October 09, 2023
2518 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2718 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
30 Oct 2020 09:22 #315746 by charlest
I watched the Scarlett Johansson horror/sci-fi film Under the Skin which I had not heard of until recently. Wow was it fantastic. Artsy and slow, but it grabbed me and held my strict attention.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Gregarius, Greg Aleknevicus

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Oct 2020 09:55 #315747 by francisbaud
The most recent movie I've watched is War of the Worlds with Tom Cruise. I didn't particularly like it but it passed the time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, ChristopherMD

More
30 Oct 2020 13:46 #315766 by jason10mm

charlest wrote: I watched the Scarlett Johansson horror/sci-fi film Under the Skin which I had not heard of until recently. Wow was it fantastic. Artsy and slow, but it grabbed me and held my strict attention.

Heh heh, I bet :p

Oddly enough, it was the beach scene in that film that still sticks with me today. Just a horrible event.

More
30 Oct 2020 14:18 #315767 by quozl
Watched Eight Legged Freaks again last night. So much fun.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jason10mm

More
30 Oct 2020 14:25 #315768 by ChristopherMD

jason10mm wrote:

charlest wrote: I watched the Scarlett Johansson horror/sci-fi film Under the Skin which I had not heard of until recently. Wow was it fantastic. Artsy and slow, but it grabbed me and held my strict attention.

Oddly enough, it was the beach scene in that film that still sticks with me today. Just a horrible event.

That's when I stopped watching the movie.

More
30 Oct 2020 15:39 - 30 Oct 2020 15:39 #315771 by charlest

ChristopherMD wrote:

jason10mm wrote:

That's when I stopped watching the movie.

While that was horrific, I can't shake the absolute eeriness of the black room scenes.
Last edit: 30 Oct 2020 15:39 by charlest.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jason10mm

More
01 Nov 2020 13:14 #315817 by Erik Twice
I just saw Nosferatu and, well, it was dull. It's a very long movie for what it does. The couple iconic scenes last a few seconds, far less than the scenes where people walk or horses move or characters wake up from the bed. It wasn't bad, just too long for a movie with no characterization nor plot. I think a modern film would cover the whole content in 2-3 scenes.

I would watch it only for its historical vlaue, it's not very interesting as an actual film.

More
01 Nov 2020 14:03 #315825 by Jackwraith
You might like Shadow of the Vampire better. It's a fictionalized account of the making of Nosferatu with John Malkovich and Willem Dafoe, among others. It has a weird kind of horror-but-still-quite-meta vibe.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, jason10mm, Erik Twice

More
01 Nov 2020 14:54 #315829 by Erik Twice

Jackwraith wrote: You might like Shadow of the Vampire better. It's a fictionalized account of the making of Nosferatu with John Malkovich and Willem Dafoe, among others. It has a weird kind of horror-but-still-quite-meta vibe.

Funny you mention that, we actually started watching Shadow of the Vampire but decided to leave it halfway and watch the original just so we understood the movie better. We'll keep watching it later.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
02 Nov 2020 11:27 #315847 by jeb
Films from that era are notoriously baroque. As a medium, the "rules" were still very ill-defined, and the actual intent of the filmmakers can be easily misplaced by modern audiences. Nowadays, we can tell within a few minutes if a film is to be a narrative tale, a slice-of-life, an artpiece, &c. Murnau was using film as an expressive medium, evoking moods, but he also wanted to sell some tickets, hence ~adapting~ a popular novel (it is lifted wholesale from DRACULA, and he got the shit sued out of him). He still gets a lot of things amazingly right, and set a tone for horror films for the next 100 years, so let's give him some credit. Orlok is really creepy, and some of the shots are still really impressive. Murnau went on to make SUNRISE, and was probably a good 15 years ahead of his peers in moviemaking-as-art.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Erik Twice, Gregarius, DarthJoJo

More
02 Nov 2020 11:57 #315848 by Shellhead
Re-watched A Cabin in the Woods, and it's still a favorite of mine. There is a significant meta-commentary element that adds a whole layer to the story as well as some humor. And yet there is still a decent amount of horror and even suspense, and the final reel goes in a very unexpected direction that includes a surprising supporting character. As with classic horror movie Alien, there is one deleted scene that should have been left in to explain a plot point. Other than that, my only complaint is a certain star gets a scraped nose during the action and suddenly bears an unfortunate resemblance to Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer that apparently only I can see. Anyway, great movie. There are better horror movies and there are better comedies, but this hits a nice sweet spot between horror and comedy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RobertB, ChristopherMD, jason10mm, hotseatgames

More
02 Nov 2020 12:57 #315850 by RobertB
"I'm never going to see a merman. Ever."
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
02 Nov 2020 13:18 #315852 by Shellhead
"Tequila is my lady!"

More
02 Nov 2020 13:30 #315853 by jason10mm
What is the deleted scene? I love CitW but I don't think I've ever had it on Blu-ray to see cut scenes.

More
02 Nov 2020 13:53 #315856 by Shellhead

jason10mm wrote: What is the deleted scene? I love CitW but I don't think I've ever had it on Blu-ray to see cut scenes.

The deleted scene reveals that Marty has a hidden compartment inside his fancy bong, and that's where he keeps his special premium stash. His regular dope was tampered with, but he was unaffected because he was smoking the primo. That's why he kept noticing things and proposing rational courses of action.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.611 seconds