Shepherd/soldier model, but I'm kind of wishing I had chosen the soldier/biotic class so I could be the one flinging people into the air. Oh well, maybe if I go through the game a second time as a bad ass I'll do that. I'm playing the typical goodie-two shoes now.

glad you like it! Soldier is perfect for your first playthrough. Biotic is advanced stuff and I saved that for my Insanity difficulty run through. Biotic is probably the most powerful character I think. It's insane when you pump up Signularity how powerful it is. But when you're a weak biotic at first, you are SO easy to kill. Glad you're having fun. If you're on Veteran difficulty or lower, feel free to spend points in Charm and Intimidate. The extra options you get in dialogue are really funny and fun.
More
21 Sep 2009 14:17 #42170 by mrmarcus
Black Barney wrote:

metalface13 wrote:

glad you like it! Soldier is perfect for your first playthrough. Biotic is advanced stuff and I saved that for my Insanity difficulty run through. Biotic is probably the most powerful character I think. It's insane when you pump up Signularity how powerful it is. But when you're a weak biotic at first, you are SO easy to kill. Glad you're having fun. If you're on Veteran difficulty or lower, feel free to spend points in Charm and Intimidate. The extra options you get in dialogue are really funny and fun.

You should do at least one run-through as a total jerk. It's well worth is in amusement value.
More
21 Sep 2009 14:34 #42171 by Black Barney
agreed. And if you do, be a FEMALE Shephard. The evil (Renegade) female voice-over work is AMAZING. She's way cooler when she's mean.

and make sure you sleep with Liara when you do that too
Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.712 seconds