October 09, 2023
2520 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2721 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What BEER(s) have you been drinking?

More
26 Aug 2009 22:46 #39452 by ubarose
Something possessed me to order a Sam Adams Watermelon beer at the amusement park. Maybe it was the heat that made fruit sound appealing, or the smell of cotton candy that made me crave something pink and sweet. Nasty...nasty, nasty.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Aug 2009 23:25 #39455 by MattFantastic
I pretty much only drink beer I make now. Mostly cause I'm cheap, but I think does also taste pretty fucking good.

We're shredding the Loter Letdown currently.

More
27 Aug 2009 00:17 #39461 by Michael Barnes
Drinking a Bell's Oberon _right now_ as I just finished off this week's Cracked LCD. Ahh, sweet satisfaction.

WATERMELON beer? Uba, what in the hell caused that lapse in judgment? I can abide by their Cherry Wheat, but even that is barely "beer". _WATERMELON_? Are you sure that was a Sam Adams variety and they didn't just put a couple of pumps of watermelon syrup from the snow cone stand in a regular Boston lager?

I think my favorite brewery is probably Terrapin, out of Athens, GA. Everything I've had from them is really, really well done. I had a couple of Sunrays a few weeks ago, talk about an awesome summer beer. A little touch of Savannah honey, but a great white beer taste. Tried the Rye Brown Ale at a pizza joint the other day, loved it too.

More
27 Aug 2009 00:28 - 27 Aug 2009 00:29 #39462 by ubarose
Your right. It wasn't Sam Adams, it was Hooker Watermelon Wheat. (Hooker, Adams, whatever, they are both old, dead, white dudes from New England). And I don't know what I was thinking.
Last edit: 27 Aug 2009 00:29 by ubarose.

More
27 Aug 2009 00:45 #39465 by Not Sure
ubarose wrote:

Your right. It wasn't Sam Adams, it was Hooker Watermelon Wheat. (Hooker, Adams, whatever, they are both old, dead, white dudes from New England). And I don't know what I was thinking.

Probably something along the lines of "It's hot out, do I want beer or watermelon?"

However, a firm decision in this case is essential. See what happens when you compromise?

Watermelon beer.

More
27 Aug 2009 00:47 #39466 by mikoyan
Normally it's either Bass or Guinness

More
27 Aug 2009 01:37 #39467 by KingPut
Last weekend the game group went camping in Hurricane Billy-Bob so I drank a lot of my favorite camping beer and Will Kenyans not so favorite beer National Bohemian. The only problem with drinking lots of Natty Bohs while camping in Hurricane Billy-Bob is having to piss in the woods during Hurricane Billy-Bob.

For game night I brought a 12 pack of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. Normally, I only bring a 6 pack but next week I don't have have to bring any beer. Bobbytweeks has the best gaming cave because it has a full size refrigerator dedicated to beer.

More
27 Aug 2009 07:22 #39486 by mjl1783
Why not Bass AND Guinness? I think I'm gonna' make me some black & tans after work tomorrow night.

More
27 Aug 2009 10:42 #39501 by Partizan
Living here in Montenegro, I've been very fond of drinking Niksicko Tamno, a very nice tasting dark beer.

More
27 Aug 2009 12:09 #39511 by Not Sure
I'm amazed at the market penetration Sierra Nevada has now.

Fifteen years ago, they were practically a local beer for Northern California, now they're apparently everywhere. Good for them, they've always made good stuff. I like their Brown more than the Pale Ale, but even on this side of the country I rarely see it in bottles. The dive across the street has it on tap, though.

I'm more of a Brown Ale sort of guy. I like the hops, but the ridiculous "oh my god can you believe how many hops we use!" IPAs don't really appeal to me.

Default beer: Newcastle.

More
27 Aug 2009 16:12 - 27 Aug 2009 16:13 #39554 by Columbob
Just had lunch at this new micro-brewery/restaurant/pub close to work, Les Brasseurs du Temps. They opened at the end of May and they currently have 6 home brews, as well as some guest beers from other micros and a few imports as well IIRC. And a wide list of spirits and other drinks as well.

Beautiful heritage building in downtown Hull by the creek, you folks from Montréal or Ontario should check it out if you drive by Ottawa.

Link
Last edit: 27 Aug 2009 16:13 by Columbob.

More
27 Aug 2009 16:39 #39562 by Michael Barnes
I like the hops, but the ridiculous "oh my god can you believe how many hops we use!" IPAs don't really appeal to me.

The more inaccessible they make it, the more the elites flock to it. Where have we seen that before?

You really see this kind of attitude in some of the breweries like Stone that tout the extreme bitterness of their IPAs as a selling point. I mean, their ultra-hopped IPA is called "Arrogant Bastard" for a reason. I mean, you've got to be a true beer conniseur to like it, right? Sorry, I'd drink a Bud light over a Stone IPA. It at least tastes somewhat like a beer.

Usually, I like extreme flavors and purity- I like the 80%+ cacao chocolate, the extremely rancid blue cheeses, black French Press coffee, and so on. But I think IPAs and super-hoppy beers get away from what it's supposed to taste like just as much as a watermelon beer or a can of Hamm's does.

More
27 Aug 2009 17:06 #39578 by mjl1783
I don't know about that. It's an aquired taste, no question, but then again, all beer is.

I like an IPA now and again, we usually only get the Harpoon one up here, or whatever I can find in sampler packs, and that's fine with me. That way, I can have a few of them without having to plow through a six pack that nobody else will help me drink.

More
27 Aug 2009 17:18 #39580 by skrebs
Michael Barnes wrote:

I like the hops, but the ridiculous "oh my god can you believe how many hops we use!" IPAs don't really appeal to me.

The more inaccessible they make it, the more the elites flock to it. Where have we seen that before?

You really see this kind of attitude in some of the breweries like Stone that tout the extreme bitterness of their IPAs as a selling point. I mean, their ultra-hopped IPA is called "Arrogant Bastard" for a reason. I mean, you've got to be a true beer conniseur to like it, right? Sorry, I'd drink a Bud light over a Stone IPA. It at least tastes somewhat like a beer.

Usually, I like extreme flavors and purity- I like the 80%+ cacao chocolate, the extremely rancid blue cheeses, black French Press coffee, and so on. But I think IPAs and super-hoppy beers get away from what it's supposed to taste like just as much as a watermelon beer or a can of Hamm's does.

Maybe my taste buds have dulled with age, but I'd take a shot of espresso or Stone IPA over a cup of black coffee or a Bud Light (which technically barely qualifies as beer). It has nothing to do with snootiness and everything to do with taste.

Like I said in a previous post, Dogfish 90 IPA tasted like they added some old lady perfume into the batch, so I certainly don't like EXTREME for extreme's sake.

You don't strike me as humorless so I'm surprised you don't find "Arrogant Bastard" at least a little bit funny.

More
27 Aug 2009 17:37 #39584 by Michael Barnes
Humour? Like milk chocolate, colby chese, and two creams and a sugar, humour is for the weak and cowardly. I am never more serious than when I post online. :-|

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.634 seconds